Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,036,276 members, 7,446,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 June 2023 at 01:12 AM

Fake News, A Threat To National Security – Buratai - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Fake News, A Threat To National Security – Buratai (184 Views)

Obi Is No Threat To APC, One Kano LG Gives Us More Votes Than South-east / Breaking News: A Nigerian Governor Sacks All Commisioner / Silver Fox Strip Club Is A Threat To Us - Port Harcourt Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fake News, A Threat To National Security – Buratai by OrientDailyNews: 11:51am On Dec 03, 2018
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai says fake news not only poses threat to national security but makes the ongoing counter terrorism operation in the North East more difficult.
Buratai urged Nigerians to be patriotic and wary of false in­formation, as well as condemn those behind it. “It is inimical to national security; it is inim­ical to the morale of the troops and by and large, it is one of the demoralising factors making the counter insurgency operation more difficult.’’

Buratai, therefore, urged those spreading fake news on the ongoing operations, includ­ing a section of the media to de­sist from such. He stated that terrorists survive on propagan­da to get attention and spread their ideology as well as to cre­ate fear and the impression that they were “untouchable, invinci­ble or have capacity that they do not possess.’’

“Nigerians must be very care­ful not to fall to their antics by condemning their actions and propaganda, and support the efforts of the military, especially the Nigerian army.

According to Buratai, the army, who is on the ground fighting the terrorists, bears the consequences of the fake news. He recalled that after the recent attack on troops of 157 Task Force Battalion at Metele, many casualty figures on the part of the army was bandied.

“So many figures were bandied around that we are the victim of the unfortunate incident but this is far, far from the figure. The figure so far has been 23, even it is one it is unfortunate, but to go out of the reality, to continue to spread false information is really unfortunate,’’ he said.

After the incident, various me­dia reports at different times put the casualty figures at 44, 70, 100 and above until a few days ago when the army confirmed 23 dead and 31 others wounded. Buratai, however, said that the army was working to counter fake news being spread about it and its operations and exercise through its newly established Cyber Warfare Command.’’

He said that was being done through quick responses to en­quiry and timely dissemination of information, noting that in­formation through social media platforms “spreads like wild fire.’’

“So far, we have been respond­ing timely and timely response has been the major function of the Nigerian army cyber warfare command and we will continue to ensure that they respond ap­propriately,’’ he added.
On the one billion dollars ap­proved by the federal govern­ment to buy arms for the mili­tary, Buratai said that the army has yet to access its share of the fund. “You know the process of funding is another major issue. The bureaucracy and so on is an­other issue. Approvals are given but before you really get the money out is another challenge.

“So, the people are talking or the media have been talking of one billion dollars that has been approved but I tell you up till today the fund that is supposed to come from that amount to the army in particular, is still in the Central Bank of Nigeria – CBN.

“The Ministry of Defence is yet to access the fund, while people say the funds are with the mili­tary; no, it is still with the CBN. When the ministry of defence gets the fund, the process is on right now, they will get the right equipment for us as proposed,’’ the army chief said.
(NAN)“So, the people are talking or the media have been talking of one billion dollars that has been approved but I tell you up till today the fund that is supposed to come from that amount to the army in particular, is still in the Central Bank of Nigeria – CBN.

“The Ministry of Defence is yet to access the fund, while people say the funds are with the mili­tary; no, it is still with the CBN. When the ministry of defence gets the fund, the process is on right now, they will get the right equipment for us as proposed,’’ the army chief said.
(NAN)


https://orientdailynews.com.ng/crime/fake-news-threat-national-security/




lalasticlala seun mynd44
Re: Fake News, A Threat To National Security – Buratai by Abfinest007(m): 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2018
fake new a national threat to security just as
*fake weapon for our gallant soldiers is no threat for boko haram
* fake feeding will make our soldiers weak
* fake recruitment will will bring real death

(1) (Reply)

LED Display / Still Looking For A Free Monster List? / How To Update Garmin Uconnect Maps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.