Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau (5645 Views)

Sugarcane Seller Using POS For His Business - Photos / New Naira: Racketeering Booms In Lagos, Abuja, Anambra / How Toxic E-waste From High-income Countries Booms In Nigerian Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by mediaNGR: 7:21am On Nov 29, 2018
About six youth age 16 to 23 years parked their wheelbarrows containing peeled bundles of sugarcanes along Katako Junction in Jos North local government area of Plateau state.
That’s their usual place of assemblage after they come back from sugarcane market in Farin Gada before they disperse to hawk the cane from street to street in the city of Jos.

On the wheelbarrows the sugarcane cut to size are arranged on the plank and tighten with black rubber bands in order to keep them together when the wheelbarrow was in motion. Each piece is sold for between N20 to N100, defending on the size.
The sugarcane sellers are all over the placwe along major roads, football fields, viewing centres and recreational centres among others places in the city.
Sugarcane is a source of sugar, which is obtained from its sweet sap.
These sellers as Daily Trust confirmed came to Jos for sugarcane business from neighbouring Bauchi, Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states.
According to them one can start selling sugarcane in Jos if he has a minimum capital of N1, 400 after he gets wheelbarrow, plank to place on the wheelbarrow, rubber bands, bottle for spraying water on the sugarcane to prevent it from drying and a big white nylon for covering the sugarcane from flies.
The sellers mostly farmers are in the business to enable them get money to buy farm inputs for the next farming season, while others engage in the business to cater for their immediate needs.
Source noticed that the sugarcane sellers who usually arrive in Jos after harvesting their crops have now been experiencing a sales boom.
Daily Trust reporter, who visited the sugarcane market at Farin Gada and Kwanar Shagari both in Jos North Local Government Area observed that the dealers are making brisk business.
The Chairman of the sugarcane dealers in Farin Gada Market, Zaharaddeen Sani said the trade has provided a source of livelihood to hundreds of youths.
“Though it is seasonal, but the business is indeed a good and profitable venture because I make a living out of it,” he said.
Sani sold between 10 and 20 bundles of sugarcane daily, selling each bundle at the cost N1, 700.
Yusuf Ado, 17 who came from Wudil town of Kano state started the business last two years, but was able to take care of his needs and even went home with the sum of N100, 000 last year.
“I like the sugarcane business,” Ado said, “it is profitable, like today I bought one bundle of sugarcane at the sum of N1, 500, but out of it I can make extra N1, 600 as profit, last year I went home with sum of N100, 000, this excluding feeding and my transport fares,” he said.
Another sugarcane seller, Rilwanu Danyaya, 18, from Jigawa state was attracted to venture after he realized that the business is lucrative.
“The business is lucrative, if you are not lazy you would make a lot of money, like me on a normal day I do make N1, 300 or even more,” he said.
Danyaya who, after finishing primary school didn’t further his education, averagely makes a profit of N1, 000 and above from sugarcane sales daily.
He said, “My parents are poor and I cannot afford to go to school. I told myself I wouldn’t beg, now I can take care of my immediate needs and even help my parents.
“But if I would get a sponsor I want to further my education, I have a dream of becoming a medical doctor,” he said.
Magaji Hassan, 22 from Kaduna state, who started the sugarcane business three years ago, learnt the business from his elder brother who now abandoned the business to drive a taxi after he was able to save money and buy Vectra car.
“I started the business after I finished secondary school education, my elder brother introduced me to the business, he gave me his wheelbarrow and other things, and I am now enjoying the business.”
Press also gathered that most of the sugarcane traders are either out of school or have abandoned school as result of poverty. Many say they would go back to school they raise enough money or find sponsors

https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/11/sugarcane-business-booms-in-plateau.html

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Alejob: 7:25am On Nov 29, 2018
Plateau and Benue are hard working people!

10 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Bizmagnet: 7:26am On Nov 29, 2018
We should work harder into large production so that we can start exporting them.

Do you want quality blogs, websites or softwares for your ideas, companies, schools, churches and businesses?

WhatsApp me today on: 081 two three four 199 six seven
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Awesomefred32(m): 7:26am On Nov 29, 2018
Okay next post please
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 29, 2018
Everything is booming.

Wailers are wailing (may their wailing never cease till 2023).

We are getting there gradually.

God bless Nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by odeade1(m): 7:27am On Nov 29, 2018
Good
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by baylord101(m): 7:27am On Nov 29, 2018
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by adrian3000(m): 7:28am On Nov 29, 2018
Alejob:
shocked

not smart working enough

1 Like

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Emmzy201(m): 7:29am On Nov 29, 2018
The sugar cane under my pants is sweeter than this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by wencesolo(m): 7:30am On Nov 29, 2018
Poverty is indeed a hallmark of the Northerners, i was running to see a multimillion naira deals. Only to waste energy to see someone boasting of making 100k for an entire year.

7 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by tomdon(m): 7:32am On Nov 29, 2018
Lol
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Alepa(m): 7:34am On Nov 29, 2018
adrian3000:

shocked

not smart working enough
You that is working smart . Who knows you ?
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by dam2000(m): 7:35am On Nov 29, 2018
If u remove the sugar
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Pavore9: 7:40am On Nov 29, 2018
One can further add value to it by selling the extracted juice as there are simple machines one can use to set up a juice shop. I don't feel comfortable chewing it so I always opt for freshly juiced ones with a mix of ginger.

6 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by moscobabs(m): 7:40am On Nov 29, 2018
One day my cucumber and melons business will boom

12 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Nasir123(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2018
wencesolo:
Poverty is indeed a hallmark of the Northerners, i was running to see a multimillion naira deals. Only to waste energy to see someone boasting of making 100k for an entire year.

Spit! on this comment.

Infact ,Spit! again.

3 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Gkay1(m): 7:47am On Nov 29, 2018
discover your talent by any means
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by MexxIT(m): 7:49am On Nov 29, 2018
Was there a time wen Sugar cane production wasn't booming? Sugarcane sellers have always been selling sugarcane so I don't understand how d boom came about
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by wink2015(m): 7:49am On Nov 29, 2018
About six youth age 16 to 23 years parked their wheelbarrows containing peeled bundles of sugarcanes along Katako Junction in Jos North local government area of Plateau state.
That’s their usual place of assemblage after they come back from sugarcane market in Farin Gada before they disperse to hawk the cane from street to street in the city of Jos.

On the wheelbarrows the sugarcane cut to size are arranged on the plank and tighten with black rubber bands in order to keep them together when the wheelbarrow was in motion. Each piece is sold for between N20 to N100, defending on the size.
The sugarcane sellers are all over the placwe along major roads, football fields, viewing centres and recreational centres among others places in the city.
Sugarcane is a source of sugar, which is obtained from its sweet sap.
These sellers as Daily Trust confirmed came to Jos for sugarcane business from neighbouring Bauchi, Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states.
According to them one can start selling sugarcane in Jos if he has a minimum capital of N1, 400 after he gets wheelbarrow, plank to place on the wheelbarrow, rubber bands, bottle for spraying water on the sugarcane to prevent it from drying and a big white nylon for covering the sugarcane from flies.
The sellers mostly farmers are in the business to enable them get money to buy farm inputs for the next farming season, while others engage in the business to cater for their immediate needs.
Source noticed that the sugarcane sellers who usually arrive in Jos after harvesting their crops have now been experiencing a sales boom.
Daily Trust reporter, who visited the sugarcane market at Farin Gada and Kwanar Shagari both in Jos North Local Government Area observed that the dealers are making brisk business.
The Chairman of the sugarcane dealers in Farin Gada Market, Zaharaddeen Sani said the trade has provided a source of livelihood to hundreds of youths.
“Though it is seasonal, but the business is indeed a good and profitable venture because I make a living out of it,” he said.
Sani sold between 10 and 20 bundles of sugarcane daily, selling each bundle at the cost N1, 700.
Yusuf Ado, 17 who came from Wudil town of Kano state started the business last two years, but was able to take care of his needs and even went home with the sum of N100, 000 last year.
“I like the sugarcane business,” Ado said, “it is profitable, like today I bought one bundle of sugarcane at the sum of N1, 500, but out of it I can make extra N1, 600 as profit, last year I went home with sum of N100, 000, this excluding feeding and my transport fares,” he said.
Another sugarcane seller, Rilwanu Danyaya, 18, from Jigawa state was attracted to venture after he realized that the business is lucrative.
“The business is lucrative, if you are not lazy you would make a lot of money, like me on a normal day I do make N1, 300 or even more,” he said.
Danyaya who, after finishing primary school didn’t further his education, averagely makes a profit of N1, 000 and above from sugarcane sales daily.
He said, “My parents are poor and I cannot afford to go to school. I told myself I wouldn’t beg, now I can take care of my immediate needs and even help my parents.
“But if I would get a sponsor I want to further my education, I have a dream of becoming a medical doctor,” he said.
Magaji Hassan, 22 from Kaduna state, who started the sugarcane business three years ago, learnt the business from his elder brother who now abandoned the business to drive a taxi after he was able to save money and buy Vectra car.
“I started the business after I finished secondary school education, my elder brother introduced me to the business, he gave me his wheelbarrow and other things, and I am now enjoying the business.”
Press also gathered that most of the sugarcane traders are either out of school or have abandoned school as result of poverty. Many say they would go back to school they raise enough money or find sponsors

https://www.mediahelm.com.ng/2018/11/sugarcane-business-booms-in-plateau.html

GOOD MOVE!

The Plateau state government should use it to improve on their internally generated revenue ( IGR )

They should use their proceeds from federal allocation to develop alternative source of revenue as crude oil money from the Niger delta region will not be for too long.

The price of crude oil in the International market is rising and falling every now and then and it is not a stable means to fully rely on.
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:52am On Nov 29, 2018
wencesolo:

But there there is one slowpoke named GreenLand above you shouting sai baba. Buhari is a bastard.

2 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Allaboutkatiee(f): 7:54am On Nov 29, 2018
Alejob:
Shat up
You guys don't know how to do business.
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 29, 2018
wencesolo:
Am sure you will join all these yahoo boys
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by CaptainMitch: 7:59am On Nov 29, 2018
Miss Nigeria will patronise you
moscobabs:
One day my cucumber and melons business will boom

2 Likes

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Afonja007: 8:06am On Nov 29, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Everything is booming.

God bless Nigeria
with one almajiri having 20 children or one isika or wasiu having multiple children from different women keep deceiving Your self with Eldorado ,even Muslim ruling Dubai family don't 've children like northerners and afonja Muslim do
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 29, 2018
Afonja007:
with one almajiri having 20 children or one isika or wasiu having multiple children from different women keep deceiving Your self with Eldorado ,even Muslim ruling Dubai family don't 've children like northerners and afonja Muslim do
Is this one drunk?!
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by BanevsJoker(m): 8:14am On Nov 29, 2018
wencesolo:
He saved 100k.

1 Like

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by Quality20(m): 8:26am On Nov 29, 2018
But why are these Hausa men not introducing d local tribes into the business na?. I don't wanna hear of another economic crisis colored with religion tomorrow o. Cos very soon d locals might feel settlers have taken all d money making activities, leaving them with nothing
Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by islandmoon: 8:29am On Nov 29, 2018
dont encourage that in your state, it will be a great loss, those are untraceable illegal immigrants, they do not pay tax but move their wheel barrows away when tax collect show up, some of them were used to bombed gadabiu market in Jos, they stationed wheel barrow and walked away, we later hear BOOM!!!!!!!!, they are being used my terrorist!! open your eyes!! I'm sure one of those guys who doesnt know what is going on in Jos wrote this!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by kollinz1234(m): 8:29am On Nov 29, 2018
It is very true, just that those Hausa boys don't have the wisdom to become millionaires out of the business. Do u know that people eat food and use sugarcain as meat in jos??

See example below

Re: Sugarcane Business Booms In Plateau by nwanyionitsha: 8:43am On Nov 29, 2018
TheGreenLand:
Everything is booming.

God bless Nigeria
See this one.
Is this what our youth should be doing. Did you see their ages ? Did you even read the post cos if you did you would have noticed one complaining about inability to further his education.
Please always read before commenting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria: External Reserves Fall By $177m In 2 Weeks / Don't Use SOKOLOAN, I Repeat Stay Away From Sokoloan / NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.