Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. (1906 Views)

#Our5k: Nigerian Youths Demand Fulfillment Of Campaign Promises On Twitter / Violence Erupts In Saminaka Over Damage Of Campaign Billboards / Complete List Of Campaign Team That Will Make President Jonathan Win Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 25, 2010
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 25, 2010
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2010
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 25, 2010

Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 25, 2010
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by denitro(m): 12:17am On Jul 26, 2010
Donald Duke, You have my VOTE
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 3:16am On Jul 26, 2010
denitro:

Donald Duke, You have my VOTE

Yes oh!!! Even though mine is the lone vote on election date I won't care.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by OYBMEND: 3:26am On Jul 26, 2010
[size=18pt]Designing for self-destruction[/size]
People & Politics Jul 26, 2010 Share | By Ochereome Nnanna

No matter from what angle you look, what you see of Nigeria is a bleak future unless something drastic is done and pronto. Because of greed and corruption, we are, as former Governor of Cross River State, Mr Donald Duke, put it in a talk he gave at a Save Nigeria Group forum in Abuja recently, “designing a system that would destroy us in the end”.

In that heart-felt talk given ex-tempore and published in the Sunday July 18, 2010 edition of The Guardian, Duke gave an insider’s account of how state governors collude with the Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) to rig elections. That angle of his disclosure is a subject for another day. I am more concerned with an issue he raised about how the elite are preparing this country for the failure that has been predicted several times for it.

You will recall that in his 2007 edition of the global threat assessment deposed before the US Senate Committee on Intelligence, former Director of the US National Intelligence, John D. Negroponte noted inter alia: “Nigeria’s fragile democratic transition is in danger of collapsing in the coming months.

The government’s institutional foundations are hollow from decades of neglect and corruption and will continue to make the country susceptible to recurring crises in the coming years.

Abuja has been unable to stem rising lawlessness and insecurity in its oil-producing region, and the Nigerian population is increasingly demoralized from worsening living conditions in the face of much publicized improvements in the country’s macroeconomic indicators. Major political unrest in Nigeria would threaten other countries in the region”.

In addition to institutional weakness, Duke drew our attention to another way by which we are preparing the grounds for the demise of Nigeria. According to him, the elite send their children to the best schools in the world, and when they return to Nigeria they find they cannot fit in. This is in sharp contrast to what obtained in the early days when our first group of educated elite left these shores to school abroad. When they returned they were able to lead their people to independence from colonial rule. They did not come back to as social misfits. So, why do the children of today’s leaders return only to find out they cannot function here?

The answer is very easy. The social ethics of these countries harbouring the best academic institutions in the world are startlingly different from what these children come back to Nigeria to meet. A person travelling out of this country has to make a number of ethical adjustments to avoid getting into trouble as soon as he arrives there. And when he comes back, he also has to readjust or he would seem odd here.

In any case, what are these spoilt children coming back to Nigeria to do? Their greedy, thieving parents have already stashed away enough to take care of them and their children. As Duke pointed out, their parents have already bought mansions for them in major cities around the globe. Why would they come back here only to fall into the hands of kidnappers – children of the downtrodden who seem to be biting back?

Already, the mistakes that the elites of Somalia made, which led their country to implode into the grips of tribal and religious warlords, with its central government at a time functioning from a foreign capital, are exactly the mistakes our own elite are repeating as Duke noted. Somali leaders stole from their countries and bought up choice property abroad and sent their children to the best schools abroad. But when Siad Barre, the last dictator and central ruler of the country died he was buried in Lagos.

The Americans have been warning us to put our house in order quickly and avoid the doom that awaits us because when it hits, we will have nowhere to run, unlike the Liberians, Sierra Leoneans, Ghanaians, Chadians, Nigerienes and Togolese who had a place to run to: Nigeria.

We do not seem to realise the danger we are courting by sending our children to expensive private schools because the public schools have collapsed, rather than join hands to restore the public schooling system to their past glories to enable our children to grow up together. We have abandoned the decrepit public schools to the children of the poor so that when they complete their educational pursuits our well-educated private-schooled children will corner all the juicy opportunities, while the unemployable children of the poor will be their gatemen.

We are only sowing the seeds for a social revolution. If poorly educated children of the poor lead such a revolution, we will wind up with what happened in post-Samuel Doe Liberia, Siad Barre’s Somalia and the Democratic Republic of Congo – failed states controlled by murderous factional warlords.

Sometimes, it is the children of the privileged class that kick over the terraces and lead social revolutions, as we saw in Marxist Russia, Cuba and non-Marxist Ghana. It is a bloody and long-drawn stable-cleansing process, and no one knows who will come out intact. Social revolutions have not worked in Nigeria. They ended up getting mixed up in the ethnic, religious and regional quagmire of Nigeria. Therefore, the revolution, when it comes, is likely to result in the Somalia/Congo/Liberia model due to ethnic and religious complications.

There is no better time than now for Nigerians to search for the right political candidates to repair this country by iron-fisting corruption and re-engineering the system back to normalcy. Let us close our ears to candidates whose agenda is to ride on ethnic and sectional platforms to continue business as usual after 2011. Nigeria will not survive another eight years if drastic change does not come.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/26/designing-for-self-destruction/
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by OYBMEND: 3:27am On Jul 26, 2010
We need to check Donald Duke's DNA.

He sounds too poositive to be a Nigerian.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Beaf: 3:53am On Jul 26, 2010
Donald Duke is in danger of burning himself out by becoming a perpertual presidential candidate.
The simple truth is that, his timing is totally wrong, he will face an impossible struggle to appeal across the country. How will he cope with "zoning" for example? It all seems too vague, where is his party machinery?
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by OYBMEND: 4:04am On Jul 26, 2010
Don't think he is in PDP anymore

I thought Zoning is a PDP affair?.

As per timing, my guy man is in his prime. If he does not get elected President in 2011 or 2015. Make him forget am. By 2019 his time go don pass. We go they talk about another new generation.

Donald Duke is about 48 years now. Na now be his best time to run.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by princekevo(m): 8:06am On Jul 26, 2010
There is no better time than now for Nigerians to search for the right political candidates to repair this country by iron-fisting corruption and re-engineering the system back to normalcy. Let us close our ears to candidates whose agenda is to ride on ethnic and sectional platforms to continue business as usual after 2011. Nigeria will not survive another eight years if drastic change does not come.
You are the right man for the job, only that the evil stumbling block behind Nigeria's progress(PDP) will not give a chance for people like you to emerge.

For now Donald Duke is the only man who deserve my Vote. Even if he come out as single candidate i would cast my vote for him.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by KunleOshob(m): 8:34am On Jul 26, 2010
Yes oh! Let's all register to be a part of the Duke Campaign on the link provided below.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by philip0906(m): 8:44am On Jul 26, 2010
na wa o. . .so much love 4 Donald Duke.But sure,he won't win it though he sounds like someone who knows his onion.He'd better change dat "gud boy" attitude of his,if he is 2 stand a chance. . .This is naija,not yankee.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Brownteeth(m): 9:16am On Jul 26, 2010
Become president or die trying.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by udezue(m): 9:25am On Jul 26, 2010
Donald Duke or Jonathan Azikiwe Goodluck? Hhhhhhhmmmm I'm torn between the two.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Duroe: 11:27am On Jul 26, 2010
I hav not read his speech, but I read what he said about governors colluding with electoral officers to rig election. Why is it now that he is revealing it having been a beneficiary for 8years? Did he steal any public money while a governor for those years? Can he assure us that he did not steal or has he declared and returned all stolen money?
And what is his vision for Nigeria?
When we vote in UK, we choose based on what the person has to offer the country not whether he was good before or whether he is a fine man.
Nigeria is old enough to make choices not based on the useless 'zoning', ethnic or religious sentiments, but strictly on what the contestants have to offer and how reliable he is to do what he desire to do.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf:

Donald Duke is in danger of burning himself out by becoming a perpertual presidential candidate.
The simple truth is that, his timing is totally wrong, he will face an impossible struggle to appeal across the country. How will he cope with "zoning" for example? It all seems too vague, where is his party machinery?

Donald Duke will never be the product of PDP's horsetrading. That horsetrading never produce competent candidates. The Kingmakers will only produce fools they can teleguide.

His taking the bull by the horn and running on another platform is in itself a demonstration of real leadership. All this candidates they keep springing up from PDP none can compare Donald.

He should run, if he fails so be it. It is better for him to run and fail than to look himself in the mirror every morning saying "I refused to do something about Nigeria out of cowardice".
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 26, 2010
I will vote for Duke even if my vote is a lone vote I dont care. I will rather vote for him knowing that I voted someone who I thought in my head was up to the job.

The rest (and this unfortunately includes President Jonathan) na moi moi as far as am concerned.

Duke does not need the PDP model of party structure.

He is going to run an insurgent campaign, and campaign will be formed around Organised Labour, Working People, Nollywood, University People, Young Enterpreneurs.

These group of people will carry his message of change to the villages.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Beaf: 2:00pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

Donald Duke will never be the product of PDP's horsetrading. That horsetrading never produce competent candidates. The Kingmakers will only produce fools they can teleguide.

His taking the bull by the horn and running on another platform is in itself a demonstration of real leadership. All this candidates they keep springing up from PDP none can compare Donald.

He should run, if he fails so be it. It is better for him to run and fail than to look himself in the mirror every morning saying "I refused to do something about Nigeria out of cowardice".

You have fallen for Dukes idealism, but we need cold, hard headed practicality at this time.

That he will not be the product of PDP's horse trading, does not take away from the fact that the trade is going on anyway. I would like to know how Duke intends to counter or quash that trade, because it is the only trick worth pulling. "Zoning" is the measuring bar by which the country will fail or succeed, it is the defining characteristic of the old politics we wish to see the back off; everything else must hang of defeating it. Nobody can create a better Nigeria without defeating the old forces, how is Duke going to approach that without any machinery on the ground or strategies in place?

. . .Great guy, poor timing.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2010
Why did Donald Duke only recently quit the PDP party? Was it because he thought the party that helped propel and sustain him all this while would not pick him as the next presidential candidate on the PDP ticket?
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by monkeyleg: 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
His timing is not wrong, infact it is very right. what is lacking in Nigeria is the collective desire for change. That is why we have all become perpertual siddon lookers, every good at phycoanalysing others and coming up with the usual prediction, that they would not win.

I wouldnt say duke is my prefered candidate, but he remains one of the best of the awful lot. If Nigerian really seek and desire change, they will awake from their slumber and ignite the necessary momentum that we need to effect that change
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Beaf: 2:49pm On Jul 26, 2010
monkeyleg:

His timing is not wrong, infact it is very right. what is lacking in Nigeria is the collective desire for change. That is why we have all become perpertual siddon lookers, every good at phycoanalysing others and coming up with the usual prediction, that they would not win.

I wouldnt say duke is my prefered candidate, but he remains one of the best of the awful lot. If Nigerian really seek and desire change, they will awake from their slumber and ignite the necessary momentum that we need to effect that change

Don't get caught out. Donald Duke is simply taking on a negotiating position, he stands no chance. Elections are won in the motor parks, markets and unions, not on facebook. We will soon find out what he wants.

I very strongly believe Donald Duke has brilliant ideas, but he lacks the necessary machinery on the ground. More importantly, he has yet to unfurl a strategy to defeat the old politics; that to me is an imperative first step for any political aspirant. Anyone failing to deal with the old politics will only get swamped by its almost immeasurable power. So I ask again, what is Donald Dukes anti-zoning / pro-merit strategy? If he has none, its straightforward to conclude that his timing is wrong.

To those who think zoning is a PDP, rather than an old politics issue, do you wonder why certain elements of a political party would threaten to pull out and support other political parties that satisfy a certain sectional agenda?
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2010
monkeyleg:

Kobojunkie:

Why did Donald Duke only recently quit the PDP party? I mean this is a party that is guilty of so many of the attrocities he claims to speak up against. Why did he continue to fraternize with the very same till only a couple of weeks ago? Was it because he thought the party that helped propel and sustain him all this while would not pick him as the next presidential candidate on the PDP ticket?
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2010
Beaf

I am not some wild-eyed idealist. Most of what I do is rooted in reality albeit leaving a little room for Hope and Change. I prefer to describe myself as a Centrist with left leaning sentiments. Donald Duke can be decribed in this way and this is why I agree with him most of the time.
There is a fine line of demarcation between "cold hard reality" and "Cynicism". That fine line has "Hope" written all over it, when that line begins to get blurred people begin to confuse "cynicism" and "realism". When people get cynical in the name of being real the result becomes stagnation and no progress because they simply refuse to hope.

Jonathan has been given the stage to prove his worth, but he has failed to own the stage. I am not convinced on his leadership abilities and same goes for many Nigerians.

Jonathan Goodluck will not win PDP primaries (He does not have enough Governors in the bag). If he does win PDP primaries by hook or crook; PDP will become a weaker and fractured party and the North will move massively in the opposite direction. That will mean Jonathan will either loose the general election or will need to rig massively in other to win. If he does win by rigging he will be a very weak and ineffective leader. While Obj or Yar'adua can run this country with a stolen mandate, Jonathan will have difficulties with a stolen mandate.

In essence Jonathan will turn out to be a liability to the Progressives and the South in general.

The best Scenario for Nigeria to be honest is for Jonathan to fail at PDP primaries so that the South and most progressives in Nigeria can focus on Duke. Duke can win the election all together by strong showings in most of the State Capitals in Nigeria and then winning massiviely in Southern and Middle-belt villages.

Most elections since 1999 have been decided by 1/5 to 1/3 of the population. If Duke's plan to build a movement around Labour, Students, Youth etc works we can get more voters to the poll to topple PDP. But Jonathan does not have the charisma to execute this.

Elections in true demcracies are won by those who can tap the passion of voters.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by KnowAll(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2010
[size=14pt]Where is that simpleton from Texas who was planning on running, I guess he has smelt the coffee, Duke is fighting a lost cause OR better still a rebel without a cause. Che Guevera when he had all the machinery to pull out a succesful revolution he succeded like championshiop poker player, a worthy chess grandmaster , but when he stuck his unbridled head in the murky swamps of Bolivian Politics without the necessary machinery behind him he was shot like a dog, killed like a common criminal.

I guess Duke has his strategy but a good stretegy it better be,  because the Nigerian terrane defiles reasoning logic let alone common sense, that terrane is not for the faint hearted, it is the homestead of blood sucking vampire's who would not flinch at killing their own mothers OR defiling their own sister's in other to chase an allusion, Duke be prepared for war.  [/size]
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by naso2(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2010
Sweet talk. politicians ehn.They always know what people want to hear, hence they say it only during election period.

Well i am not fooled, the way things happen with these politicians it is only a matter of some backdoor negotiations for him to drop his ambition and go back to his 'family', PDP.

In any case , may be he feels he needs to keep himself active with all these troubles because i dont see him getting 500, 000 votes. how much more winning the elections.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie

Donald Duke clearly said that the attrocities he speaks up against are a Nigerian thing not just PDP. except you want to ask him why he remained a Nigerian while those attrocities where committed then let us move on to something else.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by spikedcylinder: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why did Donald Duke only recently quit the PDP party? Was it because he thought the party that helped propel and sustain him all this while would not pick him as the next presidential candidate on the PDP ticket?

My sentiments exactly. On what platform did he run for governor TWICE and won by a milestone? undecided
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Beaf: 3:41pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

Beaf

I am not some wild-eyed idealist. Most of what I do is rooted in reality albeit leaving a little room for Hope and Change. I prefer to describe myself as a Centrist with left leaning sentiments. Donald Duke can be decribed in this way and this is why I agree with him most of the time.
There is a fine line of demarcation between "cold hard reality" and "Cynicism". That fine line has "Hope" written all over it, when that line begins to get blurred people begin to confuse "cynicism" and "realism". When people get cynical in the name of being real the result becomes stagnation and no progress because they simply refuse to hope.

Jonathan has been given the stage to prove his worth, but he has failed to own the stage. I am not convinced on his leadership abilities and same goes for many Nigerians.

Jonathan Goodluck will not win PDP primaries (He does not have enough Governors in the bag). If he does win PDP primaries by hook or crook; PDP will become a weaker and fractured party and the North will move massively in the opposite direction. That will mean Jonathan will either loose the general election or will need to rig massively in other to win. If he does win by rigging he will be a very weak and ineffective leader. While and Obj or Yar'adua can run this country with a stolen mandate, Jonathan will have difficulties with a stolen mandate.

In essence Jonathan will turn out to be a liability to the Progressives and the South in general.

The best Scenario for Nigeria to be honest is for Jonathan to fail at PDP primaries so that the South and most progressives in Nigeria can focus on Duke. Duke can win the election all together by strong showings in most of the State Capitals in Nigeria and then winning massiviely in Southern and Middle-belt villages.

Most elections since 1999 have been decided by 1/5 to 1/3 of the population. If Duke's plan to build a movement around Labour, Students, Youth etc works we can get more voters to the poll to topple PDP. But Jonathan does not have the charisma to execute this.

Elections in true demcracies are won by those who can tap the passion of voters.

Please pardon me if I came across as implying that you were some "wild-eyed idealist"; that is certainly not my belief or intention.

You say, "Jonathan has been given the stage to prove his worth, but he has failed to own the stage". I think you are forgetting one very important fact, Jonathan has been President for just two months. He was sworn in on 6 May 2010; no President (even a dictator) can totally own the stage after just two months in power, especially after the sort of bitter succession battle we witnessed.
When that is put into consideration, your permutations for the future must also fall. What is indeed pertinent is the question; how is Donald Duke planning to tackle the old politics that threw Nigeria into upheaval only recently and is threatening the same again through "zoning"? If he has no plan, then his timing is wrong; it is best he waits for the defeat of those forces or joins hands in the fight.
Right now, he has no machinery and sounds too vague.

In his brief two months as President, Jonathan must be praised for being a strong uniting voice for the country. Nigeria was very close to the edge. . . But thats another story, lets talk about Duke.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2010
Donald Duke had better save himself time, effort, resources and heart/head ache.
This is a no go.
Re: Time To Hope For A Different Future - Donald Duke Kicks Of Campaign. by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2010
mikeansy:

Kobojunkie

Donald Duke clearly said that the attrocities he speaks up against are a Nigerian thing not just PDP. except you want to ask him why he remained a Nigerian while those attrocities where committed then let us move on to something else.

So because these attrocities were not commited ONLY by the PDP, the questions are somehow made invalid? Come on now!!! Answer the questions, not try to lead me in circles as usual. Being a Nigeria is NOT The problem, has never been, UNLESS you believe the Nigerian problem here is simply being a Nigeria.

Back to the issue at hand. .  apparently the man does know there is a problem with the party since he himself left RIGHT BEFORE he commenced his campaign for presidency. So again  . . . 

Why did Donald Duke only recently quit the PDP party? I mean this is a party that is guilty of so many of the attrocities he claims to speak up against. Why did he continue to fraternize with the very same till only a couple of weeks ago?  Was it because he thought the party that helped propel and sustain him all this while would not pick him as the next presidential candidate on the PDP ticket?

spikedcylinder:

My sentiments exactly. On what platform did he run for governor TWICE and won by a milestone? undecided

Abi ooo?? It seems the new trend is for politicians to jump ship and claim the CABAL is responsible for it all, claiming exemption after years of enjoying the benefits that came with being members of the same CABAL.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ndigbo And Gej's Presidency. / In Which Party Are The Yar'adua Cabals?-cpc / The Letter That Killed Acn/cpc Alliance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.