Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,336 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty (19877 Views)

President Buhari Host Saraki, Dogara, Others To Break Ramadan - Photos / Outcry As Saraki, Dogara Sit On Late Legislators Seats / What Saraki, Dogara, Other Npdp Members Actually Want – Oyegun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by IamTheAnswers: 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2018
UK advises Saraki, Dogara, others against dereliction of duty
Published
Sunday Aborisade, Abuja

The United Kingdom on Monday cautioned the National Assembly leadership and members against allowing their personal political ambitions to affect their constitutional responsibilities to Nigerians.

The Acting British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Harriet Thompson, gave the warning after a meeting with the Senate leadership led by the Senate President Bukola Saraki and the Majority Leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan, in Saraki’s office.

She told journalists after the meeting that her mission was to draw the attention of the National Assembly members to the statement released by the international community on Sunday concerning the 2019 general elections.

Thompson said she conveyed the UK’s message to the federal lawmakers not to abandon the legislative activities before them while pursuing their individual political ambitions towards the 2019 polls.

She said, “We met with the Senate President and the Majority Leader of the Senate in order to talk about very important legislative business that the National Assembly should undertake even before the elections especially with the start of the official campaign period at the weekend.

“We are very pleased to hear from both the leader of the majority and the Senate President that there is a great commitment to continue their important work.”

Thompson tasked the federal lawmakers to ensure a speedy passage of critical bills before the end of the tenure because the bills were aimed at improving the lives of Nigerians.

She said Saraki and Lawan assured the British government through her delegation that the National Assembly members would continue with their work despite the ongoing campaigns.

Thompson added, “We are here at the National Assembly to draw attention to the statement released yesterday by the international community including the UK on the occasion of the beginning of formal campaign season.

“We are strongly in support of a process that will be free, fair and credible, and that (which would) lead to the right outcome for Nigeria.

“We look forward to seeing the electoral parties set out their campaign issues that will lead to a transparent play so that the people of Nigeria can choose the candidates that will be best to them.”

She expressed the hope that politicians would campaign based on the issues that matter to the people and that the electorate, would in return, go out to exercise their democratic rights to vote based on their own understanding of what the different political parties and their candidates would do for them and for Nigeria.

She also asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to remain neutral by being fair and just in order to conduct credible polls next year.

“Once again, we recall the important roles of INEC and they should ensure that these elections are generally fair and will lead to the outcome that the Nigerian people chose.”

Saraki had earlier assured the UK envoy that legislative duties in the National Assembly would not be relegated to the background in view of the commencement of the 2019 campaigns.

Saraki said, “It is very important to emphasise that as far as we are concerned, we will follow through on the key bills. We will continue to work on those bills, because they are priorities to the 8th National Assembly – these are bills that were initiated by the legislative arm of government.”

The Punch: UK advises Saraki, Dogara, others against dereliction of duty.
https://punchng.com/uk-advises-saraki-dogara-others-against-dereliction-of-duty/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by IamTheAnswers: 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2018
Children as law makers chiefs

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by tstx(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2018
Our Colonial Masters have Spoken

Meanwhile yall need to read this.. Especially if you are an African
4 Unethical Medical Experiments That Used Africans As Guinea Pigs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by tammie24: 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2018
Now that they don't have anything to loose, I expect them to go hard on the dullard!

1 Like

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by punisha: 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2018
grin

Everyone be advising upandan.

Pls can they come and warn this man that parked into the next compound for us.

Appears it's just him and the security for now. If he's married or not we don't know.

but his voice is so loud as if he swallowed a megaphone,

always screaming the security guy's name upandan and can't stay up-to 5mins without calling d poor guy

Today that is public holiday this man's voice woke us up by 5am.

Oya advisers over to u...

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by diplomat058(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2018
Hi, everyone.
I am lanre, a fresh graduate from OAU, Ile-Ife. My convocation comes up on the 11th of December, 2018 but I have not been able to pay the dues(#15,500) required of me for attendance. I am not lazy to work things out for myself but my Mum's recent illness has left me drained financially, compelling me to opt for public donations on this platform.
This is the only excitement I have had in a long time and I sincerely wish to be part of it. I made a 2:1(4.31/5.0) and will be awarded two departmental prizes on that day. Thanks and God bless as you help make this come to fulfilment for me. Also, proof of my acclaimed status is readily available on request. I have till December 2 to facilitate my payment.

0229425558. Wema Bank

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Ovofresh: 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2018
I pray they listen... Because most of these Nigeria politicians do not care for the masses at all

CHECK MY SIGNATURE:GET YOUR MAXBOUNTY ACCT, plus FREE CPA PREMIUM COURSE.
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ok, face Brexit wahala...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Houseofglam7(f): 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
At least we ain't got useless topics gracing front page today

1 Like

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Firefire(m): 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
Buhary be warned. Any attempt to rig the coming election will be strongly resisted by the world powers.

“We are strongly in support of a process that will be free, fair and credible, and that (which would) lead to the right outcome for Nigeria”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by rusher14: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
In 2022, Saraki would claim this was why he lost his Senate seat.

6 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by ArmaniUhuru: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
UK again??
You will never see them when you need them. Where were they when buhari was busy disobeying court orders?

Na now day break?

4 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by osborn4u: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
They should keep their advice to themselves. What value have they ever added to Nigerian Politics other than undue interference

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by savetheworld: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2018
it is well
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by NwaAmaikpe: 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
shocked

God bless the UK for colonizing Nigeria.
But God will not forgive them for granting Nigeria independence.

Nigeria would have been better than the UAE if the British never left.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Officialpdpnig: 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2018
Saraki who has personalized the senate.

Maybe UK is now APC that is tackling our own senate president and pointing out the obvious to them.

Nigerias senate has never been a bigger Joke than what we have under saraki.

Anytime I see the umbrella of PDP I can't help but remember resident evil and the umbrella cooperation.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Bizmagnet: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
Dereliction of duty is the prime goal of Nigerian politicians. That's why they are killing one another over it.

Get a blog or website for your companies, schools, businesses and churches today at an affordable price.

Check my profile for my contacts.
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by slickbak(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
Manage your break-up with EU while we manage our unity.

2 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by lordkush: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
they shoukd tell buhari to ibbey court orders too
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by hisgrace090: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2018
They'll be like, if we abandoned it what'll happen?
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Yankee101: 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
Fix your own house first.

The UK is groaning under Brexit and PM May might lose her job

Face your side first. We're in this rubbish because of how the colonials, same UK, structured Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Thisis2raw(m): 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by zlantanfan: 3:02pm On Nov 20, 2018
Firefire:
Buhary be warned. Any attempt to rig the coming election will be strongly resisted by the world powers.

“We are strongly in support of a process that will be free, fair and credible, and that (which would) lead to the right outcome for Nigeria”

lol, same UK and USA world power that has been crying cyber terrorism from Russia.

Same world power USA that Russia continuously interferes in its election
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Enemyofpeace: 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
Duty wey dem don abandon tey tey
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2018
leave us alone with our problems. that was how America helped campaign for a certain lifeless man and after he has won, they abandoned us to our fate . focus all your strength and good advice on getting the right brexit deal

3 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Firefire(m): 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2018
zlantanfan:
lol

any attempt by Buhary to rig will lead him to either his early grave or to ICC.
Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by Guyman02: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Jonathan lamented in his book about how Obama interfered in our elections, now UK is doing there own subtly.
I hope Putin sends a message to the British people during their next like he did in US against Clinton which the Democrats are still bitter about angry

2 Likes

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by zlantanfan: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Firefire:

any attempt by Buhary to rig will lead him to either his early grave or to ICC.
Their would be nothing like rigging taking the previous elections into context (which ICC hasn't faulted yet).

The issue here is how you guys trust a UK that is battling brexit and trump who is pulling USA out of every foreign nation issues.

Wailing go plenty

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by kumakunta: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Why should UK , USA be getting involved with our politics? Makes no sense for a sovereign state at all .

1 Like

Re: UK Advises Saraki, Dogara, Others Against dereliction Of Duty by SingleWahala(f): 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sidi Dauda Bage Emerges Emir Of Lafia / FG Increases ‘Hate Speech’ Fine From N500,000 To N5 Million / Yerima Persuades Senate To Support Underage Marriage In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.