Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Still On The Hijab Crisis. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Still On The Hijab Crisis. (435 Views)

The Hijab Is Not The Problem / Sister Kate: I Wear The Hijab Because My Backside Can Make Men Miss Heaven / "I'm Never Wearing The Hijab Again" Ex Muslim Girl To Her Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 9:22am On Nov 22, 2018
Hello,

Greetings to you all.

In the recent past, the UI hijab crisis has flooded our news outlets - online and offline. I've always been a patient follower of this. I still recall vividly a similar episode that played out in the law school.

I seldom make comments on religious matters; this is especially because of the intolerance style of most of its followers as evident by the myriads of insults and abuses that fly from end to end in threads in this section.

Oh well, today I'll break this code. Before I go on though, I'd like to indulge my readers to maintain sanity and decorum in the comments. Thank you.

A quick search on Google took me to this:

[b] "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful” [/b]

[al-Noor 24:31 . (Source: Quora.com).

In the above "scripture," the Quran advises "believing women" to wear hijab. This is a generally known truth. So, the question isn't whether Muslim women should wear hijab or not. But then, I ask: are there limits to which one can practice his beliefs?

Every nation has got its laws. Every citizen is subject to the established laws. Our Nigeria is a secular state. Our leaders have thought it wise to make laws that can accommodate the various religions we practice. However, I know of no law that bars private establishments - like schools - from making "sublaws" tailored to their principles and missions as far as such law does not negate the Constitution.

So, back to my original question (
are there limits to which one can practice his belief?). In my little thinking, I am of the opinion that indeed, there are limits. For example, I certainly would not allow a traditional worshiper make sacrifices to his god in my house (recall the Freedom of Religion clause in the Constitution). If I own a school today, I may not allow my Muslim female students come in dressed in the hijab. Mind you, this is just my opinion which, of course, we all are entitled to. In the same vane, if you have a company or something, you are free to make your laws AS FAR AS YOU DO NOT CONTRADICT THE OVERALL LAW OF THE LAND.

What then are the options of a Muslim parent? This is simple and clear. There are specialized schools all over Nigeria. There are Christian-styled schools and there are Islam-styled schools. If I were a Muslim parent and if I could not afford to have my daughters go out without the hijab, I'd transfer them to an Islam-styled school or to other private schools that would tolerate my religion.

To summarize my submission, I'd advise the concerned Muslim parents to consider moving their kids to other schools that can entertain their hijab. There's absolutely no need to stage protests that have repeatedly disrupted academic activities. Let's not bring our children into this religious war of supremacy. We must engage their minds with thoughts that would advance our science and technology if we are to catch up with other nations.

I stand for peace. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

cc: Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Ishilove.
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 7:40am On Nov 23, 2018
Fellow Nigerians, what do you think about this?
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 23, 2018
TONYE001:
Fellow Nigerians, what do you think about this?
Your assertion is good but many will not buy the idea.

1 Like

Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 11:03am On Nov 23, 2018
asuustrike1:

Your assertion is good but many will not buy the idea.

I agree with you. This is why this issue should be strongly debated by Nigerians (especially in the chambers). Everything must not fall to protests and violence. Most times, the path of peace is right before our eyes. It takes love and humility to identify and follow it.

Thanks for your comment. Have a nice day.
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 23, 2018
TONYE001:

I agree with you. This is why this issue should be strongly debated by Nigerians (especially in the chambers). Everything must not fall to protests and violence. Most times, the path of peace is right before our eyes. It takes love and humility to identify and follow it.

Thanks for your comment. Have a nice day.
Yea. I learnt the school in question is a privately own I don't know how true. There ways to go about this without constituting nuisance. Am disappointed in those staging the protest. They should have approach the law court instead of disrupting academic calendar with this madness
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by MrPresident1: 12:08pm On Nov 23, 2018
Ignorant muslims causing trouble. If Prophet Muhammed SAW had his child in that ISI school in Ibadan, he would conform to the school's regulations. If he wasn't comfortable, he would withdraw his child.

The ancestors will not sit by and watch what they fought for, what they bled for, destroyed by the shenanigans of some confirmed idiots.

All those warriors of the Kiriji war will not agree!
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 12:14pm On Nov 23, 2018
asuustrike1:

Yea. I learnt the school in question is a privately own I don't know how true. There ways to go about this without constituting nuisance. Am disappointed in those staging the protest. They should have approach the law court instead of disrupting academic calendar with this madness

Yes, it is a private school. If it were a public school, it would have been a different case.
Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 12:20pm On Nov 23, 2018
MrPresident1:
Ignorant muslims causing trouble. If Prophet Muhammed SAW had his child in that ISI school in Ibadan, he would conform to the school's regulations. If he wasn't comfortable, he would withdraw his child.

The ancestors will not sit by and watch what they fought for, what they bled, for destroyed by the shenanigans of some confirmed idiots.

All those warriors of the Kiriji war will not agree!

I agree with you. I'm sure the Prophet (SAW) would have handled this in a better way. Sadly, in most cases concerning religion, the followers tend to be more extreme than their leaders. This is rather sad.

On a lighter note, be easy on your comment, please.. wink

1 Like

Re: Still On The Hijab Crisis. by TONYE001(m): 7:36pm On Nov 23, 2018
This is a valid topic to discuss and enlighten ourselves. I really need your views on this, fellow Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Do humans really hear from God? / If Your Bishop Is Dangerously Wealthy And / Christmas Blessings: Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gift Workers #30 Million, S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.