Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,129 members, 7,818,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? (2143 Views)

What Makes Up BIAFRA? Can Biafra Become A Separate Entity From Nigeria? / David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained / John Lennon And Wife Protesting British Involvement In Biafra War (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by azeez4islam(m): 5:30am On Nov 18, 2018
WHAT IS THE WAY OUT?
I wish Sir Soyinka (or/and other neutral Highly Intellectual Fellows) could profer solution to this unavoidable discussion.

Few years ago when I read 'THERE WAS A COUNTRY', I agreed with Sir Achebe on the underlined words *see image*.

But, from another angle, if it's to be taught in class, biased opinion would be mixed with the curriculum

A man who himself is a champion of Biafra agitation, if he find himself in the classroom, what do you think he will teach to students?

Exactly! that's the government's concerns why they decided this shouldn't be taught as a subject or topic.

On another account, A man who was narrating the war experience to us sometimes ago in the office, said "We killed those Igbo people ehn, chai! we kill them plenti plenti, we bought their houses at chikini moni while they fled to the East" *spoken in his dialect, I translated this to Pidgin for sake of this content*

From the quote, you'd have noticed the angle the man inclined towards, such person would do more damage than good if he happens to be a teacher that's to deliver a topic on Biafra war.

Now, in other to prevent biased teaching, Government forbids that it be discussed -deeply- in the classroom or 'slightly touched at the minimum level and not further discussed beyond the class'

But, what is the way out?

We can't continue to avoid it, because one way it still find a way to creep into our mind, thanks to social media, brutal videos and images are shared on Fallen Heroes' day, so without proper enlightenment, the effect we are trying so hard to avoid is still taking place.

Anger, infuriation, hatred, distrust are the result of these narrations. How do we construct the curriculum (not fine tuned) such that it be taught in classes, because despite that none of my generation and the ones of my parent didn't serve any slave master, the account of the slave trade still creep into people's mind and cause them to hate the Colonial masters, similar (or even worse) hatred is what the Biafra experience is causing.

so, what is the way OUT?
soon, all the main actors will be go to rest and all we'll forever have is hearsays and stories.
- should the actors say the truth? truth can even be damaging than constructed lies, but can we bear the truth?
- should they apologize? I'm sorry doesn't really change events too
- should a National Confab (where every tribe is duly represented) be held where intellectuals not tribalists would gather to suggest a perfect solution on how to teach us our ugly past, to avoid biased story.

I really don't have the right knowledge to suggest things, but what do you think? how best can it be taught?

no need to talk about the war on this post, we all agreed it was ugly, very bloody indeed, Just suggestion where we can all unlearn and learn.

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 5:56am On Nov 18, 2018
The best way to be taught in school is *it should never be taught* forget it for life and move on, unless you want to have another future Nnamdi kanu that will lead the igbo community astray again

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by marsoden: 6:11am On Nov 18, 2018
MrRush:
The best way to be taught in school is *it should never be taught* forget it for life and move on, unless you want to have another future Nnamdi kanu that will lead the igbo community astray again

That's not true. The best way is to teach it in schools and also teach reconciliation and rebuilding. The American civil war was taught in their schools. Do you see any section agitating for self rule? The tutsi and hutu war of Uganda is still being talked about, yet they have moved beyond that stage. Man is naturally curious, so no matter how much you try to hide what happened, there must be someone that would dig them out. The civil war, reconciliation and rebuilding are supposed to adorn our history classes. I can't really remember the government that stopped the teaching of history in our schools.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 6:28am On Nov 18, 2018
marsoden:

That's not true. The best way is to teach it in schools and also teach reconciliation and rebuilding. The American civil war was taught in their schools. Do you see any section agitating for self rule? The tutsi and hutu war of Uganda is still being talked about, yet they have moved beyond that stage. Man is naturally curious, so no matter how much you try to hide what happened, there must be someone that would dig them out. The civil war, reconciliation and rebuilding are supposed to adorn our history classes. I can't really remember the government that stopped the teaching of history in our schools.
I still believe the best way is not to teach, but teach how to live with one another irrespective of the region or tribe for better one Nigeria in the future.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by marsoden: 6:37am On Nov 18, 2018
MrRush:
I still believe the best way is not to teach, but teach how to live with one another irrespective of the region or tribe for better one Nigeria in the future.

You can't solve a problem by neglecting and covering up the roots. Do you know that if it is taught in schools with the reconciliation and rebuilding, if the likes of Kanu arises with their gospel of Biafra, most of the "to-be" followers would tell him that they've moved past that stage, that they've forgiven, forgotten and are geared more towards nation building. However, if it's not taught, it's easy to brainwash people, it's easy to instill bitterness, thereby making it easy to create agitations because of the gruesome war stories.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 6:46am On Nov 18, 2018
marsoden:

You can't solve a problem by neglecting and covering up the roots. Do you know that if it is taught in schools with the reconciliation and rebuilding, if the likes of Kanu arises with their gospel of Biafra, most of the "to-be" followers would tell him that they've moved past that stage, that they've forgiven, forgotten and are geared more towards nation building. However, if it's not taught, it's easy to brainwash people, it's easy to instill bitterness, thereby making it easy to create agitations because of the gruesome war stories.
agree
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 6:46am On Nov 18, 2018
marsoden:

agree with this explanation

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by kanubiafra: 6:47am On Nov 18, 2018
marsoden:

according to the guy you quoted it should not be "taught" in school but the igbo's should be "taunted" and "haunted" with its outcome. well no problem he should be ready for more kanu to lead the igbo's. they have not even been able to handle the current kanu, not to talk of "more kanu"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by IbrahimDamola: 6:56am On Nov 18, 2018
MrRush:

The brain inside your dumboharist skull don expire. Go meet human part dealers for osun make dem sell new brain give you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by kettykin: 6:56am On Nov 18, 2018
marsoden:

It seems you folks don't really understand what fuels biafra, as long as Nigeria keeps operating like a ponzi scheme and a disjointed federation where injustice reigns then biafra is far from over . Whether you decide to teach biafra in school or not.

There are a million young men waiting to take over from Nnamdi kanu if he compromises biafra. Some of these young men dont have the tact nk has and will dish out the message unedited .

What seems to be holding a militant biafra is UN General assembly mandate. I seriously believe the days of Nigeria is numbered if nothing changes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by marsoden: 7:03am On Nov 18, 2018
kettykin:

It seems you folks don't really understand what fuels biafra, as long as Nigeria keeps operating like a ponzi scheme and a disjointed federation where injustice reigns then biafra is far from over . Whether you decide to teach biafra in school or not.

There are a million young men waiting to take over from Nnamdi kanu if he compromises biafra. Some of these young men dont have the tact nk has and will dish out the message unedited .

What seems to be holding a militant biafra is UN General assembly mandate. I seriously believe the days of Nigeria is numbered if nothing changes

Please read and also reread what I wrote. There is teaching, reconciliation and rebuilding. Your question has already been answered by the REBUILDING.

2 Likes

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 7:03am On Nov 18, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

The brain inside your dumboharist skull don expire. Go meet human part dealers for osun make dem sell new brain give you.
who be did frog?

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by CaptainStephen(m): 7:06am On Nov 18, 2018
By teaching the truth and nothing but the truth, fact is both sides committed committed grave atrocities as well as well as ignoble roles played by both leaders.
Future generations need to know without recourse to sensationalism.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

Your papa no get sperm cells, na your papa friend impregnate ya mama before dem born you. Lo gba researchi. grin
lol see this product of a baby factory, u be frog o just incase u don know

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by IbrahimDamola: 7:10am On Nov 18, 2018
MrRush:
lol see this product of a baby factory, u be frog o just incase u don know

I hear say ya papa bin dey Bleep you for nyash as per incest wey be una calling for una tribe. grin
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by MrRush(m): 7:22am On Nov 18, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

I hear say ya papa bin dey Bleep you for nyash as per incest wey be una calling for una tribe. grin
has una dey do for the frog kingdom wey una come from abi?

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by Turantula(m): 7:31am On Nov 18, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by ifyboy60(m): 7:39am On Nov 18, 2018
IbrahimDamola:

somebody made his point in a civil manner, if u don't like it why not counter it with a better response instead of resorting to insults.
anyways, it's better it is taught in schools afterall, hate still finds its way even though it's not taught.

3 Likes

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 7:45am On Nov 18, 2018
My opinion, it shouldn't be taught . Each region will have different interpretation to what actually happened and that may brew another hatred/war
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 7:47am On Nov 18, 2018
ifyboy60:

somebody made his point in a civil manner, if u don't like it why not counter it with a better response instead of resorting to insults.
anyways, it's better it is taught in schools afterall, hate still finds its way even though it's not taught.

Chai, and you also have time to reply him. Don't expect any reasonable comments from him. Take your time to read all his post here. Real Yoruba impersonator

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by chiagozien(m): 7:54am On Nov 18, 2018
The best way to teach about biafra war is First,grant biafrans their independent nation,

then yorubas and hausafulanis will continue with one nigeria and teach their children about the biafra war the way that suits them.

While on the other biafran will also teach their children about the war the way it suit them too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 8:00am On Nov 18, 2018
chiagozien:
The best way to teach about biafra war is First,grant biafrans their independent nation,

then yorubas and hausafulanis will continue with one nigeria and teach their children about the biafra war the way that suits them.

While on the other biafran will also teach their children about the war the way it suit them too.

Grant just like that? On what basis?
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by chiagozien(m): 8:05am On Nov 18, 2018
argon500:

Grant just like that? On what basis?
on the basis that we are not one and can never be one,

until we tell ourselves the truth we will keep getting the same results.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 8:09am On Nov 18, 2018
chiagozien:
on the basis that we are not one and can never be one,

until we tell ourselves the truth we will keep getting the same results.

Honestly, I wish you guys should get the Biafra but the problem is the way you guys are approaching it. For Biafra to come, SE must partner with other region but your approach is different.
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by chiagozien(m): 8:18am On Nov 18, 2018
argon500:

Honestly, I wish you guys should get the Biafra but the problem is the way you guys are approaching it. For Biafra to come, SE must partner with other region but your approach is different.
partner with you as one nigeria or what,

or you want igbos to be on their kneel begging you for freedom.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 8:22am On Nov 18, 2018
chiagozien:
partner with you as one nigeria or what,

or you want igbos to be on their kneel begging you for freedom.

Igbos alone can't get Biafra by themselves.Secession is not in Nigeria constitution. You need to convince other Nigerians why they should let you go. Without house of rep revisiting Secession clause, any region shouting secession are only wasting their time.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by IbrahimDamola: 8:43am On Nov 18, 2018
ifyboy60:

He insulted the sensibility of Easterners with his comment, if that is okay because you are blinded by hate for Easterners then join him on the way to Jankara human spare parts market to also get a new brain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by azeez4islam(m): 9:14am On Nov 18, 2018
argon500:
My opinion, it shouldn't be taught . Each region will have different interpretation to what actually happened and that may brew another hatred/war

If every tribe is Represented accordingly and they agreed to the best way to teach it, they will present the Messenger with the message. and the ministry of education will be fully aware of this sensitive subject/topic, as such the messengers will be carefully selected and they will teach it effectively. even videos of other region war (e.g middle east countries) could be used as teaching aid to let the students know that outcome of war only favours the rich

1 Like

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by argon500: 9:22am On Nov 18, 2018
azeez4islam:

If every tribe is Represented accordingly and they agreed to the best way to teach it, they will present the Messenger with the message. and the ministry of education will be fully aware of this sensitive subject/topic, as such the messengers will be carefully selected and they will teach it effectively. even videos of other region war (e.g middle east countries) could be used as teaching aid to let the students know that outcome of war only favours the rich

This is Nigeria. People will take it personal. The hatred is visible most especially between Yoruba and Igbo. Let me give you an example, down SW here even we weren't taught at school but our version of war is totally different from SE narratives. Even up till today, there is no real credible information about what really transpire during the war. All we have is different faction of stories
Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by gidgiddy: 9:52am On Nov 18, 2018
azeez4islam:
WHAT IS THE WAY OUT?
I wish Sir Soyinka (or/and other neutral Highly Intellectual Fellows) could profer solution to this unavoidable discussion.

Few years ago when I read 'THERE WAS A COUNTRY', I agreed with Sir Achebe on the underlined words *see image*.

But, from another angle, if it's to be taught in class, biased opinion would be mixed with the curriculum

A man who himself is a champion of Biafra agitation, if he find himself in the classroom, what do you think he will teach to students?

Exactly! that's the government's concerns why they decided this shouldn't be taught as a subject or topic.

On another account, A man who was narrating the war experience to us sometimes ago in the office, said "We killed those Igbo people ehn, chai! we kill them plenti plenti, we bought their houses at chikini moni while they fled to the East" *spoken in his dialect, I translated this to Pidgin for sake of this content*

From the quote, you'd have noticed the angle the man inclined towards, such person would do more damage than good if he happens to be a teacher that's to deliver a topic on Biafra war.

Now, in other to prevent biased teaching, Government forbids that it be discussed -deeply- in the classroom or 'slightly touched at the minimum level and not further discussed beyond the class'

But, what is the way out?

We can't continue to avoid it, because one way it still find a way to creep into our mind, thanks to social media, brutal videos and images are shared on Fallen Heroes' day, so without proper enlightenment, the effect we are trying so hard to avoid is still taking place.

Anger, infuriation, hatred, distrust are the result of these narrations. How do we construct the curriculum (not fine tuned) such that it be taught in classes, because despite that none of my generation and the ones of my parent didn't serve any slave master, the account of the slave trade still creep into people's mind and cause them to hate the Colonial masters, similar (or even worse) hatred is what the Biafra experience is causing.

so, what is the way OUT?
soon, all the main actors will be go to rest and all we'll forever have is hearsays and stories.
- should the actors say the truth? truth can even be damaging than constructed lies, but can we bear the truth?
- should they apologize? I'm sorry doesn't really change events too
- should a National Confab (where every tribe is duly represented) be held where intellectuals not tribalists would gather to suggest a perfect solution on how to teach us our ugly past, to avoid biased story.

I really don't have the right knowledge to suggest things, but what do you think? how best can it be taught?

no need to talk about the war on this post, we all agreed it was ugly, very bloody indeed, Just suggestion where we can all unlearn and learn.

There is a deliberate policy not to teach the younger ones about the Biafran war because to do so would to expose a long held secret Nigeria has been trying to hide for over 50 years.

How do you teach children that a coup in which Major Ademoyega, Captain Adeleke, Captain Egbiko and Lt Oyewole were all willing participants was an "Igbo coup"?

How do you teach Children that Northerners rose up and slaughtered over 50,000 men, women and children from the East based the so called 'Igbo coup?

How do you teach children that General Danjuma, who killed a sitting head of state in cold blood, is still a highly respected and influential man in Nigeria despite commiting murder?

How do you teach children that Gowon and Ojukwu met in Ghana and reached an agreement which they both signed only for Gowon to return to Nigeria and break the agreement, leaving Ojukwu with no other choice than to declare Biafra

How do you teach children that Nigeria used starvation as an instrument of war to starve a million children to death? An action today regarded as war crime

Finally, how do you teach children that despite a civil war to keep Nigeria one, Nigeria has never been one since the civil war ended?

The Biafran war will never be taught in schools, doing so would expose Nigeria as the fraud It is.

2 Likes

Re: How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 18, 2018
The solution to all these biafra wahala is for the igbos to go back and develop the east while limiting migration and investment in other parts of Nigeria. By so doing, the igbos will be dealing with Nigeria from a position of strenght and on a firm footing in case of another war.

As things are, other Nigerians will never trust igbos as to allow them to control critical and sensitive levers of power and policy. As I have said several times, neither me nor my generations will ever vote for an igbo man to be the commander in chief of the Nigerian armed forces due to the hate the average igbo man has for yorubas. I can't just imagine what the igbos will do to their eternal enemies-the yorubas- if they ever get power.

As a yoruba man, I ain't interested in biafra histrionics, neither will my children. What people from my side of the country want either for the igbos to be let go or for them to be kept very far from power. If the igbos really want biafra, peace and development, they should develop the east aggressively and plan meticulously for war with the muslim North. It would be a hard task, but it is not impossible.

Biafra Is achievable if the igbos really want it. From where I stand, igbos are not serious about biafra. They just want power in Nigeria but they would never get it.

Selah.

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Salary For Civil Servants Till May If...-Gov Amosun / Nigerians At Ikoyi Office Of Nigerian Immigration Service To Get Their Passports / Ebonyi State Government Commence Allocation Of International Market (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.