Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,776,705 members, 6,615,569 topics. Date: Friday, 03 December 2021 at 09:36 PM

Facebook Removes 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts Between April And September 2018 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Facebook Removes 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts Between April And September 2018 (423 Views)

Crocodile In Indonesia Has Tyre Around Its Neck, Cash Reward For Who Removes It / Facebook: Another Three Billion Fake Profiles Culled / Facebook Erases 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts In Seven Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Removes 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts Between April And September 2018 by kraftysprouts: 7:24pm On Nov 17, 2018
Facebook released its Community Standards reports on Friday and it detailed how it has dealt with adult nudity, fake news, spam, fake accounts and terrorism. The Social media giant removed about 1.5 billion accounts between April and September (800 million in Q2 2018 and 754 million in Q3 2018).

"In Q2 2018, we disabled 800 million fake accounts, up from 583 million in Q1 2018. In Q3 2018, we disabled 754 million fake accounts, a modest decrease from the previous quarter. Most of these accounts originated from commercially motivated spam attacks, and they were removed swiftly. While we took action on more accounts than in the previous two quarters, this has not had a significant effect on the prevalence of fake accounts on Facebook." the report stated


Fake Accounts Removed
"In Q2 and Q3 2018, we found and flagged 99.6% of the accounts we subsequently took action on before users reported them. We acted on the other 0.4% because users reported them first. This number increased from 98.5% in Q1 2018." it further explained.

Facebook also stated that most of the accounts were part of commercially motivated attacks.

"These numbers are largely affected by external factors, such as cyberattacks that increase fake accounts on Facebook. Bad actors try to create fake accounts in large volumes automatically using scripts or bots, with the intent of spreading spam or conducting illicit activities such as scams." Facebook explained.

Child Nudity
In Q3 2018, we removed a total of 8.7 million pieces of content. That number includes a wide range of content. We removed most of this content at or near the time of upload through our photo and video matching technology.

In some cases, people share violating content to condemn it and raise awareness of the issue. We remove this content regardless of the person's motivation.

Violence and Graphic Content
In Q3 2018, we took action on a total of 15.4 million pieces of content, an increase from 7.9 million pieces of content in Q2 2018. This increase was due to continued improvements in our enforcement technology. Specifically, we applied our previous decisions on violating content to related pieces of content.

Adult Nudity
In Q3 2018, we took action on a total of 30.8 million pieces of content. In Q2 2018, we took action on 34.8 million pieces of content. This represents an increase from Q4 2017 and Q1 2018, when we took action on 21 million pieces of content each quarter.

Source: https://thegloor.com/facebook-removes-1-5-billion-fake-accounts-between-april-and-september-2018/

Re: Facebook Removes 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts Between April And September 2018 by obaataaokpaewu: 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2018
When will Nairaland carry out such clean up embarassed?
Re: Facebook Removes 1.5 Billion Fake Accounts Between April And September 2018 by kraftysprouts: 6:20pm On Dec 03, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
When will Nairaland carry out such clean up embarassed?

time will tell

(1) (Reply)

Six Nigerians To Represent Africa At Huawei Ict Global Competition In China / For Those Who Want To Learn Carding, Hacking, Cracking And Any Web Tricks / Physicists Discover How To Safely Create Star Power On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.