Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Chelsea Legend Didier Drogba Confirms Retirement From Football Aged 40 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Legend Didier Drogba Confirms Retirement From Football Aged 40 (197 Views)

Victor Osimhen Finally Meets His Hero Didier Drogba After Ivory Coast Clash / "I Speak To Didier Drogba Daily, Warned Thierry Henry" - Romelu Lukaku / Carl Ikeme Announces His Retirement From Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Legend Didier Drogba Confirms Retirement From Football Aged 40 by Sportdab(m): 6:24am On Nov 22, 2018
Former Chelsea forward Didier Drogba has announced his retirement from playing football.

The Ivory Coast international scored 164 goals in 381 appearances over two spells with Chelsea, winning the Premier League four times, four FA Cups, two League Cups and the Champions League in 2012.

Drogba had been playing this season in the United States with Phoenix Rising, a second-tier club at which he is a co-owner.

However, The 40-year-old has now confirmed his retirement from football via his social media accounts.

He said: "When I think of the last 20 yearsof my professional career, looking at this picture can't make me more proud of what I've achieved as a player but most importantly how this journey has shaped me as a man.

"If anyone tells you your dreams are too big, just say thank you and work harder and smarter to turn them into reality.#alwaysbelieve

"I wanna thank all the players, managers, teams and fans that I have met and made this journey one of a kind!!!

"Also a huuuuge [sic] thank you and love to my family, my personal team for supporting me all my career during the ups and downs no matter what.

"Looking forward to the next chapter and hoping God will bless me as much as he did for my football career."

Drogba played for Le Mans and Guingamp before joining Marseille, who he left for Chelsea in 2004 for a then club-record £24million deal.

He left Chelsea to join Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua in the summer of 2012.

But six months later he moved on to Galatasaray in Turkey before returning to Stamford Bridge in July 2014.

Drogba scored 65 goals in 105 caps for the Ivory Coast, playing in three World Cups and being named African Footballer of the Year twice.

Source:>>http://www.mysportdab.com/2018/11/chelsea-legend-didier-drogba-confirms.html

cc Lalasticlala

Re: Chelsea Legend Didier Drogba Confirms Retirement From Football Aged 40 by jeffizy(m): 6:29am On Nov 22, 2018
A legend in the real sense of the word.

His time for Chelsea was the best of times. Exciting play and confidence in the final third.

"DRUG", You will be surely missed!

(1) (Reply)

England Vs Australia Live / AKHA Issues Arrest Warrant On Five Sacked Lawmakers / Football Gossip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.