Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? (1666 Views)

How To Get A Towed Car Back Without Paying / Car Back Windows Tinting Enquires / How To Avoid Buying A Foreign But Stolen Car In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by searchng4love: 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2018
If your car is stolen, and then you just so happen to stumble across it parked in the street, are you legally allowed to steal it back then and there without calling the police or anything? Even though you reported it earlier?
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by searchng4love: 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2018
heavenlybang, rzarecta2, radautoworks oyindidi
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by radautoworks: 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2018
searchng4love:
heavenlybang, rzecta2, radautoworks oyindidi

Na my mama go answer dis one. I no be lawyer.

Technically it's not stealing and you have the key so I would personally get in the vehicle, drive to a vantage point and wait to see who comes to look for it then call the cops. I'll have to ask my mom if it's legal though but I would think yes.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by searchng4love: 2:56pm On Nov 19, 2018
radautoworks:

Technically it's not stealing and you have the key so I would personally get in the vehicle, drive to a vantage point and wait to see who comes to look for it then call the cops. I'll have to ask my mom if it's legal though but I would think yes.

radautoworks:

ah ah what if the unexpected were left in the car by the thief, e.g. weapons, human parts, dead bodies and/or drugs, etc.

wouldn't you also be a little concerned about your safety if you were just to hop in and drive it away (how would those who stole it react if they saw you with their commodities still inside the vehicle?).

1 Like

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:34pm On Nov 19, 2018
searchng4love:
If your car is stolen, and then you just so happen to stumble across it parked in the street, are you legally allowed to steal it back then and there without calling the police or anything? Even though you reported it earlier?

You can't steal something that belongs to you, mate. You're just taking your car back, as long as you have proof that it's yours.
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by searchng4love: 3:48pm On Nov 19, 2018
would you take it back without recourse to the law enforcement officers?
HeavenlyBang:

You can't steal something that belongs to you, mate. You're just taking your car back, as long as you have proof that it's yours.
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:55pm On Nov 19, 2018
searchng4love:
would you take it back without recourse to the law enforcement officers?

In Nigeria? Probably, tbh. But the country is so messed up that it could go either way. Imagine calling the police to aid with recovery, then they get bribed and tell you that it was never yours.

Sounds ridiculous but worse have happened in Nigeria.

Anyway, if I were the one, I'd use law enforcement nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by Yinkey6(m): 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2018
Wow.. Nice question..
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by apexquest(m): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2018
I will insert my key, start car and drive to the station where I first reported it. Na them go check whether exhibit dey inside..

1 Like

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by radautoworks: 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2018
searchng4love:

ah ah what if the unexpected were left in the car by the thief, e.g. weapons, human parts, dead bodies and/or drugs, etc.

wouldn't you also be a little concerned about your safety if you were just to hop in and drive it away (how would those who stole it react if they saw you with their commodities still inside the vehicle?).

That's why I said I'll call the police from a hidden vantage point and that I'm not a lawyer
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by radautoworks: 2:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
So my mom said legally no you may not. At least in Nigeria.

"Definitely not. That would make 2 thieves! In such an event, call the police who are able to impound it and hand it back to you after due process."

4 Likes

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2018
radautoworks:
So my mom said legally no you may not. At least in Nigeria.

"Definitely not. That would make 2 thieves! In such an event, call the police who are able to impound it and hand it back to you after due process."

what if police comes later than u expect? and then from your hiding spot, u see them enter the vehicle(police Neva come), drive off and wave u bye bye.....

me I'd probably call the cops. raise alarm (e no go hard me for naija, at least) people go plenty (area boiz)...... we will loose one of the tire and continue making noise till those guys(police oh) eventually show up (if by chance fuel dey Dia hilux and they eventually arrive).

a more subtle form of this thread is more like asking someone: if someone slapped ur spouse in public, would u:

a) call the cops and wait for them to arrive and handle the situation
b) release hell on the person
c) apologize to the person
d) call a lawyer to direct action

each scenario can play out very bad even option "b"...what if the person dies while all hell is let loose. lol....

now replace "slapped" with "kidnapped" and in this scenario, u happened to find your spouse alone and sedated in a vehicle somewhere! what would u do?
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

In Nigeria? Probably, tbh. But the country is so messed up that it could go either way. Imagine calling the police to aid with recovery, then they get bribed and tell you that it was never yours.

Sounds ridiculous but worse have happened in Nigeria.

Anyway, if I were the one, I'd use law enforcement nonetheless.

happens BRO...

I heard of someone who lost his ride, police retrieved it and different Tori enta mata, took almost a year for the guy to get his ride back.

even though the stories were so much we didn't even know the true one again, I know he paid well to get the car out of police custody. police can change mata anyhow they choose in this our country.

one has to be smart and articulate in handling certain situations, not by being impulsive all the time

1 Like

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
searchng4love:

u have to be very detailed in your assessment of any inherent risk before acting....

me, I wouldn't drive the car.... heck I wouldn't even enter it.... I'd find a way of immobilizing it though...... if na to beg trucks to park sideways and in front to make sure the car doesn't leave that spot...... I will gladly do it and pay... one has to be creative sha.

in order of priority....
1. make noise while being vigilant and attentive to the environment before those same boiz ball out in Grande style.
2. call the cops while making noise.... call area boiz too...
3. immobilize the vehicle without entering the vehicle..
4. wait for the cops to arrive while watching everywhere for dem boiz
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

happens BRO...

I heard of someone who lost his ride, police retrieved it and different Tori enta mata, took almost a year for the guy to get his ride back.

even though the stories were so much we didn't even know the true one again, I know he paid well to get the car out of police custody. police can change mata anyhow they choose in this our country.

one has to be smart and articulate in handling certain situations, not by being impulsive all the time

This country is a mess. We should just package it for Chibecan to sell on OLX.
Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
apexquest:
I will insert my key, start car and drive to the station where I first reported it. Na them go check whether exhibit dey inside..

wrongest move

1 Like

Re: Are You Allowed To Legally Steal Your Stolen Car Back? by CrEaToRmalden(m): 5:38pm On Aug 03, 2020
Stealing back your car is more like "stealing", so you do not have to steal. Always contact the police before crooks legalise a stolen car.

(1) (Reply)

Is Mercedes Benz A160 Reliable To Use In Nigeria / 1999 Honda Accord Auto Transmission Problem: I Need Help. / Use Coca Cola To Get Your Car Going.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.