Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,777 members, 7,813,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ (5829 Views)

#NoBraDay 2021: Nigerian Women, Others Mark 'No Bra Day' (Photos) / As COVID-19 Cases Rise In FCT: Only 2 FG Isolation Centres Ready In Abuja / We Can Make 100-year-old Woman Pregnant — Nigerian Fertility Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by mrakeli62: 4:28am On Nov 15, 2018
With over nine million Nigerian women said to be pregnant every year, only about 3.6 million have access to antenatal care and about 2.4 million of them tested for HIV.

This was disclosed by Head, Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT), Federal Ministry of Health, Dr. Ijaodola Olugbenga.

He said of the 2.4 million pregnant women that get testing for HIV/AIDS in the country annually, at least 64,000 of them are positive to the virus every year.

Stating this during a two-day media dialogue on PMTCT in Calabar, the Cross River State capital, recently organised by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture (FMIC), he said the gap between pregnant women and those who are eventually tested for HIV is big because only 3.6 million access antenatal care.

“The remaining five million plus do not access antenatal, both in private or public healthcare facilities, hence it is difficult getting them to undergo HIV tests, in other to ascertain those with the virus, so as to prevent mother to child transmission and also put the women on anti retro viral drugs.

“Of the 64,000 pregnant women living with the virus, only 74 per cent of them are put on ante retroviral drugs immediately, with a high expectation that they deliver without transferring the virus to the babies.

“However, about 8.4 per cent of these babies end up been born with the virus. These children are then put on HIV treatment for life,” he said.

He explained that in general, 221,772 children are living with the disease in Nigeria, while only about 54,167 are on treatment in the country, adding that for those on treatment, their viral loads suppresses overtime, such that they no longer transmit the virus to other people.

He advised pregnant women across the country to access ante natal, as this was a major step in knowing whether they are positive to HIV or not, noting that those confirmed to be positive and on antiretroviral drugs have a very high chance of not transmitting the virus to their babies.

“That only 40 percent (3.6 million) of the over nine million pregnant women attend ante natal care yearly is unacceptable. We must increase ante natal care uptake, increase testing coverage, and put those positive to the virus on treatment, if we must reduce the burden of PMTCT in the country.”

On why the HIV prevalence is increasing in Nigeria, he said reduced funding and low media publicity are some of the factors responsible.

“It is becoming more prominent with adolescents in the country. So if we are able to prevent mother to child transmission, and target the adolescent group, we would have ended up reducing the statistics.

The assistant director in the federal ministry said PMTCT was one of the indices used in measuring success rates for countries, adding that if Nigeria does not meet the global target, the world in turn would not be able to meet it.

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/11/despite-9m-pregnant-nigerian-women-only.html

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Yankee101: 4:31am On Nov 15, 2018
I think the true HIV rate in some states is scarier than being reported

People having sex without condoms and s*hit.

Once people are together for a while they assume it's safe

And men don't usually go looking for condoms once an unexpected babe comes visiting and she don dey play hard to get. Then suddenly she says yes. E go think say e fit miss.

Use protection. Always. Better yet, stick to one person. Best of all, wait until you marry. Your first experience is always the best of it remains your one and only.

12 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by onunwa21(m): 5:31am On Nov 15, 2018
I don zip up!!!!

2 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by RTSC: 5:34am On Nov 15, 2018
So 9million babies are going to be added to our population in just one year?

My God shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by JudasNaCarrot: 6:00am On Nov 15, 2018
Why can't the West that created this weapon of mass destruction find a cure to it so that humans can live and f@ck in peace.

Each time I come across news like this my mind jumps because no matter how careful you may be during sex,there are other ways it can also be transmitted like blood.

The worse of it all being that healthy looking people are carriers and don't know and they spread it like California wild fire.

2 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Damfostopper(m): 6:05am On Nov 15, 2018
Jesus Christ.... 9 million pregnant women.... and some of them are carrying triplets and quadruplets.....

Ayemi o .....overpopulation

3 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Constantiney: 6:07am On Nov 15, 2018
RTSC:

My God shocked
Then in 10years =90million
20years, 180m plus the others.
The poor which are in the majority, believes if they have 20kids, at least one would make it and thus, damn the consequences. Using human lives to play statistical game of prosperity.

I believe the true population of Nigeria is about 500m

And you lot expect such a country to work.
Smh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by hfc80: 6:07am On Nov 15, 2018
that is while our population keep growing and no infrasture to support it very scary.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Ruddyman(m): 6:21am On Nov 15, 2018
Serious....This is where Safe Motherhood comes in.....

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by freeman95(m): 6:27am On Nov 15, 2018
Abeg enough of this HIV everyday

Una just dey make person fear upandan

All of us go still die jare.. person wen get accident for Lagos ibadan expressway way mud no worse pass make e get HIV?

1 Like

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by sweetilicious(f): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2018
Yankee101:
I think the true HIV rate in some states is scarier than being reported

People having sex without condoms and s*hit.

Once people are together for a while they assume it's safe

And men don't usually go looking for condoms once an unexpected babe comes visiting and she don dey play hard to get. Then suddenly she says yes. E go think say e fit miss.

Use protection. Always. Better yet, stick to one person. Best of all, wait until you marry. Your first experience is always the best of it remains your one and only.
Am telling you.If I want to, will never without condom. I cannot come and kill myself or endanger my loved ones in a stupid way.Sex you have without your heart beating for the person is not worth it.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by cenaman(m): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2018
RTSC:

My God shocked
9million pregnancy does mean 9million babies, what someone given birth to twins, triplet, etc? or miscarriage.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by RTSC: 6:39am On Nov 15, 2018
cenaman:
9million pregnancy does mean 9million babies, what someone given birth to twins, triplet, etc? or miscarriage.
Trying to be conservative,.
The number could be far more.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by sweetilicious(f): 6:42am On Nov 15, 2018
freeman95:
Abeg enough of this HIV everyday

Una just dey make person fear upandan

All of us go still die jare.. person wen get accident for Lagos ibadan expressway way mud no worse pass make e get HIV?
It's real o.I have seen a carrier.I feel bad for her.She was so in love trusting her boyfriend without knowing that he was a shameless philander.Its real my dear.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Acidosis(m): 6:58am On Nov 15, 2018
Constantiney:

The poor which are in the majority, believes if they have 20kids, at least one would make it and thus, damn the consequences. Using human lives to play statistical game of prosperity.

Smh

Do you know the number of unreported deaths from IDP camps? road accidents? Do you know the number of deaths a typical government general hospital records in one week?

Population don't grow in that manner

2 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Constantiney: 7:09am On Nov 15, 2018
Acidosis:

Do you know the number of unreported deaths from IDP camps? road accidents? Do you know the number of deaths a typical government general hospital records in one week?

Population don't grow in that manner
Lets stick with what we know, which is the reported.

If we remove the death rate from this figure, the number is still mind blowing.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Acidosis(m): 7:16am On Nov 15, 2018
Constantiney:

Lets stick with what we know, which is the reported.

If we remove the death rate from this figure, the number is still mind blowing.

How do you know the figure is mind blowing when you're not ready to know the average annual death rate in your country?

1 Like

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Constantiney: 7:23am On Nov 15, 2018
Acidosis:

How do you know the figure is mind blowing when you're not ready to know the average annual death rate in your country?

You don't understand.
The average annual death rate is available, you are talking about the true rate which we can only guess and guesswork cant be used to accurately calculate anything so if we use the available number with the birth rate which is also available, is the figure not mind blowing?

And remember, as you talked about the unreported deaths, we also have unreported births in villages and other rural areas too.
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by olamakinde(m): 7:37am On Nov 15, 2018
Constantiney:

Smh
What of China and India with over 1b population?
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by freeman95(m): 7:40am On Nov 15, 2018
sweetilicious:
It's real o.I have seen a carrier.I feel bad for her.She was so in love trusting her boyfriend without knowing that he was a shameless philander.Its real my dear.

Damn

Sometimes I wanna believe it's unreal because in our real life community ,we claim to have them amongst us , carrying the infection, but we can't even tell , and most of them don't even fall sick or anything, they live just like the non carriers..

These news even tell us many people don't even know they carry it because they don't feel anything ...

Or is there a hidden pain they feel that we don't know about ?

And don't forget there are sickle cell and cancer people who are obvious they are dying , that is obvious

My conclusion ?

HIV might exist but I don't think we have the right perception about that thing we named HIV

If I'm wrong please enlighten me
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Uzee24: 8:52am On Nov 15, 2018
freeman95:

Damn

Sometimes I wanna believe it's unreal because in our real life community ,we claim to have them amongst us , carrying the infection, but we can't even tell , and most of them don't even fall sick or anything, they live just like the non carriers..

These news even tell us many people don't even know they carry it because they don't feel anything ...

Or is there a hidden pain they feel that we don't know about ?

And don't forget there are sickle cell and cancer people who are obvious they are dying , that is obvious

My conclusion ?

HIV might exist but I don't think we have the right perception about that thing we named HIV

If I'm wrong please enlighten me

For you to have used the word "MIGHT" clearly shows you doubt the existence of HIV. My brother, the virus is real. What makes it worst is that it does not manifest physically until its victim is in a dare situation.

I presently work in a foreign donor assisted program on HIV/AIDS, and from my experience so far, a few minutes of pleasure is not worth the risk of living with a lifetime of pain and regret (yes, HIV can be contracted through other means, but its common knowledge that unsafe sex remains the most predisposing factor to contracting the virus).

If you doubt the existence of HIV, take time out and visit the ART dept or Heart to Heart center of any well functioning government hospital whether (general or teaching hospital) on a monday or tuesday and immerse yourself with the number and caliber of people you see there.

HIV is real and is no respecter of persons. Live safe, dont discriminate!

2 Likes

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Constantiney: 9:14am On Nov 15, 2018
olamakinde:
What of China and India with over 1b population?
They have population control and are more advanced.
They have infrastructure to support them.

Do you have that in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by Lucasinho(m): 9:46am On Nov 15, 2018
shocked

Wahala Dey o...
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by deblogger: 9:55am On Nov 15, 2018
According to the Center for Disease Control, there are approximately 20 million new infections occurring annually. Some #stis such as #syphilis #gonorrhea and #chlamydia are spread mainly by Sexual contact.
#Awareness is #key to #prevention and #treatment
Want to? #call us for #FREE on 08000022252 or #chat with us anytime via #WhatsApp on 09080022252.
#Abuja #Nigeria #sex #hiv #aids #Lagos #health #health are #familyplanning #contraception #condoms #youth #naija #disease #autoimmunedisease #infection #std #stds

Visit Mariestopes clinc today
Re: ‘despite 9M Pregnant Nigerian Women, Only 2.4M Gets HIV Testing’ by wakaawaka(m): 3:30pm On Nov 15, 2018
Shit. But I read about a potential cure by an Isreali medical research group.

Or that one too na lamba.

FYI

Malaria is deadlier.

(1) (Reply)

Best Weight Loss: Lose Weight, Burn Fats, Butterfly Massager / Lasting Solution To Sperm Leakages (eda) / GNLD Neolife Pro Vitality Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.