Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Welcome To The BAR 'lawyers' - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Welcome To The BAR 'lawyers' (229 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Seen Marching Their Herds At The Bar Beach In Lagos / Infinix S4 : The Bar Is Up / Father Christmas Drinking Beer At A Bar In Ibadan, Oyo State. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To The BAR 'lawyers' by Opeyemisamuel06(m): 12:43am On Nov 29, 2018
Welcome to the BAR 'Lawyers'

Pelumi Olajengbesi Esq.

A journey of a thousand miles, they say, begins with a step. This words hold true in the life of lawyers. The arduous process of studying for a law degree and putting up with the rigors of Law School would try anyone and has sadly seen some students get dropped. It is a thoroughly selective process that seeks to prepare a refined few for the Bar and Bench.

This week as we celebrate new entrants to the Bar, I want to extend my congratulations to everyone who have successfully passed the bar finals. Welcome to the folds of a truly prestigious profession. Your dedication and effort, coupled with each choices made in your lifetime has led to this point. It is a moment to thoroughly enjoy and bask in for it sets the tone for a future that can be fulfilling.

I am profoundly proud of our friends ( now colleagues at the Bar ) who are living their dreams and are at the defining moment of what I hope would be a prosperous time in the service of humanity. For this, after all, is what being a lawyer entails - service through diligence, honesty and trust; for to apply one’s self to the course of justice is no mean dedication.

I would implore you not to lose yourselves in the moment for in the next few weeks and months you will be inundated with the harsh reality that your journey has only just begun. The race is not for the swift but for the smart. Work hard less, work smart more. Be diligent and attentive for learning moments in your career.

You may find no roses in the field of employment in the legal profession. The competition is stiff, the work hours and exigencies will test your resolve but you must never waver in the quality of your service delivery. Some of you may not get employed as fast you’d prefer, those who do may thumb their noses up at the stipends received as salary. Yes, stipends.

Do not be dismayed by a salary of N40,000 or less. It is the harsh reality. Juxtaposed with the cost of gaining your degree and legal license, one may be forgiven to feel offended by such a remuneration. Yet you must persevere. Create a work ethic that sharpens your practice, absolve knowledge and constantly improve in your practice. It is when fortunes look most dire that you must not quit. The big-time lawyers you see and admire today once trudged through pecuniary pays to reach great heights. Be humble, be patient.

In all, never lose sight of your responsibility to justice; a fragile but resilient cause that you must take up especially on the behalf of those disadvantaged by status, funds or age.

By all means, make merry now, you’ve earned the respite from impossible reading hours, voluminous books and fiery lecturers. Congrats ! There are even bigger books ahead, ridiculous work hours and, sometimes, annoying clients. Do not lose heart, stay focused. It gets easier eventually.

Again, please receive my warmest regards and expression of happiness for the realization of your dreams today. I hope your careers take the right turn.

God Bless.

Pelumi Olajengbesi Esq., is the Lead Partner at Pelumi Olajengbesi & Co. Law Corridor.

(1) (Reply)

Blackberry Priv Or Nokia 6 Needed Urgently For Sale Or Swap. / The Untold Truth / Become A Distributor On Sancoj Platform Without Paying Any Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.