Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Anguish As Fire Consumes 10 Houses In Calabar - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Anguish As Fire Consumes 10 Houses In Calabar (233 Views)

BREAKING: Fire Consumes Central Bank Office In Jos, Plateau State / 2 Die While Asleep As Heavy Flood Covers Cars And Houses In Benin (Pics) / Many Shops 'burnt To Ashes' As Fire Consumes Maiduguri Fish Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anguish As Fire Consumes 10 Houses In Calabar by OrientDailyNews: 3:39pm On Nov 24, 2018
Residents of Douglas Street in Calabar municipality of Cross River state capital are still in shock and anguish over the devastating fire that ravaged ten apartments in the area.

Orient Weekend gathered that the inferno razed the houses, consumed everything occupants toiled for, including certificates, household wares, equipment and appliances like television sets, chairs, beddings, clothing, kitchen utensils and many other materials.

It was gathered that the fire broke out at around 8 am on Wednesday and within minutes, had razed down everything on its path. The cause of the disaster could not be immediately ascer­tained but unconfirmed reports attributed it to electrical malfunc­tioning. Speaking, a victim of the disaster, Ekpenyong who emoted uncontrollably said, “How do I be­gin life now? I have lost everything I laboured for. After almost sixty years of my life and struggling hard to buy those things during very difficult moments, everything just went down the drain within few minutes.”

Ekpenyong, flanked by his wife, Arit, and three other children, called on the Cross River state government to come to their aid. According to him, “we do not even have where to put our heads, clothing or anything to fall back on. I cannot now imagine myself pack­ing to village or going to neighbours to beg for survival.”

Speaking on the cause of the inferno, an eyewitness, who did not want his name in print, said “some­one went to change the light, and mistakenly fixed it into the wrong cutout and when they brought power, it sparked and everywhere started burning.”

Ntui, another resident of the area, told reporters, “the incident started very fast and many apart­ments were gutted as occupants of other ones attempted to get their belongings out. Some couldn’t finish before the wildfire invaded and engulfed theirs too. It was a sad incident at this time of the year. I don’t know how they’ll cope as many have lost most of their valuable things.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/news/anguish-fire-consumes-houses-calabar/

lalasticlala seun mynd44

(1) (Reply)

Webtalk Is Right For You / Great Opportunities To Study And Work In Australia / How To Update Garmin Uconnect Maps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.