Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand (3062 Views)

CBN Eyes $10b Revenue From Palm Oil / MTN Shares Rise 8.9 Per Cent On Planned CBN Meeting Over $8.1b Claim / Stock Market Index Dips Further By 0.6% On Sustained Weaker Demand (2) (3) (4)

MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Mrakeli: 4:41am On Nov 15, 2018
Shares of South Africa’s MTN Group rose by 2.6 per cent Wednesday, on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, following media report of a possible resolution and reduction of the $10.1 billion claims on it in Nigeria.

Bloomberg, while quoting a source, said the deal hasn’t been signed and could yet fall through.

On Tuesday, the Group Chief Executive Officer, Rob Shuter, had said that the telecommunications firm was doing everything within it means to resolve the issue amicably.

The Nigerian authority had asked MTN to refund $8.1 billion allegedly repatriated out of the country without due process and the Office of the Attorney-General, equally asked the telecommunications firm to pay $2 billion tax arrears.

Media report claimed that MTN may likely get a reduction from the $10 billion to about $800 million. However, a source very close to MTN told The Guardian, Wednesday that if MTN admitted to getting a reduction, “it would amount to the fact that telecommunications firm was culpable. Moreover, the case is in Court already, and they have a good case at hand. I don’t see where the $800 million would come in.”

But the Senate has condemned attempt by the Federal Government to reduce the $10.1 billion fine imposed on the communication giant, MTN, to $800 million.

The upper chamber said the planned reduction of the fine is a matter of interest to it, noting that although it was not particularly against whatever the government would want to do with the MTN fine, it should be intimated on why the reduction became necessary.

The Central Bank of Nigeria had in a recent statement by its Governor, Godwin Emefiele, hinted that it would reduce the amount it ordered MTN Nigeria to repatriate.

But Chairman, Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions, Rafiu Adebayo Ibrahim, told reporters on Tuesday in Abuja that he was shocked when he was contacted that the CBN failed to implement Senate resolutions before conducting another investigation into the alleged infraction by MTN.

Ibrahim said his committee would immediately ask for CBN’s report on the matter to be better informed, adding that the only way Nigerians would know what transpired between the CBN and MTN on the $10.1 billion fine was through a detailed report.

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/11/mtn-shares-rise-by-26-on-possible.html

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Yes..I'm FTC this morning... Sign of good things to come..And to my lecturer(Mr Taiwo) who said I'd never amount to anything meaningful in life... Come see me now...I MADE IT!!!!...Let's drink to this Achievement fam!!!

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by bolafez(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Everywhere you go.....
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by new2012: 7:08am On Nov 15, 2018
CBN and AG over to you, share your reports, your negotiations etc
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 15, 2018
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by cooldipo(m): 7:11am On Nov 15, 2018

Where is the money? We need it for election
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:16am On Nov 15, 2018
Vampire network provider hat is used to suck the finance of Nigerians I wonder why they are still operating in Nigeria.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by computerglobal(m): 7:30am On Nov 15, 2018
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by juniorstar(m): 7:35am On Nov 15, 2018
Corruption alert...

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by SarkinYarki: 7:58am On Nov 15, 2018
Buhari doesn't understand that his poorly thought out action always has a corresponding effect on the Macro economy and that was how he tanked the once promising Nigerian economy..May God Almighty punish Buhari !!!!
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Iykesmooth: 8:06am On Nov 15, 2018
10 billion? Haba how much is mtn worth na
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by SarkinYarki: 8:10am On Nov 15, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Vampire network provider hat is used to suck the finance of Nigerians I wonder why they are still operating in Nigeria.

Shut up!!! How did they suck you dry ? Didn't they pay over 200 Million for License , didn't they set up expensive cell sites with no govt support , didntbthey have to pay local communities bribes just to be allowed to set up cell sites , despite no electricity don they fuel 2 generators per cell site 24 hours a day just for you to make your call, didnt they create thousands of direct and indirect jobs , didn't the support many small businesses in Nigeria , didn't they perform so much CSR , ddnt the pay their taxes to your govt ?

Mr MTN never extorted a dime from you , they provided you a service and you paid them for it

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Omololu001: 8:11am On Nov 15, 2018
Iykesmooth:
10 billion? Haba how much is mtn worth na
mtn worth is far more than $10 billion.

You don't seem to know how much they do make from Nigeria alone yearly.

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Iykesmooth: 8:50am On Nov 15, 2018
Omololu001:
mtn worth is far more than $10 billion.

You don't seem to know how much they do make from Nigeria alone yearly.

Dude mtn is not even worth 30 billion dollars ..we are talking BILLION DOLLARS here not naira.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Omololu001: 8:59am On Nov 15, 2018
Iykesmooth:

Dude mtn is not even worth 30 billion dollars ..we are talking BILLION DOLLARS here not naira.
where in my post did I say mtn worth $30 billion?

Go and read and learn more about MTN on Wikipedia

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Botango23(m): 9:43am On Nov 15, 2018
Omololu001:
where in my post did I say mtn worth $30 billion?

Go and read and learn more about MTN on Wikipedia
Can't you see that, ta
that was in 2015 they made that revenue
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by Omololu001: 9:51am On Nov 15, 2018
Botango23:

Can't you see that, ta
that was in 2015 they made that revenue
so if they made that revenue in 2015. What do you think there worth will be if they also make such a revenue in 2016 and 2017?

Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 10:48am On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

Shut up!!! How did they suck you dry ? Didn't they pay over 200 Million for License , didn't they set up expensive cell sites with no govt support , didntbthey have to pay local communities bribes just to be allowed to set up cell sites , despite no electricity don they fuel 2 generators per cell site 24 hours a day just for you to make your call, didnt they create thousands of direct and indirect jobs , didn't the support many small businesses in Nigeria , didn't they perform so much CSR , ddnt the pay their taxes to your govt ?

Mr MTN never extorted a dime from you , they provided you a service and you paid them for it

Defend those swine as much as you can the facts still remain they are the most expensive network in Nigeria
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by SarkinYarki: 11:13am On Nov 15, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Defend those swine as much as you can the facts still remain they are the most expensive network in Nigeria

They are the most expensive Network yet the have 65 million subscribers, are you saying more Nigerians prefer expensive Network to lea expensive ones .. all networks have the same Tarriffs doe on-net &off -net calls which is actually stipulated and approved by NCC...
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:53am On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

They are the most expensive Network yet the have 65 million subscribers, are you saying more Nigerians prefer expensive Network to lea expensive ones .. all networks have the same Tarriffs doe on-net &off -net calls which is actually stipulated and approved by NCC...

They have much Nigeria because they were the first in the business not really because they are cheap. More so they have the widest network but they are still expensive compare to other nonsense line.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:55am On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

They have much Nigerians because they were the first in the business not really because they are cheap. More so they have the widest network but they are still expensive compare to others. nonsense line.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:57am On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

Other networks providers face similar circumstances but far cheaper than this diabolical line.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by SarkinYarki: 11:59am On Nov 15, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

They have much Nigerians because they were the first in the business not really because they are cheap. More so they have the widest network but they are still expensive compare to others. nonsense line.

Oga MTN was never first , the first mobile telco to roll out was Econet which is now airtel followed by Defunct MTEL ... If I told you in the last one year MTN has added about 3 million new subscribers while other networks are shrinking in subscriber base ... I have 3 lines and they are all MTN
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by SarkinYarki: 12:01pm On Nov 15, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Other networks providers face similar circumstances but far cheaper than this diabolical line.

Oga no network is cheaper than the others , Tarriffs for ON-net and off - net calls are regulated by the NCC to protect the smaller networks from extinction ..dont sat what you don't know
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 12:29pm On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

Oga MTN was never first , the first mobile telco to roll out was Econet which is now airtel followed by Defunct MTEL ... If I told you in the last one year MTN has added about 3 million new subscribers while other networks are shrinking in subscriber base ... I have 3 lines and they are all MTN

And they lost 2 million. I look like somebody you got fit deceive? It is clear you work with those bastards that I no fit blame you for.
Re: MTN Shares Rise By 2.6% On Possible Resolution Of $10b Demand by TRUSTEDGUY: 12:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
SarkinYarki:

Oga no network is cheaper than the others , Tarriffs for ON-net and off - net calls are regulated by the NCC to protect the smaller networks from extinction ..dont sat what you don't know

Far cheaper na we the customers go talk. See solar way dem bring dey cost 500K and dem say na for commoners OK o. Useless network.

Gt Bank Launches Mobile Money Service In Nigeria / Today On MMM Meeting / What Does It Take To Be Dstv Dealer?