Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,752 members, 7,831,410 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 (2512 Views)

MTN To Launch 5G Network In 7 States In Nigeria / Apple Set To Release The Iphone 13 In Nigeria / Infinix Hot 7 And Infinix Hot 7 Pro Specs : Upcoming Infinix Smartphone In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by askifa1: 11:17am On Nov 27, 2018

The third most popular mobile phone OS is on its way to Nigeria and it’s coming through MTN initiative
Since 2017, feature phone has taken back to its feet following the rise of the smartphone. If you ever enjoyed using one in the old times, then you wouldn’t mind having another one for at least, a second phone. To make this option a lot interesting, what about a feature phone with a smart OS like the ‘KaiOS’ that offers a touch of smart features just like you have it on your Android phones.

While several consumer brands have been grappling to take advantage of this anomaly for the mass market. MTN, the South African based mobile network has decided not to sleep on the mater, hence, has promised to ship in new set of feature phones that will be carriers of the KaiOS, and guess what, the mobile phone would be sold for a very affordable rate, I mean ” Chinkini amount” as low as #8,976. Before now, the network brand has fought aggressively to ensure that more Africans are able to board the smartphone train, however, they might not have achieved a great result so far, and that’s one of the many reasons why they have opted for a second-hand option which is the feature phones with the KaiOS.

This sudden shift in strategy from smartphone to feature phones is thanks, in no small part, to the rise of KaiOS, a relatively new mobile operating system (OS) that brings some of the best parts of the smartphone experience, 4G connectivity, virtual assistants, GPS, apps, to feature phones without compromising on the optimum cost and battery efficiency that has made them popular among low-income earners. No mean feat, this innovation has seen KaiOS silently become the world’s third most popular mobile OS, behind Android and iOS, in the space of barely a year since in it launched in 2017.

While the KaiOS may sound really strange to some people, its believed to have overtaken Apple iOS is some locations like in India, to become the second most recognizable OS after AndroidOS. It’s no wonder that MTN is looking to replicate that success by being technically the first brand to bring KaiOS to Africa. It will not be attempting this alone. Hardware partnerships have already been sealed with Chinese companies like China Mobile and Unisoc to manufacture the phone’s hardware and chipset.

SOURCE >>> https://www.askifa.ng/mtns-%E2%82%A69000-smartphone-will-bring-kaios-to-africa/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by kestolove95(m): 11:25am On Nov 27, 2018
Nothing from Mtn dey good

1 Like

Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by kekilika: 11:28am On Nov 27, 2018
Nice one by MTN. I can't wait to buy and see it's functionality.
However, KaiOS is already in Nigeria. The Nokia Banana Phone - Nokia 8110 uses it. But it is very expensive. It goes for N23k.
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by zolajpower: 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2018
kestolove95:
I swear ,na agbano bi there phone ,u will get hypertensive from buying there phone .

1 Like

Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by zolajpower: 3:45pm On Nov 27, 2018
kestolove95:
I swear ,na agbano bi there phone ,u will get hypertensive from buying there phone . grin
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by Urhobokwaleboy(m): 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2018
A nigga once said:mtn that gives with right and takes with left..

Mtwee i'll pass...

Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by dadebayo1(m): 7:30pm On Nov 27, 2018
Reminds me of Sendo mtn generations.... grin
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by lordraiden(m): 7:33pm On Nov 27, 2018
Nigeria dumping site...dey want to dump another one
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 27, 2018
dadebayo1:
Reminds me of Sendo mtn generations.... grin
Hmmm!
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by DopeTech(m): 10:53pm On Nov 27, 2018
askifa1:

The third most popular mobile phone OS is on its way to Nigeria and it’s coming through MTN initiative
Since 2017, feature phone has taken back to its feet following the rise of the smartphone. If you ever enjoyed using one in the old times, then you wouldn’t mind having another one for at least, a second phone. To make this option a lot interesting, what about a feature phone with a smart OS like the ‘KaiOS’ that offers a touch of smart features just like you have it on your Android phones.

While several consumer brands have been grappling to take advantage of this anomaly for the mass market. MTN, the South African based mobile network has decided not to sleep on the mater, hence, has promised to ship in new set of feature phones that will be carriers of the KaiOS, and guess what, the mobile phone would be sold for a very affordable rate, I mean ” Chinkini amount” as low as #8,976. Before now, the network brand has fought aggressively to ensure that more Africans are able to board the smartphone train, however, they might not have achieved a great result so far, and that’s one of the many reasons why they have opted for a second-hand option which is the feature phones with the KaiOS.

This sudden shift in strategy from smartphone to feature phones is thanks, in no small part, to the rise of KaiOS, a relatively new mobile operating system (OS) that brings some of the best parts of the smartphone experience, 4G connectivity, virtual assistants, GPS, apps, to feature phones without compromising on the optimum cost and battery efficiency that has made them popular among low-income earners. No mean feat, this innovation has seen KaiOS silently become the world’s third most popular mobile OS, behind Android and iOS, in the space of barely a year since in it launched in 2017.

While the KaiOS may sound really strange to some people, its believed to have overtaken Apple iOS is some locations like in India, to become the second most recognizable OS after AndroidOS. It’s no wonder that MTN is looking to replicate that success by being technically the first brand to bring KaiOS to Africa. It will not be attempting this alone. Hardware partnerships have already been sealed with Chinese companies like China Mobile and Unisoc to manufacture the phone’s hardware and chipset.

SOURCE >>> https://www.askifa.ng/mtns-%E2%82%A69000-smartphone-will-bring-kaios-to-africa/

Great
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by femi4: 1:03am On Nov 28, 2018
Sendo reloaded ....it ll be restricted to their network
Re: MTN To Release The Cheapest Smartphone In Nigeria At A Cost Of N9,000 by seunlayi(m): 4:40am On Nov 28, 2018
I m sure it will come with free gig when they start setting it = less than 9k

(1) (Reply)

Can I Use Spectranet Sim On My Phone / Xsmax With A Broken Screen For Sale / Samsung Galaxy S10 For Sale SOLD!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.