Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary (3432 Views)

Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary / Oxford Dictionary Adds 29 Nigerian Words, Expressions In January Updates / Oxford Dictionary Recognises IBERIBERISM As An English Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 6:26am On Nov 26, 2018
23 Difficult Words To Spell.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, here's a list of words easily misspelled

1. weird (wierd)
Breaking everyone’s favourite spelling rule – ‘i’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c’ – the word weird is, well, weird.

2. accommodate (acommodate, accomodate)
The easiest way to remember the two double letter pairings in accommodate is to remember that this word ‘accommodates’ a lot of letters.

3. handkerchief (hankerchief)
The lurking ‘d’ in handkerchief can be remembered by thinking about the fact that these squares of nose-blowing cloth fit in one’s hand. Don’t get confused by the shortened hanky! (Nor should you try adding a ‘d’ in there: handky is far from correct.)

4. indict (indite)
The silence ‘c’ in indict (and related words indictment, indictable, etc.) baffles lots of people, both in its spelling and its pronunciation.

5. cemetery (cemetary)
Though many are tempted, there is no ‘a’ in cemetery. You might contrast the word with graveyard, which has two ‘a’s.

6. conscience (conscence, conscious)
The first step is to avoid confusing conscience – a person’s moral sense of right and wrong (noun) – and conscious – aware and responding to one’s surroundings (adjective). Once you clear that hurdle, you need to make sure that ‘science’ makes an appearance in your spelling.

7. rhythm (rythm, rhythym, etc.)
This notorious word boasts only a single vowel – and ‘y’, at that! – plus a couple of ‘h’s running amok. The related word rhyme is only slightly easier.

8. playwright (playwrite)
Even though playwrights do write, the ‘wright’ in this word actually refers to a builder, as in similar words like shipwright. You can remember this by thinking of a playwright as someone who ‘builds’ a theatre experience.

9. embarrass (embarass, embaress)
This word unequivocally demonstrates that language has a sense of humour. Why else make the word embarrass embarrassingly difficult to spell?

10. millennium (millenium)
The incorrect spelling of millennium with only a single ‘n’ is very common, possibly because similar words, such as millenarian and millenary, follow this single ‘n’ pattern. When you’re talking about the ‘millennial’ generation, take to care to keep that second ‘n’ in there.

11. pharaoh (pharoh)
Given the world’s fascination with ancient Egypt, you’d think that the word for their rulers wouldn’t present such a problem, but the sneaky ‘ao’ in the second syllable is a tricky one.

12. liaison (liason)
Both liaison and liaise boast that tricky triple vowel, a gift from French.

13. convalesce (convalece)
The -sce ending in convalesce is a spelling difficulty that crops in several English words that have a Latin origin, including acquiesce, coalesce, and incandesce.

14. supersede (supercede)
Derived from the Latin word supersedere, this word is frequently misspelled as supercede thanks to the influence of words like accede and intercede.

15. ecstasy (ecstacy)
Ecstasy may turn to despair when you realize that you’ve assumed that the ‘c’ at the start of ecstasy makes a later reappearance.

16. Caribbean (Carribean, Caribean)
The Caribbean tropics may seem slightly less alluring once you realize how much trouble you have spelling this name.

17. harass (harrass)
While harass may have two different pronunciations, it doesn’t have two r’s!

18. maintenance (maintainence)
Although maintenance often implies the maintaining of something, the word does not have maintain in it.

19. pronunciation (pronounciation)
Even though the verb form of this word is pronounce, the noun – pronunciation – does not have that ‘o’ in the middle. Before writing the word out, you might try saying both pronunciation and pronounce out loud and hear the difference yourself.

20. Arctic (Artic)
Although the pronunciation without the ‘c’ sound is considered acceptable, the spelling still requires that the ‘c’ be present. (The same goes for Antarctica.)

21. occurred (ocurred, occured)
Make sure that you double both the ‘c’ and the ‘r’ when you use the past tense of occur! Many verbs ending in a single ‘r’ will take a double ‘r’ in the past tense, such as recur, blur, and refer.

22. recommend (reccommend, reccomend)
Another double-letter kerfuffle, recommend might seem as though it deserves a second ‘c’, but the word only has one.

23. deductible (deductable)
This word is one of many examples of -ibles and -ables that may easily be confused. Check out ‘Words ending in -able or -ible’ for help on figuring these.

PS: Register for the 2019 edition of the Campus Metro Spelling Bee at www.metrobee.com.ng

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by missioner(m): 6:45am On Nov 26, 2018
Spot on... Thanks OP
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by yenereal(m): 6:53am On Nov 26, 2018
Well thanks for the enlightenment. Personally, I've not seen anyone I've misspelt in there.
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Phenotech(m): 7:06am On Nov 26, 2018
Thanks
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 7:20am On Nov 26, 2018
yenereal:
Well thanks for the enlightenment. Personally, I've not seen anyone I've mispelt correctly in there.

Lol... How often do you spell ecstasy?

The word is so easy to misspell in every way grin grin grin
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by yenereal(m): 7:44am On Nov 26, 2018
I do a lot of typing. So sometimes, my computer autocorrect plus my android phone's autocorrect has been helpful. So that's how I got to avoid these mistakes.
Eazybay:

Lol... How often do you spell ecstasy?

The word is so easy to misspell in every way grin grin grin
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 8:00am On Nov 26, 2018
yenereal:
I do a lot of typing. So sometimes, my computer autocorrect plus my android phone's autocorrect has been helpful. So that's how I got to avoid these mistakes.

Lol... Ok I gerrit

1 Like

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by czarina(f): 9:25am On Nov 26, 2018
What of Quiet and Quite? I mix those up a lot and I'm sure several others do too.

1 Like

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by boss1310(m): 10:04am On Nov 26, 2018
if you ve been having difficulty sometimes with pronunciation and pronounciation come let's eat

2 Likes

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by ZACHIE: 10:18am On Nov 26, 2018
INDITE is good
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by wiseone28: 10:49am On Nov 26, 2018
Most people here like spelling...THEIR AS THIER
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 10:57am On Nov 26, 2018
wiseone28:
Most people here like spelling...THEIR AS THIER

grin grin grin
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 10:58am On Nov 26, 2018
boss1310:
if you ve been having difficulty sometimes with pronunciation and pronounciation come let's eat

I lost a bet in secondary school because of this. grin grin grin grin
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by mhizbel(f): 11:04am On Nov 26, 2018
Very useful... Thanks!
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by mytime24(f): 11:12am On Nov 26, 2018
Let me call our trending Mr spell tongue

I dey come cool
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by wiseone28: 11:21am On Nov 26, 2018
Eazybay:

grin grin grin
ARE YOU ONE OF THEM...THIER SPELLER?

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by kushercain: 11:30am On Nov 26, 2018
Separate
I always spell ur as s seperate
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by jesuisnaga: 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2018
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by mariadiamond: 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2018
WE DESIGN AND DEVELOP ALL TYPES AND KINDS OF WEBSITES, WEB APPS AND MOBILE APPS THAT ARE CUSTOM-MADE FOR YOUR BUSINESS, ORGANISATION OR BRAND

We have FULL-STACK Development professional team working at your service from our corporate office in Ikeja, Lagos

Features We will Deploy for Your Web App Software Project

== Secure SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
== 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Traffic)
== Free Domain for 1 Year
== Beautiful Crafted Website
== SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
== Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
== Logo Design for your Brand (in case you don’t have)
== Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
== Basic Website Maintenance for 2 Months for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!
== 2 Banner Designs to promote your brand…FOR FREE
== Unlimited Hosting Space

ARE YOU DEVELOPING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?

• Inventory System Software
• Ecommerce Website
• Hotel Management System Software
• Financial Institutions System Software
• School Management System Software/ School Portal
• Hospital Management System Software Development
• Airport/ Airline Booking Management System Software
• Multi-Level Marketing System Software
• Social Media Network Application
• Photo Sharing Web Application
• Catalog Web Application Site
• Forums
• Sport Betting Website

DONT Let Web Quacks Develop your web/mobile apps for your business

CONTACT US TO GET STARTED NOW!

Gets Started, NOW!

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 12:37pm On Nov 26, 2018
Lalasticlala oya o
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by falcon01: 1:12pm On Nov 26, 2018
are you sure that's not american and British spelling??
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by Eazybay(m): 1:39pm On Nov 26, 2018
falcon01:
are you sure that's not american and British spelling??

No it's not.
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by jessedaflow: 2:15pm On Nov 26, 2018
Well english is nt ours , the can do and undone i no blame dem, i wonder how sumone will nw come n tell me dat am nt getting the spelling of my mothers tongue..like ewedu(ewdu), amala(amla) the a is hidden or sumone frm the other side will tell me dat chinedu is nw(chnidu)
Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2018
Thanks op for d info, i really need to work more on getting these right
BTW who else finds the american way of spelling words like favor,color annoying and prefers the british favour or colour

1 Like

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 3:28pm On Nov 26, 2018
lisadiamond111:
WE DESIGN AND DEVELOP ALL TYPES AND KINDS OF WEBSITES, WEB APPS AND MOBILE APPS THAT ARE CUSTOM-MADE FOR YOUR BUSINESS, ORGANISATION OR BRAND

We have FULL-STACK Development professional team working at your service from our corporate office in Ikeja, Lagos

Features We will Deploy for Your Web App Software Project

== Secure SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
== 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Traffic)
== Free Domain for 1 Year
== Beautiful Crafted Website
== SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
== Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
== Logo Design for your Brand (in case you don’t have)
== Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
== Basic Website Maintenance for 2 Months for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!
== 2 Banner Designs to promote your brand…FOR FREE
== Unlimited Hosting Space

ARE YOU DEVELOPING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?

• Inventory System Software
• Ecommerce Website
• Hotel Management System Software
• Financial Institutions System Software
• School Management System Software/ School Portal
• Hospital Management System Software Development
• Airport/ Airline Booking Management System Software
• Multi-Level Marketing System Software
• Social Media Network Application
• Photo Sharing Web Application
• Catalog Web Application Site
• Forums
• Sport Betting Website

CONTACT US TO GET STARTED NOW!

Gets Started, NOW!

U guys are becoming a nuisiance on nairaland, upon all the services u claim to offer, u cant afford a cheap nairaland advert space, SHAME!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here's 23 Easily Misspelled Words According To Oxford Dictionary by falcon01: 5:46pm On Nov 26, 2018
Eazybay:

No it's not.
arhhh. then how pathetic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Got My Certificate The Day I Defended My Thesis In Germany / UNILAG 2009/2010 Admission Registration Procedure For Freshmen / Off-campus Student Job: Two Naija Students Face Deportation From Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.