Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,919 members, 7,952,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:19 PM

Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions (14559 Views)

Patients Groan Over Rising Cost Of Drugs / Japa: Reps Raise Alarm As LUTH Shuts Down 5 Wards Over Doctors’ Shortage / LASG Raises Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Run-Away COVID-19 Positive Patients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by WaffenSS(m): 9:22am On Nov 27, 2018
I've never heard that a phone sparks when ringing.

Where did that man get that false info?
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by SirJohn(m): 9:28am On Nov 27, 2018
Most LPG gas tanks are designed not to explode, good quality LPG bottles are fitted with a safety relief valve to immediately release pressure from the tank when its pressure rises due to heat; I am yet to see a damaged LPG container due to explosion. in fact they can almost never explode,

Yes that's true.

Most cooking gas explosions are as a result of leaked gas into an unventilated space which ignites when fire is introduced.

My advice therefore is, make sure you use a good quality cylinder and If you keep your gas cylinders indoors, ensure the space is well ventilated.

2 Likes

Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by izy4all(m): 10:29am On Nov 27, 2018
whirlwind7:
The reason is very simple: Zero regulation.

Let me explain a bit.
I've lived in a few oversea countries. In those places where domestic cooking gas isn't piped into residential houses from a central mains, there is a regulated supply of filled gas tanks/cylinders of various sizes. The gas peddler brings a filled and sealed tank to your house, and you exchange it with your empty tank of similar size.
Now, those tanks have dates printed on them. Once the date is due, the tanks are taken to the gas company for maintenance/repair/refurbishing. They are checked for signs of rusts, leakages, or weakness. Any fault detected is worked on, standard pressure tests are then conducted to certify them OK. Next, the cylinder gets a fresh coat of paint, and a new due date is printed on it. After which, it gets released into circulation. This keeps accidental explosion to a bare minimum. Those checks are usually routinely done every 2 years on every single gas cylinder.
Now, compare that with Nigeria where a gas cylinder never gets checked even 10 or more years after continuous use! Isn't that a recipe for disaster? You buy your own tank, and no inspection work gets done on it.
Secondly, local welders are now fabricating gas tanks without the specified standard metal alloy or thickness. Then to paint it and sell it to the public....just like that!
Tell me why there won't be frequent explosions, especially now that more and more folks are switching to LPG.
Honestly, thats a country where lives are valued. here in Nigeria we live like animals and the so Government don't care
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by izy4all(m): 10:32am On Nov 27, 2018
pedrilo:
mehn i am guilty of most tins highlighted here.
gas cylinder inside kitchen
refueling gen while running usin fone touchlight
keep fuel in my bathing room
leaving sockets, fan n lights on while sleeping n at work
God help me make the necessary changes
pray make devil no remember you one day...lol
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 27, 2018
Tushkito:
What about the gas cylinder which is attached to a burner that students use? should people with such type of gas cooker leave their kitchen and carry their gas outside to cook?
Safety First
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by harriet412(f): 10:44am On Nov 27, 2018
pedrilo:

Hian, u don't like urself..Do and make necessary changes o
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by Amicable24: 11:33am On Nov 27, 2018
whirlwind7:
The reason is very simple: Zero regulation.

Let me explain a bit.
I've lived in a few oversea countries. In those places where domestic cooking gas isn't piped into residential houses from a central mains, there is a regulated supply of filled gas tanks/cylinders of various sizes. The gas peddler brings a filled and sealed tank to your house, and you exchange it with your empty tank of similar size.
Now, those tanks have dates printed on them. Once the date is due, the tanks are taken to the gas company for maintenance/repair/refurbishing. They are checked for signs of rusts, leakages, or weakness. Any fault detected is worked on, standard pressure tests are then conducted to certify them OK. Next, the cylinder gets a fresh coat of paint, and a new due date is printed on it. After which, it gets released into circulation. This keeps accidental explosion to a bare minimum. Those checks are usually routinely done every 2 years on every single gas cylinder.
Now, compare that with Nigeria where a gas cylinder never gets checked even 10 or more years after continuous use! Isn't that a recipe for disaster? You buy your own tank, and no inspection work gets done on it.
Secondly, local welders are now fabricating gas tanks without the specified standard metal alloy or thickness. Then to paint it and sell it to the public....just like that!
Tell me why there won't be frequent explosions, especially now that more and more folks are switching to LPG.

This is so true.. Thank you for the in-depth analysis.. Nigeria still has a long way to go.. Our leaders are less concerned about our plight.. In all, God got our backs kiss
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by Amicable24: 11:40am On Nov 27, 2018
pedrilo:

Ah!! This thread is for you nah embarassed embarassed Oya take correction sharparly undecided undecided
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by maasoap(m): 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2018
pascal558:
accidents are not planned, though some happen due to carelessness !!! #SWEEPOFFRITUALISTS

And that's what this thread is all about.
Re: Experts Raise Alarm Over Rising Cases Of Cooking Gas Explosions by maasoap(m): 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2018
WaffenSS:
I've never heard that a phone sparks when ringing.

Where did that man get that false info?

With the petrol, not new. The man wasn't relating phone ringing/vibration to gas.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Whats Staph Called In Yoruba Language / 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed / Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.