Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie (929 Views)

Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by EbukaHades10(m): 12:55am On Nov 28, 2018
Popular Nigerian author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie , has aimed another thinly-veiled dig at the masculine gender, after she said that she "feels sorry for men because they can't have the experience of giving birth."

The well celebrated author, who is known for stirring controversies with her viewpoints, made this known during a recent interview with online entertainment publication, Vulture, where she spoke about how motherhood has affected her writing career.

She said becoming a mother opened up "a new emotional plane" that has contributed to her art positively.

She said: "I used to think I wouldn't be a good mother because I was so dedicated to my art,"

"I said to myself, I have nephews and nieces who I adore, and I helped raise them, so those will be my children. That's what I thought for a long time, because I felt that I couldn't be true to both my art and my child.

"Getting older. I like to joke and say that you're ready [to have a child] when your body isn't ready, and when your body is ready, you're not mentally ready.

"I guess you have the best eggs when you're, like, 22, but at 22 you don't even know yourself.

"Then when you're 38 and know yourself, your eggs are not the best quality. Anyway, we'll talk about eggs another time."

"But my baby happened, and it's important to talk honestly about this, because having her changed a lot," she said.
"Having a child gets in the way of writing. It does. You can't own your time the way you used to.

"But the other thing that motherhood does - and I kind of feel sorry for men that they can't have this - is open up a new emotional plane that can feed your art."

Her statement also comes barely less than a month after she set Twitter users against each other after she shared one of her personal views and "at that time," she said she has a problem with men holding doors for women.

Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by addicted268(f): 3:48am On Nov 28, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Popular Nigerian author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie , has aimed another thinly-veiled dig at the masculine gender, after she said that she "feels sorry for men because they can't have the experience of giving birth."

The well celebrated author, who is known for stirring controversies with her viewpoints, made this known during a recent interview with online entertainment publication, Vulture, where she spoke about how motherhood has affected her writing career.

She said becoming a mother opened up "a new emotional plane" that has contributed to her art positively.

She said: "I used to think I wouldn't be a good mother because I was so dedicated to my art,"

"I said to myself, I have nephews and nieces who I adore, and I helped raise them, so those will be my children. That's what I thought for a long time, because I felt that I couldn't be true to both my art and my child.

"Getting older. I like to joke and say that you're ready [to have a child] when your body isn't ready, and when your body is ready, you're not mentally ready.

"I guess you have the best eggs when you're, like, 22, but at 22 you don't even know yourself.

"Then when you're 38 and know yourself, your eggs are not the best quality. Anyway, we'll talk about eggs another time."

"But my baby happened, and it's important to talk honestly about this, because having her changed a lot," she said.
"Having a child gets in the way of writing. It does. You can't own your time the way you used to.

"But the other thing that motherhood does - and I kind of feel sorry for men that they can't have this - is open up a new emotional plane that can feed your art."

Her statement also comes barely less than a month after she set Twitter users against each other after she shared one of her personal views and "at that time," she said she has a problem with men holding doors for women.
Ok
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by IamD18: 4:09am On Nov 28, 2018
Not having babies is one of the major reasons why most ladies keep wishing to be men.

1 Like

Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by nnamdibig(m): 5:52am On Nov 28, 2018
Now she is lying.
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by Kelgabriel5(m): 8:28am On Nov 28, 2018
Outside literature, this lady is just stupid, can't she leave guys out of it, and she married a guy

1 Like

Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by KanwuliaExtra: 8:37am On Nov 28, 2018
Over to the NL chauvinistic misogynists!
Food is ever ready. grin

This wan na XMAS bonus. . . . Una don taya to check her womb? She don born o. grin
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
Over to the NL chauvinistic misogynists!
Food is ever ready. grin

This wan na XMAS bonus. . . . Una don taya to check her womb? She don born o. grin

So, you believe anybody who dismissed the crap she just spewed is a misogynist?
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2018
I won’t lie, sometimes I think this lady takes her feminism stance too far.
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by dominique(f): 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2018
But the other thing that motherhood does - and I kind of feel sorry for men that they can't have this - is open up a new emotional plane that can feed your art."

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what she said. She's absolutely right, having a baby changes a lot of things about you. Men will never understand this as they will never experience it
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by KanwuliaExtra: 2:38am On Nov 29, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, you believe anybody who dismissed the crap she just spewed is a misogynist?

Yes! kiss
Because she is entitled to her opinion which should be respected! cool
Any time she writes from her perspective, people get unnecessarily excited.

Especially men.
Everyone has an opinion, if you disagree move on.
Simple. kiss

1 Like

Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by Thobiy(m): 3:55am On Nov 29, 2018
They still require men to fertilize the egg, we all need each other
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by legenddimex(m): 6:15am On Nov 29, 2018
shocked
She is becoming a nuisance already.
she needs Aboki uncircumcised preek to reset her Brain back to factory settings.
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:43am On Nov 29, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:

Yes! kiss
Because she is entitled to her opinion which should be respected! cool
Any time she writes from her perspective, people get unnecessarily excited.

Especially men.
Everyone has an opinion, if you disagree move on.
Simple. kiss

The men are also putting their opinions which they are entitled to.
She too disses other people's opinions
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2018
Saffi:
I won’t lie, sometimes I think this lady takes her feminism stance too far.
shocked
Saff is saying this. I'm I dreaming? shocked shocked
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by KanwuliaExtra: 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

The men are also putting their opinions which they are entitled to.
She too disses other people's opinions

I disagree.
Men diss her and not the other way round.
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:38pm On Nov 29, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:

I disagree.
Men diss her and not the other way round.

She disses men a lot and call it fighting for women.
All her male characters in her novel are messed lots.
She deserves the dissing.
Her feminism is tacky, if she is actually feminist and not just a man hater
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by KanwuliaExtra: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

She disses men a lot and call it fighting for women.
All her male characters in her novel are messed lots.
She deserves the dissing.
Her feminism is tacky, if she is actually feminist and not just a man hater

Your opinion and entitlement.
Her experiences can never be appreciated from a man’s viewpoint.
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:

Your opinion and entitlement.
Her experiences can never be appreciated from a man’s viewpoint.

Neither can she she appreciate anything from a man's viewpoint, so she should stop dragging men in everything she does
Re: I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie by KanwuliaExtra: 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Neither can she she appreciate anything from a man's viewpoint, so she should stop dragging men in everything she does

Amen. . . . Life goes on! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Who Does The Cap Fit? / The Great Hunt (#1, The Hunt Series) - - Now A Best Seller / "Learning To Be Silent" An Interesting Story By Ebiowei Goddey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.