Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions (1010 Views)

Iran Vows To Avenge, Threatens Nigeria. Nigerian Military Prepares. / Iran Military Threatens Nigeria / US Threatens To Withdraw "financial, Moral And Material Support" For The April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by Mamajama(m): 1:36pm On Apr 13, 2007
I think Nigerian government should take a stand as the giant of Africa. Do we really need USA? we can sell our oil to other nations like China and let USA do what ever it wants, why are they threatening us with Sanctions? Let Big Brother go pls.

The United States has threatened to review its relations with Nigeria and rally its allies to sanction the country should tomorrow’s elections and presidential election scheduled for next week produce an "illegitimate government".

The US government, through Senator Russ Feingold, chairman of the Africa Sub-Committee in the United States Congress, lampooned President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Prof Maurice Iwu-led Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), accusing them of lack of commitment to free and fair elections as well as limiting competition.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/apr/13/national-13-04-2007-04.htm
Re: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by BlackMamba(m): 4:23pm On Apr 13, 2007
The Bush administration seems to be content with its relations with the Obasanjo administration. Sanator Feingold can make all the empty threats he want, but issues of foreign policy rests in the president. If Nigeria was that important to the U.S., may be senator Feingold will sway public opinion and pressure Bush to play a more active role in Nigeria's democracy.
Re: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by Mamajama(m): 4:26pm On Apr 13, 2007
I am not sure they are content with the present administration. but i think its time they leave us alone and let us manage and rule ourselves. We all saw what US intervention did to IRAQ, Pakistan and other region. where is USA when ABACHA and IBB were killing this beloved nation?
Re: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by McKren(m): 4:38pm On Apr 13, 2007
Frankly I honestly can not believe US still being confident to interfere in other world affairs after the monumental failure in Iraq.

Though sometimes it is the fault of Nigerian media, cos I dont understand how a Senator in America will give his personal opinion and the Nigerian media will interprete that as the position of US.

It is like Jonathan Zwingina commenting on politics of America, and some newspaper will pick that up and hope to use that to coarse the Government of America.
Re: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by Mamajama(m): 4:44pm On Apr 13, 2007
it all goes to credibility and accountability of the media, are they telling us the truth or just trying to sell papers? we need some kind of penalty for publicizing false information or feeding the masses with vulgar information.
Re: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions by Afam(m): 5:37pm On Apr 13, 2007
Coming from Sun Newspapers, one cannot be too surprised sha.

(1) (Reply)

.... / Uplifting Our Educational System / Militants Attack Jtf Logistics Base, Captured Weapons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.