Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Help An Aspiring Medical Student - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help An Aspiring Medical Student (8712 Views)

MBBS In The Philippines: A Comprehensive Guide For Aspiring Medical Students / New Whatsapp Group For Aspiring Medical Students / Esther Adaobi Azom Gets Car From Ooni Of Ife As Best Graduating Medical Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 12:40pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
I actually chose UI but I didn't meet up
Then I think you should go for a less competitive university. Maybe you have never been to the north before. But I'll suggest ABU or UNIMAID... these schools are top notch especially when it comes to MBBS... I think Yola and Gombe just started the program.

My advice is that you either keep trying till you reach the cut off or you focus on somewhere else
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by IamGoke(m): 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
wow, what course?
Mechanical Engineering.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by IamGoke(m): 12:44pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
wow, what course?
Mechanical Engineering.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
I'm an aspiring medical student but I think gaining admission is a bit hard. Here in the south, admission is the survival of the fittest.
Its my first try and I got 64.125% as my aggregate score but I didn't make the medical mark which was 78%.
How can I maximize my scores and please I need tips of what to expect before and after admission
So you be small pikin wey no get respect for your elders, dey run mouth up and down?
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by IamGoke(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2018
computergeek:
So you be small pikin wey no get respect for your elders, dey run mouth up and down?

Wetin him do you na??
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Buffalowings3(m): 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2018
Unimaid grin grin
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by TONYE001(m): 2:53pm On Nov 15, 2018
[quote author=Dayellow post=72992343][/quote]

Exactly.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
I'm an aspiring medical student but I think gaining admission is a bit hard. Here in the south, admission is the survival of the fittest.
Its my first try and I got 64.125% as my aggregate score but I didn't make the medical mark which was 78%.
How can I maximize my scores and please I need tips of what to expect before and after admission

It is tough getting into med school, I'll advice you study your basic sciences very well and practice with past question papers.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 15, 2018
kenedy175:
I don't even know what to tell you. Medicine is a really cool course especially when you are established. But medical school is hell. Residency program is something else..

Not to discourage you. But if this is what you want, then go for it. Just focus more on the chemistry, physics and biology. Once you get in, you'll notice that the physics, chem and biology are the least courses you'll ever bother about.

As someone stated, you could try less competitive universities which are well renowned for the MBBS degree especially in the north like ABU, UNIMAID... and other schools. Please a [b]state university shouldn't be [/b]an option.
Bro y
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by SwagPower: 2:55pm On Nov 15, 2018
I'll b graduating from UNILORIN COLLEGE OF HEALTH in February...
Am not gon try 2 discourage u frm pursuing MEDICINE..bT I'll tell u wat no one eva told me...Medical school is very very laborious...u sanity will b tested...it will take a heavy toll on ur health,social life n generally any oda significant part of ur life...

Medicine is a clingy lady...U'll prolly not av tym to do anytin else part frm clinics ,theatre sessions,calls n read..U gon b writing exams..oral n traditional exams will quickly follow too...ud b pit b4 professors who'll quiz u sumtyms make u feel unworthy n jst downright tired...ull hardly comfortably find 6 hrs of sleep most days n during exams u myt b sleepin 2..mayb 3 hrs in 48hrs ...The workload is out of dis world..n u can b quizzed on anytin...medical skul is a continuum wen u get to d clinicals..u'll b examined on tins u did in 400lvl wen u in 600..

Ull b writing exams at an average of 1 exam per 6weeks..ur lyf is basically one unending exam...

the sheer plethora of tins u av to kip up with at ur finger tips may well tip u ova d edge sumtyms..

If u not careful ull b a dimensional human being..Mayb gud wit ailments bt outside d medicine u myt b rily uninformed ..After 7-8yrs..

u grad n enta in2 a health sector dt is completely neglected and in chaos...n if money is a motivating factor for u...pls drop it..cos ull eventually discover most Drs work most tyms a day..they prolly d hardest workers around..definitely d most stressed...Bt Most Drs are In d middle class or jst slightly above it...

the world is going digital my friend..imagine wat u can do with 7-8 yrs learning programming n all..

d decision is urs anyway....bt I can tell u one tin..n dt am very sure of...its not gon b am easy ride...u definitely too suffer...

3 Likes

Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2018
rotimi9:
Bro y

That fear of lack of accreditation is there. The students there are poorly trained.. lack of facilities and others. And you pay alot like more than 10 times what you should pay In a federal university to achieve less.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2018
kenedy175:

That fear of lack of accreditation is there. The students there are poorly trained.. lack of facilities and others. And you pay alot like more than 10 times what you should pay In a federal university to achieve less.
so wah would u advise someone already schooling in a state federal uni studying medicine
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 4:40pm On Nov 15, 2018
rotimi9:
so wah would u advise someone already schooling in a state federal uni studying medicine

You're already in. Just remain steadfast and pull through.

I remember years ago before I graduated. Due to some issues, I was supposed to transfer to IMSU to continue with my training. But an uncle of mine who is a Consultant advised me to stay back. According to him, the training there wasn't adequate.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 4:43pm On Nov 15, 2018
kenedy175:

You're already in. Just remain steadfast and pull through.

I remember years ago before I graduated. Due to some issues, I was supposed to transfer to IMSU to continue with my training. But an uncle of mine who is a Consultant advised me to stay back. According to him, the training there wasn't adequate.
so you stayed back?
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by kenedy175(m): 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2018
WinningEleven:
so you stayed back?
Yeah!!
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Greatzeus(m): 1:15pm On Nov 16, 2018
Imagine Nairaland,many without jobs and many who haven't seen the wall of a university are not only the most active but the most disrespectful. They dash out at those who are 20 years above them academically, financially and socially. Because this is a faceless forum.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2018
Greatzeus:
Imagine Nairaland,many without jobs and many who haven't seen the wall of a university are not only the most active but the most disrespectful. They dash out at those who are 20 years above them academically, financially and socially. Because this is a faceless forum.
ehyah... Who abused you this time?
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 1:55pm On Nov 16, 2018
Greatzeus:
keep generalizing
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Abcruz(m): 2:41pm On Nov 16, 2018
SwagPower:
I'll b graduating from UNILORIN COLLEGE OF HEALTH in February...
Am not gon try 2 discourage u frm pursuing MEDICINE..bT I'll tell u wat no one eva told me...Medical school is very very laborious...u sanity will b tested...it will take a heavy toll on ur health,social life n generally any oda significant part of ur life...

Medicine is a clingy lady...U'll prolly not av tym to do anytin else part frm clinics ,theatre sessions,calls n read..U gon b writing exams..oral n traditional exams will quickly follow too...ud b pit b4 professors who'll quiz u sumtyms make u feel unworthy n jst downright tired...ull hardly comfortably find 6 hrs of sleep most days n during exams u myt b sleepin 2..mayb 3 hrs in 48hrs ...The workload is out of dis world..n u can b quizzed on anytin...medical skul is a continuum wen u get to d clinicals..u'll b examined on tins u did in 400lvl wen u in 600..

Ull b writing exams at an average of 1 exam per 6weeks..ur lyf is basically one unending exam...

the sheer plethora of tins u av to kip up with at ur finger tips may well tip u ova d edge sumtyms..

If u not careful ull b a dimensional human being..Mayb gud wit ailments bt outside d medicine u myt b rily uninformed ..After 7-8yrs..

u grad n enta in2 a health sector dt is completely neglected and in chaos...n if money is a motivating factor for u...pls drop it..cos ull eventually discover most Drs work most tyms a day..they prolly d hardest workers around..definitely d most stressed...Bt Most Drs are In d middle class or jst slightly above it...

the world is going digital my friend..imagine wat u can do with 7-8 yrs learning programming n all..

d decision is urs anyway....bt I can tell u one tin..n dt am very sure of...its not gon b am easy ride...u definitely too suffer...

He can still engage in any leisure activity while in med school, including programming.
It's all about "Time Management".

An unfulfilled dream is an eternal nightmare.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Abcruz(m): 2:52pm On Nov 16, 2018
WinningEleven:

Keep up the hope bro.
I was once in your shoe's but I was absorbed by the grace of the almighty God.

So draw close HIM and embrace your books likewise.
Draw out a timetable for yourself,
Design a reading plan,
Follow it everyday and stay consistent.
Read like never before and review with past questions.

With God by your side your success is guaranteed.
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Abcruz(m): 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2018
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 1:51pm On Feb 23, 2020
Kennydoc:
The only honest advice I can give you is to make sure you devour ur chemistry, physics and biology b4 attempting again. Get standard texts for each of d subjects and read them front to back at least twice each before ur next UTME and PUTME exams. Since you don't have connections, the only way you can qualify is by merit, and it's very possible but you must make sure you know more than what the average applicants like you know. Also, you have to spend the least time possible online except you're studying.
I wish you the best.
I finally made it sir grin
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Kennydoc(m): 1:56pm On Feb 23, 2020
WinningEleven:

You've got an admission to study Medicine?
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by Skempy(f): 2:55pm On Feb 23, 2020
Have you considered studying medicine in Germany?
This video explains how to study medicine in Germany in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_uzCnZXINU
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 9:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
Kennydoc:

You've got an admission to study Medicine?
Yes oooo
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by David2O(m): 11:56pm On Feb 23, 2020
WinningEleven:

congrats. Your story motivated me as in from 64points to 78+ points wow. I need to jerk also bcus I'm aspiring for UI this year (2nd attempt)
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 8:21am On Feb 24, 2020
David2O:
congrats. Your story motivated me as in from 64points to 78+ points wow. I need to jerk also bcus I'm aspiring for UI this year (2nd attempt)
It wasn't easy my bro
I sacrificed 80% of 2019 just to achieve this goals. But I thank God sha.
Do the necessary things and I'm sure you'll make it too
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by skylane: 11:11am On Feb 24, 2020
WinningEleven:

It wasn't easy my bro
I sacrificed 80% of 2019 just to achieve this goals. But I thank God sha.
Do the necessary things and I'm sure you'll make it too
congratulations bro,youv just taken a step,now you try and pass your basic sciences in 100lvl, then in 200 journey (stress) begins, be steadfast in prayers but more on your books, u will need the 80% sacrifice agia. And again,talking from experience, am a 300 level veterinary medicine&surgery student in a fed school in middle belt, take my advice
Re: Help An Aspiring Medical Student by WinningEleven(m): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2020
skylane:
congratulations bro,youv just taken a step,now you try and pass your basic sciences in 100lvl, then in 200 journey (stress) begins, be steadfast in prayers but more on your books, u will need the 80% sacrifice agia. And again,talking from experience, am a 300 level veterinary medicine&surgery student in a fed school in middle belt, take my advice
Wow.... Thanks bro
Is it necessary to revise your o level before resumption?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State University Post Ume Form is out(LASU Post Ume)07036668372 / Enugu State University Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session / Niger Delta University 07/08 Ume Admissions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.