Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Breaking: Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Buhari's Nominee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Buhari's Nominee (522 Views)

₦‎3.7 Trillion Budget Padding Claim: Senate Suspends Ningi For Three Months / Senate Confirms Yahaya Muhammad, Buhari Nominee ‘Started’ School Before Birth / Muhammad Nami Biography, 11 Things To Know About Buhari’s Nominee To Head FIRS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Buhari's Nominee by Thefresh: 3:27pm On Nov 27, 2018
Source: https://www.freshreporters.com/2018/11/breaking-senate-suspends-confirmation.html

The confirmation of Olanipekun Olukoyede as secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been suspended by the Senate.

A member of the Senate committee on anti-corruption and financial crimes, Isa Misau had earlier accused the committee of preparing a report without the consent of others, Premium Times reports.

It was gathered that the lawmaker complained that the endorsement page report was signed by only three out of eight members of the committee.

He said: “Let’s step down this report so that we, the members of the committee can go through it. Because I participated actively in the screening of these nominees and there are some of them that are not competent to hold that office.

“I’m just seeing this report. It has not been sent to my office and I was part of the screening and during the screening, I made objections on certain people that are not supposed to hold that office to be screened. It is necessary for us to look at the report."

The chairman of the committee, Chukwuka Utazi, who urged the Senate to confirm Olukoyede, said: “Most of the committee members are busy with oversight. We wrote every member to be in attendance. What Misau attended was the ICPC screening. He attended and participated but he did not attend this one.

“We gave the notice to everybody to attend; and at the end of the day, the number of people who attended, formed quorum and took the decision on behalf of the committee (signed)."

Utazi was thereafter asked by the Senate president, Bukola Saraki, to meet with his members later in the day, conclude and re-present the report on Wednesday, November 28.

It was previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari nominated Olanipekun Olukoyede, the chief of staff to the chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, as the secretary of the commission.

The president in a letter to the Senate requested that Olukoyede's nomination be confirmed as secretary of the EFCC.

The letter dated September 10, 2018, and addressed to Senate president, Bukola Saraki, asked that Olukoyede be confirmed in accordance with Section 2 of the EFCC Act.

Source: https://www.freshreporters.com/2018/11/breaking-senate-suspends-confirmation.html

1 Share

Re: Breaking: Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Buhari's Nominee by Sirjamo: 3:37pm On Nov 27, 2018
The same Misau that can hardly string two words together to make a sentence is declaring someone unfit for a post!

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Buhari's Nominee by Thefresh: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2018
Thefresh:

The confirmation of Olanipekun Olukoyede as secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been suspended by the Senate.

A member of the Senate committee on anti-corruption and financial crimes, Isa Misau had earlier accused the committee of preparing a report without the consent of others, Premium Times reports.

It was gathered that the lawmaker complained that the endorsement page report was signed by only three out of eight members of the committee.

He said: “Let’s step down this report so that we, the members of the committee can go through it. Because I participated actively in the screening of these nominees and there are some of them that are not competent to hold that office.

“I’m just seeing this report. It has not been sent to my office and I was part of the screening and during the screening, I made objections on certain people that are not supposed to hold that office to be screened. It is necessary for us to look at the report."

The chairman of the committee, Chukwuka Utazi, who urged the Senate to confirm Olukoyede, said: “Most of the committee members are busy with oversight. We wrote every member to be in attendance. What Misau attended was the ICPC screening. He attended and participated but he did not attend this one.

“We gave the notice to everybody to attend; and at the end of the day, the number of people who attended, formed quorum and took the decision on behalf of the committee (signed)."

Utazi was thereafter asked by the Senate president, Bukola Saraki, to meet with his members later in the day, conclude and re-present the report on Wednesday, November 28.

It was previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari nominated Olanipekun Olukoyede, the chief of staff to the chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, as the secretary of the commission.

The president in a letter to the Senate requested that Olukoyede's nomination be confirmed as secretary of the EFCC.

The letter dated September 10, 2018, and addressed to Senate president, Bukola Saraki, asked that Olukoyede be confirmed in accordance with Section 2 of the EFCC Act.

(1) (Reply)

The Buhari Cloning Question / Buhari Gov't Lied: Qatar Airways - We Were Never Interested In Nigeria Air / Just In: Local Government Secretariat, House Of Chairman Burnt Down In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.