Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level (1182 Views)

Is That Biafra Flag At Global Affairs Canada's HQ, Ottawa - Pic / Governor Godwin Obaseki Takes Edo State To Global Level (pics / Atiku Abubakar Meets Bola Tinubu At Airport (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2018
In regard to Atiku's visa standing, Alhaji is not on same status as is an ordinary citizen, he is in a different political class and treated in accordance with that status. See below for more explanation on how he is viewed, particularly in US and how this hinders his visa application. This will shed light on reason for his denial.

PEP- POLITICALLY EXPOSED PERSON

In financial regulation, "politically exposed person" (PEP) is a term describing someone who has been entrusted with a prominent public function. A PEP generally presents a higher risk for potential involvement in bribery and corruption by virtue of their position and the influence that they may hold. The terms politically exposed person and senior foreign political figure are often used interchangeably, particularly in international forums. Foreign official is a term for individuals deemed as government persons under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act or FCPA, and although definitions are similar to PEP, there are quite a few differences and should not be used interchangeably. The term PEP is typically used referring to customers in the financial services industry, while 'foreign official' refers to the risks of third party relationships in all industries.

While there is no global definition of a PEP, most countries have based their definition on the 2003 Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering (FATF) standard, as for example the Swiss financial market regulator in 2011, which quoted it as "the international standard"[1] or the Australian government in 2015.[2] FATF is an international inter-governmental body, founded in 1989 on the initiative of the G7 and hosted by the OECD, to set standards and promote implementing measures against money laundering, financing of terrorism and financing of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction to preserve the integrity of the global financial system.[3]:2

In February 2012, the FATF's latest definition of politically exposed persons (PEP), revised from 2003, is as follows:[3]:123

Foreign PEPs: individuals who are or have been entrusted with prominent public functions by a foreign country, for example Heads of state or Heads of government, senior politicians, senior government, judicial or military officials, senior executives of state owned corporations, important political party officials.
Domestic PEPs: individuals who are or have been entrusted domestically with prominent public functions, for example Heads of State or of government, senior politicians, senior government, judicial or military officials, senior executives of state owned corporations, important political party officials. (Not all countries subscribe to the concept of domestic PEPs with respect to regulatory requirements/application of due diligence. For example, US law, specifically Section 312 of the USA Patriot Act and its implementing regulations provide for enhanced due diligence for SFPFs (Senior Foreign Political Figure) only, defined as: "a current or former senior official in the executive, legislative, administrative, military, or judicial branches of a 'foreign' government...a senior official of a major 'foreign' political party; and a senior executive of a 'foreign' government-owned commercial enterprise.)
Persons who are or have been entrusted with a prominent function by a state owned enterprise or an international organisation refers to members of senior management, i.e. directors, deputy directors and members of the board or equivalent functions.
Requirements for a PEP apply to family members or close associates, any individual publicly known, or known by the financial institution to be a close personal or professional associate.[3]:18 "The FATF definition is not intended to include middle-ranking or more junior individuals."[3]:121

A forerunner definition was by the 1997 OECD Anti-Bribery Convention aimed at reducing corruption in developing countries, which came into force February 1999; it used the term 'foreign official'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politically_exposed_person
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2018
FINANCIAL ACTION TASK FORCE

The FATF Recommendations are recognised as the global anti-money laundering (AML) and counter-terrorist financing (CFT) standard. 1. A politically exposed person (PEP) is defined by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) as an individual who is or has been entrusted with a prominent public function.

Go here for more...
http://www.fatf-gafi.org/media/fatf/documents/recommendations/Guidance-PEP-Rec12-22.pdf
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by gmercy713: 7:50pm On Nov 30, 2018
Don't know why we love developing other's economy class leaving ours in a bad state.
The same next level lads that wanted him to visit USA are still seeking a way for him not to be able to visit the same country.
Something is wrong with our political class and citizens aren't going to be able to do anything to their oppressors.

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 8:18pm On Nov 30, 2018
gmercy713:
Don't know why we love developing other's economy class leaving ours in a bad state.
The same next level lads that wanted him to visit USA are still seeking a way for him not to be able to visit the same country.
Something is wrong with our political class and citizens aren't going to be able to do anything to their oppressors.

Nigeria must learn from this. Particularly our leaders must learn from it.

If you are a patriotic citizen I expect you to learn from this and use it as yardstick to hold other leaders and PEPs in this country accountable, regardless if they are PDP or APC. Stop commenting like a political saboteur.
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by docadams: 8:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
Atiku is a damaged baggage. QED.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by Herdsmen: 5:54am On Dec 01, 2018
Atiku Obi

Official nightmare of zombies and buharideens..

Na second dem dey use to study this man Atiku .. and na from different angles..

Yes Olodo na still dullard..

Atikulating with pride..

Op Lagoon dey close to you.. you can still do the needful , why we successfully retire jubril to Sudan .

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 6:53am On Dec 01, 2018
Herdsmen:
Atiku Obi

Official nightmare of zombies and buharideens..

Na second dem dey use to study this man Atiku .. and na from different angles..

Yes Olodo na still dullard..

Atikulating with pride..

Op Lagoon dey close to you.. you can still do the needful , why we successfully retire jubril to Sudan .

Thanks

If I take that Lagoon swear for you ehn, e go catch you. My ancestry came out of that Lagoon, so be careful and watch your tongue. Talk politics and leave other matters out.
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by Herdsmen: 8:16am On Dec 01, 2018
MetaPhysical:

If I take that Lagoon swear for you ehn, e go catch you. My ancestry came out of that Lagoon, so be careful and watch your tongue. Talk politics and leave other matters out.

Olboy swear n see for yourself..

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 8:18am On Dec 01, 2018
If America makes the mistake and issues visa to Atiku they will open a very stinky can of worms. What I'm learning is that there are actually many persons around the world that were either government officials or highly visible private citizens and are equally banned from entering US under one or multiple offenses classified as AML, CTF, PEP and FATF. Many of these were not investigated in Congress like Atiku was and so their case was not prominent but nonetheless were investigated by FBI and entered into records. Some are dead. The ones alive are watching to see what would happen in case of Atiku. Since it's a global agreement, it's beyond the US President to work around it without creating a precedence that lawyers would jump on and exploit for their clients in similar circumstance. Trump is already facing fire on many fronts and I am not sure he would rock the boat any more than necessary now that opposition is in control of House. Moreover, about 80days to go to election, they might just play wait & see. If Atiku wins election he becomes Head of Government. The Nigerian sovereignty cannot be barred from coming to US, that's the seat of UN. Therefore he can travel to US under clause and privilege of Head of Sovereignty. His own recognition as Atiku Abubakar will continue to disqualify him.
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 8:21am On Dec 01, 2018
Herdsmen:

Olboy swear n see for yourself..

Na so una dey make mouth online. Small time people go see you outside begin pity you, wondering who did you like this...not knowing you self destructed. Anyway...no worry. Carry go but just be mindful how you talk to me. I am clean in my talk, I expect same consideration.
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by Herdsmen: 8:26am On Dec 01, 2018
MetaPhysical:

Na so una dey make mouth online. Small time people go see you outside begin pity you, wondering who did you like this...not knowing you self destructed. Anyway...no worry. Carry go but just be mindful how you talk to me. I am clean in my talk, I expect same consideration.

Guy na fear dey fear me..
You get..
Your juju Marine sepertine ..no reach.

Being clean in your talk...and expecting same consideration is your business..
Abi you dey threatene my freedom of speech..
Tell mods to do the needful if you if say I cross your boundary..

But to use nonsense threatened..... E no work.

Everybody get where he belong..
So you fit try..

1 Like

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by Herdsmen: 8:28am On Dec 01, 2018
MetaPhysical:
If America makes the mistake and issues visa to Atiku they will open a very stinky can of worms. What I'm learning is that there are actually many persons around the world that were either government officials or highly visible private citizens and are equally banned from entering US under one or multiple offenses classified as AML, CTF, PEP and FATF. Many of these were not investigated in Congress like Atiku was and so their case was not prominent but nonetheless were investigated by FBI and entered into records. Some are dead. The ones alive are watching to see what would happen in case of Atiku. Since it's a global agreement, it's beyond the US President to work around it without creating a precedence that lawyers would jump on and exploit for their clients in similar circumstance. Trump is already facing fire on many fronts and I am not sure he would rock the boat any more than necessary now that opposition is in control of House. Moreover, about 80days to go to election, they might just play wait & see. If Atiku wins election he becomes Head of Government. The Nigerian sovereignty cannot be barred from coming to US, that's the seat of UN. Therefore he can travel to US under clause and privilege of Head of Sovereignty. His own recognition as Atiku Abubakar will continue to disqualify him.

Forget theory...
Atiku applied..and he's being considered..
..and Visa will be issued..

Na America get America ..no be fugitives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by MetaPhysical: 8:39am On Dec 01, 2018
Herdsmen:

Guy na fear dey fear me..
You get..
Your juju Marine sepertine ..no reach.

Being clean in your talk...and expecting same consideration is your business..
Abi you dey threatene my freedom of speech..
Tell mods to do the needful if you if say I cross your boundary..

But to use nonsense threatened..... E no work.

Everybody get where he belong..
So you fit try..

Dude keep quiet! Just keep quiet. Nobody know you for online, stop flexing and challenging me like that. You go try one day with someone with temper and enter one chance. Power pass power. Nothing dey your hand. I go turn am to water in your hand and command you to follow am flow like fish. Abi you don craze sef?
Re: Atiku Abubakar's Status At Global Level by Herdsmen: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2018
MetaPhysical:

Dude keep quiet! Just keep quiet. Nobody know you for online, stop flexing and challenging me like that. You go try one day with someone with temper and enter one chance. Power pass power. Nothing dey your hand. I go turn am to water in your hand and command you to follow am flow like fish. Abi you don craze sef?

You're simply a noise maker..

I don't need person to know me online...

Try your luck and see for yourself...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Atiku's Bodyguard..... / Atiku Finally Gets US Visa, Jets Out Of Nigeria / Why Are People Supporting Atiku.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.