Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Badagry, What Doeth Thou? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Badagry, What Doeth Thou? (282 Views)

Oboh Francis Nkemakolam: Shall I Compare My Love To Thou / What Doest Thou, My Soul? / Dear Son,thou Art' More Than Ordinary!* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Badagry, What Doeth Thou? by Ayor93(m): 2:08pm On Nov 16, 2018
Being the second largest town in Lagos state after Epe, Badagry is Known for its history on slave trade, as she was a major gateway where slaves were transported overseas from a place called "point of no return. slave trade started far back as 15th Century, although according to most research, the beginning of slave trade in West Africa are not well documented, as European sources begin to document the trade at about 1670.

Badagry, being a coastal town was a major player in the trade, there was an inflow of visitors into the town, who came to scout for slaves. However slavery was abolished officially in the year 1948, according to article 4 of the United Nations, declaring "Slavery" contrary to human rights. As the trade was no longer lucrative, as expected there was a decline in the amount of visitors into the town, which have a toll on the economic activities in the town.

Badagry is a town in Lagos state of Nigeria, West Africa, Just like Lagos Island, it is on the bank of inland lagoons, a system of creeks waterways that are navigable to Lagos and Port-novo. Take note of the words "just like Lagos island". Which means Badagry has the natural endowment to be like Lagos Island, but she can be nowhere compared to it, although some factors are responsible for the fast development of Lagos Island, like being the settlement of the colonial masters and many more, but the developmental lacuna between these two places is so large, one begin to think where the problem is.

I was born in Badagry, had both my primary and Secondary education there, which means i have stayed a minimum of 18 years there, I should have a robust knowledge of the workings, scope and events in Badagry.

After much thinking and thorough meditation, I have compiled a list (In no particular order, except the first one, maybe) of the bottle neck that has hindered the speedy development of this great and historical town. Although some of these problems are an extension of a national problem, nevertheless they have to be tackled, for any new development to happen.

Selfish and Insensitive Leaders : This is the first problem that needed to be addressed, because it is the foundation of the whole problem. When the foundation is faulty, what will the righteous do? The righteous will have to fix the foundation. Development don't happen by luck or miracle, there must be a deliberate attempt. The leaders have been lagging in this aspect, they have not represented the town well, there's no clear-cut vision or goal, to them leading is all about sharing money to people, NO! that must stop, the recent result of their poor leadership is the moving away of the proposed deep port project from Badagry to Lekki, this is saddening and leaves a sour taste but what is more saddening is natives/dwellers aren't asking questions or holding these leaders responsible.

No/poor Local Production : The major occupation of natives are fishing, farming and animal husbandry. If local production of these things can be boosted, it will lead to revenue generation through export and also creation of jobs. take for instance the establishment of a coconut processing factory, where coconut oil, water, cream, flakes etc, can be produced, imagine the job opportunities, that will come from it.

Unprepared Youth : This is a major problem as the youth are supposed to be the future of any organisation, establishment or society. The preparedness or readiness of the youth will determine if the future is bright or not. Unfortunately the mind of an average youth in the town is fixated on smuggling, cult and doing nothing. This is a fundamental problem and its hard to tackle because it deals with the mind. However there can be a deliberate move to educate, and enlighten the young ones, on the need for capacity development and adding value to their lives and community and the world at large. This work shouldn't rest solely on the government alone as NGOs, Religious organizations, schools can be useful in this regard.

Badagry - Mile 2 Expressway Factor : You are surprised, this is making the list, yes it is, because civilization actually started by the time road construction began. The expressway have been in a poor state over the years and this is having a bad toll on the town as it is the fastest route connecting Badagry to Lagos metropolitan. if the road is fixed, it would be easy to work in Lagos and live in Badagry, just as it is obtainable in places like Ikorodu, Epe. If the road is in perfect condition, it will take approximately maximum of 45 minutes! from Badagry to Mile 2, Is that not wonderful? Therefore pressure should be mounted on the government for speedy completion of the road.
Although, Rome was not built in a day but Rome was being built daily. All those can't be implemented all at once but gradually with hard work, determination and persistence, a lot will be achieved. The bottom line is, there must be a political will, without the political will, the desired change will be difficult to implement, it all boils down to choosing credible leaders with a "developmental ideology" not "consumption ideology"

So i enjoined you, if you live or work in Badagry, pls make sure you vote the right leaders in this coming election, most importantly don't reward failure, anyone going for another term should show his achievements, if not, he/she should be voted out. "More that one term" is for achievers. we don't need their money, that can be spent within a twinkle of an eye, all we want is development that will have a lasting impact on us, our children and the community as a whole.
For more articles and stories [url]neusgroup.[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Ⅶ. The Track Of Life / English Language / White Man In Town (chapter Four)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.