Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,737 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

THE #RS2019 MANIFESTO - Because We Deserve More - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / THE #RS2019 MANIFESTO - Because We Deserve More (226 Views)

Anambra 2021: AAC, Dr Chidozie Nwankwo (wichtech) The Governor We Deserve. / Kano Indigenes Deserve More Federal Jobs Than Other States: Ganduje / Muiz Banire: Why Ambode Doesn't Deserve 2nd Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

THE #RS2019 MANIFESTO - Because We Deserve More by ppamba(m): 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2018
Yesterday the Independent National Electoral Commission lifted the ban on campaigns for the 2019 Presidential and National Assembly offices. Today marks the beginning of the final lap in a race that commenced about 24 months ago. Tomorrow looks bright because I firmly believe Southern Kaduna deserves more.

No doubt we need strong and stable leadership to make the most of the opportunities before us. Sadly, our senatorial zone lags behind in every one of the sustainable development goals, be it eradication of hunger and poverty, provision of good health, quality education, clean water, decent economic growth, industry, bridging inequality, or ensuring peace and justice. To make any headway therefore, we require leadership, and not just leadership but one that understands that the methods of the 80s and 90s are derelict, not because the methods are not an attempt at addressing the challenges but because they are not relevant in addressing 21st century complexities that confront us. We need leadership with a passion to rid our communities of poverty, diseases, and illiteracy. As a people we must raise the bar when it comes to our expectations of our leaders. In this age and time, our demand should be nothing short of the global standards of development.

This is what I represent: the dawn of the new order, a shift from the old ways of doing things, to a modern and inclusive approach to community development; from stagnation and unproductivity to progress and creative productivity, peace, and prosperity; from reactionary approach to challenges to a more proactive approach. More than ever before, we need the arrival of that dawn. I am running for the office of Senate to represent Kaduna South Senatorial Zone in the 2019 general elections under the platform of the SDP because I know we deserve more.

The Southern Kaduna nation is blessed with educated and critical thinkers and I am sure I am not the only one who is persuaded that we deserve better. The good people of Southern Kaduna, I hereby present to you not just a manifesto but an action plan to which I should be held accountable. My tenure in office, when elected, will seek to place our region on the global map where we belong. I therefore invite you - irrespective of your political party affiliation- to partner with me as we transform our communities into the envy of all because We Can.

BORDER CONTROL

Our Senatorial Zone has had its fair share of insecurity challenges confronting the nation, much of which can be traced to the illegal inflow of persons through our borders. The Nigerian Immigration Service in April 2014 revealed the existence of over 1400 illegal border routes into Nigeria. Whether the current administration has done anything about it or not, I shall, as a matter of urgency, bring the issue to bare on the floor of the Senate immediately I am sworn into office. Tightening our borders will not only keep us safe but provide jobs for the hundreds or men and women that will man border posts, and reduce the influx of illegal and dangerous items into the country. The sovereignty, peace and stability of this country cannot be sacrificed on the altar of partisanship and ethnicity.

TRANSITIONAL JUSTICE

The slow developmental progress in our communities can be partially attributed to decades of unrest and insecurity that have claimed lives and displaced many indigenes. It's a known fact there can't be peace and progress without justice. I shall seek ways within and outside the judicial system to address legacies of injustice against our people, especially those displaced from their ancestral lands. This is the only guaranteed approach to ensuring lasting peace and societal trust in our communities. Another dimension I shall consider will be to revise the issue of state creation which we as a people have agitated for, for decades. In my opinion, having our own state will reduce the problems that have bedeviled our region, arising from all forms of marginalization.

POVERTY ERADICATION

Everywhere you go, young men and women are without jobs, while the elderly lack decent living conditions. Even those with large expanses of land lack the capacity to maximize our fertile soil and favorable weather. To reverse this trend, I shall put in place measures to harness our entire agricultural value chains, from crop production to processing, with special emphasis on cash crops. I shall seek ways to recapitalize our micro finance banks so funds are available to farmers who lack the wherewithal to procure farming inputs such as improved seeds and fertilizers. At least 10 cooperatives will be established in each of the eight local governments, to engage in large scale mechanized farming. With 15 men and women in each of the cooperatives, 1200 young people will be engaged economically, annually.

INDUSTRY & INNOVATION

Raw cashew prices in the global market vary between $1900 and $2100 per ton. In 2017, the average price of processed (roasted) cashew was $10,000. With soil and climatic conditions similar to Niger and Benue States, and a dry port in our State, I shall initiate the process for making our senatorial district a cashew producing, processing and exporting zone. Working with the various youth developmental associations (“YDAs”) and traditional councils, we shall acquire lands and commence the cultivation of 100,000 cashew seedlings in my first year in office. Cashew has a maturity of three years, before which we shall establish cottage industries in each of the local governments. The YDAs will own the plantations and be responsible for their management, in collaboration with relevant consultants and government agencies. I expect that income from this enterprise will go a long way in alleviating some of our societal problems such as granting of scholarships, renovation of schools, and provision of medicines and equipment in our health care centers. We must think outside the box. In fact, no box exists.

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT

1. Primary healthcare – One nurse/midwife in each of the Primary Healthcare Centres (total of 87), to address antenatal and maternity care inadequacies in our communities. We should NOT lose our women and infants at childbirth, in this day and age.

2. Education – At least one community library in each local government to provide primary and secondary school students access to quality reading materials, including recommended text books, which hitherto they cannot afford.

3. Capacity development - Work with NGOs and government development organisations to provide relevant skills acquisition trainings for youths, and teachers especially in English Language and Science subjects.

4. Collaborate with the Chinese and French embassies, and the State Ministry of Education, to introduce their languages at the College of Education, Gidan Waya as optional subjects or standalone courses. In few years to come, graduating students will have career options as teachers of the languages or interpreters or trade agents for business men and multinationals.

This is my manifesto to which I should be held accountable to when elected. In the coming days, my team will commence our Ward-to-Ward campaign to bring our message of peace and prosperity to your doorsteps. I look forward to meeting as many of you.

Rijo Shekari
SDP Senate Candidate
Kaduna South Senatorial Zone
#RS2019

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

No Matter What, Nigeria Must Be Saved From Corruption! / CJN Commends Army On Rule Of Law / IN FULL: ‘what Truly Happened’ — NEMA Responds To House Of Reps Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.