Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland (1692 Views)

Jim Iyke, Sammy Okposo Support The Nigerian Army In Abuja (photos) / Dr Sid Wore A Kilt To A Wedding In Scotland (photos) / Who Is Hotter ? Midnight Crew Or Sammie Okposo ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by BenSwift(m): 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2010
….As Hubby Risks Three-Year Jail in Scotland
THESE are not the best of times for sensational gospel singer, Sammie Okposo, who got married barely a few weeks ago to pretty Ozioma in a lavish wedding ceremony held in Lagos. 

This is coming on the heels of charges of alleged racial remarks, levelled against him in Aberdeen, Scotland, just as the couple continued their honeymoon outside the shores of the country.
Worse still is the revelation that the offence attracts a maximum penalty of three years in Scotland, causing the bride emotional breakdown as the news filtered to her.
“The bride is currently devastated, and needs all the encouragement she can get now to prevent any eventuality,” National Daily Weekend  learnt.
http://nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2592:honeymoon-bluessammie-okposos-wife-ozioma-weeps-&catid=99:current-cover&Itemid=489

Things got bad for Sammie in the Scottish city of Aberdeen, when he decided to give his wife a treat at a restaurant. No sonner had the couple settled down to pick their choice from the menu list than the waitress, a Chinese, called in the police to report claims of “racially aggravated remarks” from the gospel artiste, in the course of discharging her duties.

Sources confirmed that  Sammie did not know the implications of such confrontations until the police swooped  on him, taking him away for the offence.

“In fact, the whole thing is too shocking for him to comprehend. I am sure that he must have gone with his bride to the place for food when the incident happened, and it is a pity that this rough incident is spoiling the honey moon for the couple. He may also have expected a little attention”, the source said.

First broken by a Scottish newspaper, Scottish Evening Express, the report identified Sammie Okposo as a 31-year-old African gospel star, who was on honeymoon with his bride at Jimmy Chung's, a pub located at Aberdeen's Beach Esplanade.

It said the star had gone to the pub, where he spoke in a racially motivated manner to Ronny Shui Hung Yung, who works at there as a waitress.

For the offence, Sammie was said to have been arrested and docked, but his defence agent, Mike Munro, was able to negotiate a bail for him, pending when the case comes up for hearing in September.

A London-based Nigerian lawyer told National Daily Weekend that such cases in the United Kingdom are not treated with levity.
“I pray he gets a good representation in court, because such matters are handled seriously here. In Aberdeen, racial issues are not light matters.

“In 2008, a police man was jailed on that account. That is to show you how serious racism is taken here. I heard he pleaded not guilty, and I believe that he would be able to buttress that with evidence and witnesses.

But joints like that have video cameras everywhere, which will show what transpired at the time of the offence.

If Sammie is found guilty, I am afraid the maximum sentence in Scotland for such a crime is three years in jail. It could come with a fine, though. But he needs all the support he can get now, because this is really a trying moment for him,” the legal practitioner said.

Meanwhile, some close colleagues of Sammie's in the entertainment and music industry have been analyzing the  situation.

Those who were called to speak only offered to talk anonymously, considering that they did not have the  facts of the case.
A popular actor, who is close to Sammie, but does not want his name mentioned, said, “What happened is still shocking to me.”

This apart, he said: “I am still praying that it turns out a lie. Sammie and his new wife do not deserve this at all. The other day we gathered to celebrate them and today the story is that the groom has a racial case to answer in Scotland. If he goes to jail what happens to the bride? They might want to use this to prove a point since Sammie has already been identified as an African star”.

Some observers, still wonder what Sammie’s frame of mind was at the time of the alleged offence.

It was not immediately clear whether or not Sammie would return to Nigeria with his  wife before the adjourned date for the court hearing in September.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by philip0906(m): 8:30pm On Jul 24, 2010
"GOSPEL ARTIST" indeed grin grin. . .4rm Honeymoon 2 bitterstar grin grin grin
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by labiyemmy(m): 8:40pm On Jul 24, 2010
If everone that makes a racist remark in the UK gets three years, then I bet you, there wont be anyone walking the streets of UK, all will be in jail.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by DualCore1: 8:50pm On Jul 24, 2010
Police: You are under arrest for racial remarks
Sammie: Wetin I talk?

Well that's if I were him.
Why is no one saying what he said?
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by philip0906(m): 9:01pm On Jul 24, 2010
Dual Core:

Police: You are under arrest for racial remarks
Sammie: Wetin I talk?

Well that's if I were him.
Why is no one saying what he said?
GBAM!!!He should not go and show himself dat he can speak grammar and feign not knowing how 2 speak english i.e broken english dats if it will work though grin grin
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by DualCore1: 9:12pm On Jul 24, 2010
He has better chances of getting some pity from that court if he uses his "home" language and then having someone interpret it.

More like. . .

Judge: So Mr Sammie, how did this happen?

Translator: O mehn, bros how e take happen?

Sammie: My lord, I swear I no talk anything o. Based on sey me and my babe just dey the bukka and we order for the food. Me i come do mistake think sey this babe wan attack my babe so I say make I talk wetin I talk to raise alarm but I been no know. Next thing, next thing. . . olopa just appear o. Me come think sey him dey find roger roger. My lord na so e take happen. walahi I no know at all sey na like this. Ha if i know how i for manage eff up naw. Oga judge you too think am naw, you never hear my CD? Me na chineke bros all the way from 9ja.

Translator: translates into English.

Judge: Case closed, be on the next flight outta here you digg?

Translator: Omo, discharge with next chachangi.

pun intended, serious people please ignore me.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by philip0906(m): 9:17pm On Jul 24, 2010
Dual Core:

He has better chances of getting some pity from that court if he uses his "home" language and then having someone interpret it.

More like. . .

Sammie: My lord, I swear I no talk anything o. Based on sey me and my babe just dey the bukka and we order for the food. Me i come do mistake think sey this babe wan attack my babe so I say make I talk wetin I talk to raise alarm but I been no know. Next thing, next thing. . . olopa just appear o. Me come think sey him dey find roger roger. My lord na so e take happen. walahi I no know at all sey na like this. Ha if i know how i for manage eff up naw. Oga judge you too think am naw, you never hear my CD? Me na chineke bros all the way from 9ja.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by mamagee3(f): 9:40pm On Jul 24, 2010
I hope he enjoys his stay in Scotland. . .

We'll accept when he comes back.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by vislabraye(m): 9:11am On Jul 25, 2010
The story get K- leg. We are not hearing the complete side of it. What did he say? Was he provoked ?
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Seun(m): 9:21am On Jul 25, 2010
I can't think of what he could have said that could have been so bad that he absolutely has to be jailed.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Okijajuju1(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2010
Dual Core:

More like. . .

If ehn try this your hustle, na six years ehn go spend for sanko.

Ehn no go interview before ehn get Visa?!! Na pidgin ehn speak for embassy??

Make ehn just go court form crase. That na ehn best bet.

Or maybe Jail might just be good for him. When ehn come out, Konvict Musik fit give am record deal. grin
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by philip0906(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2010
okija_juju
If ehn try this your hustle, na six years ehn go spend for sanko.

Ehn no go interview before ehn get Visa?!! Na pidgin ehn speak for embassy??

Make ehn just go court form crase. That na ehn best bet.

Or maybe Jail might just be good for him. When ehn come out, Konvict Musik fit give am record deal.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 25, 2010
What a honeymoon!!!

Omo wuts always wrong with "Africans" when they leave the shores of Africa
Do they think all the none sense we take and give in this continent will be accepted in other developed nations?
Wells lets pray for him as we don't really know what transpired between him and madam chinko (chin kuan poo)
If he goes to jail b'cus of this issue, i guess our government should then wakeup and be stiff on racial discrimination and labour torture this so called expatriates throw at our own people right here in their country.
Most of this expatriates visa don expire sef like since 6 years ago but with our corrupt immigration, nothing dey happen.

Sammy best of luck,
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Dolemite(f): 12:16am On Jul 26, 2010
Seun:

I can't think of what he could have said that could have been so bad that he absolutely has to be jailed.
Said ching chong chow to a China man maybe. . .
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Seun(m): 3:20am On Jul 26, 2010
What about freedom of speech? I just don't think the punishment really fits the crime.
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by babymine(f): 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2010
What exactly did he say?
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by Rheinmetal(m): 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2010
Now what could one possibly say to a Chinese Waitress in a racially motivated manner. Maybe Dude spoke some wafi pidgin and the Chinese waitress gave it whatever appropriate interpretation in Mandarin tongue
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by redsky1: 1:18pm On Jul 26, 2010
talknafree:

What a honeymoon!!!

Omo wuts always wrong with "Africans" when they leave the shores of Africa
Do they think all the none sense we take and give in this continent will be accepted in other developed nations?
Wells lets pray for him as we don't really know what transpired between him and madam[b] chinko[/b] (chin kuan poo)
If he goes to jail b'cus of this issue, i guess our government should then wakeup and be stiff on racial discrimination and labour torture this so called expatriates throw at our own people right here in their country.
Most of this expatriates visa don expire sef like since 6 years ago but with our corrupt immigration, nothing dey happen.

Sammy best of luck,

that word is offensive and is probably what got him into the mess. I'm sorry but i know that political correctness is a bit OTT in the UK but some nigerians need to realise that there are some terms we use back home that are completely offensive and out dated for example the word used to describe mixed raced people. People still use half c****e this is offensive.

its a shame his honeymoon ended like this and he should have gone somewhere a bit more exoctic - i mean Scotland??
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by hardesuwah: 1:20pm On Jul 26, 2010
Dinner was to start at 5pm and they got there at 4.30pm for lunch but weren't told it was almost time for dinner.When the waitress later came to tell them ,she said if they were still there by 5pm,they would be charged for both lunch and dinner.Of course there was an argument and the comment sammy made was ''if u are tired of working here,go back to your country''.Typical Nigerian statement, but alas he wasn't in Nigeria. cry
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by hardesuwah: 1:27pm On Jul 26, 2010
The couples got into d restaurant at about 4:30pm and dinner was to start at 5pm but they weren't informed,until after they had been served.The waitress said they would be charged for both lunch and dinner.Of course there was an argument and the comment sammy made was ''if u are tired of working here,go back to your country''.Typical Nigerian statement, but alas he wasn't in Nigeria. cry
Re: Sammie Okposo May Face Three Year Jail In Scotland by spikedcylinder: 1:37pm On Jul 26, 2010
So what exactly did he say? No paper has reported his exact words yet.
Maybe the waitress is the racial one, who knows? Maybe she got terrified of a really big and black man with crooked teeth and just felt the need to raise alarm anyhoo.

(1) (Reply)

Interview With Goldie / Helen Paul Bags City People Entertainment Award For Female Comedian Of The Year / Kefee Meets With Tyrese (pics) Opens For India Arie+desmond Elliot At Orphanage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.