Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,385 members, 7,830,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents (2546 Views)

Supreme Court Judgement: Stop Deceiving Nigerians Chris Uba Tells Brother / Patrick Akpobolokemi Bundled Into A Van By Security Operatives - Video / APC, Security Agents Scheme To Conduct Rivers Election Under Buhari's Govt– Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by mazaje(m): 5:19pm On Apr 13, 2007
Anambra State: Chris Uba Abducted!
A kingpin of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Anambra State and acclaimed godfather, Chris Uba has been arrested by security agents a day before the contentious governorship elections in the state involving his brother, Andy Uba and former governor Dr. Chris Ngige of the Action Congress.

His family fears he may be assassinated by his abductors.

As at the time of this report, his friends and family have not been able top identify those who “took him away and where he was taken to” a family member told The Times of Nigeria over the telephone.

“They say they are security agents but we are not sure of their real identity.” The family member said.

Chris Uba and his brother Andy Uba have been locked in a political battle over the control of Anambra state and Chris Uba has been rumored to have concluded plans to work against his brother’s interest by supporting the candidacy of Ngige, his erstwhile political foe.

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2099
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 5:22pm On Apr 13, 2007
Haba! Am sure it's his brother that did this
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mamajama(m): 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2007
Nigeria and drama you've got to love this country. I think this is good news for Nigerian, not until they start kidnaping all this godfathers that senators will have plan to fund the security entity
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 6:34pm On Apr 13, 2007
Am glad this is happening before d elections not after so we won't have another saga
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Afam(m): 6:36pm On Apr 13, 2007
It is surprising that those that keeps talking about blaming OBJ for Chris Uba's actions are not here to explain why someone with OBJ's full backing and support could be abducted.

Nigeria, I hail thee.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mamajama(m): 6:38pm On Apr 13, 2007
maybe na Niger DElta kidnap am, grin
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 6:44pm On Apr 13, 2007
No. Wetin dem wan use an do?
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by TayoD(m): 6:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
@topic,

Who loses if Chris Uba supports Ngige - PDP.

Who controls the security agencies - PDP.

Who is responsible for the abduction - You are right: PDP
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Jakumo(m): 6:50pm On Apr 13, 2007
Does this mean that the Uba brothers love money and power more than they love each other ?   Well now, what a surprise.  Now all that remains to be seen is whether Andy Uba will go ahead and put his prisoner to the sword that he lives by.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 7:18pm On Apr 13, 2007
I pity d state. Just like Ekiti
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by McKren(m): 7:22pm On Apr 13, 2007
Even if Andy shoots his brother that is there problem, they are both bad news
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 7:31pm On Apr 13, 2007
Abi o!
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by joshO: 7:32pm On Apr 13, 2007
This is the problem with Nigeria, what makes you think it's PDP that have kidnapped him? With the kind of company these people keep, it's hard to say who may be cross with them. It's so easy for people to forment trouble in this country. A clever desperado could kidnap Atiku or Ngige today just to forment trouble, and guess who will be blamed?!!
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 7:34pm On Apr 13, 2007
Pdp . Power. That says it all. It's not even power to d people
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Backslider(m): 7:36pm On Apr 13, 2007
keep shifting the post and cracking your brains.

those that know, know what is happening.

THE PRESIDENCY IS NOT THE PERSON IT IS THE ENTIRE STATE and IT IS THE SOVEREIGNTY OF THE STATE
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mustay(m): 7:39pm On Apr 13, 2007
What's dis one writing? Who tell you say obj no get hand abi aint he d next leader of Pdp
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Backslider(m): 7:40pm On Apr 13, 2007
@Josh O

Just like they killed the Sheikh Guy in KANO TODAY. I told you that people don't want transition because they have stolen money and they want the military or anachy to occur.

The governors have stolen money and they will be in trouble if we have a successful transfer of power.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by McKren(m): 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2007
Backslider:

@Josh O

Just like they killed the Sheikh Guy in KANO TODAY. I told you that people don't want transition because they have stolen money and they want the military or anachy to occur.

The governors have stolen money and they will be in trouble if we have a successful transfer of power.

I think there is some element of truth in this.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mamajama(m): 1:58pm On Apr 14, 2007
Shameless people, Imagine two brothers fighting over a seat of power publicly. what will they do to the treasury or to other non family member when they get there? this is why people should boycott this fools.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by mowapa(m): 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2007
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by applec: 2:30pm On Apr 14, 2007
this is a total show of shame for brothers to be fighting each other all in the name of power,Anambra state should pray hard for their state, and come out enmasse to vote for a credible candidate.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by bolaoni(m): 2:42pm On Apr 14, 2007
This should lay to rest whether PDP or anybody is involved in the abduction

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070414030093

Nigeria I hail thee grin
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by basly: 2:48am On Apr 15, 2007
grin PDP a.k.a People Decieve People r up 2 their tricks again.d guy dey chill 4 aso rock with Baba iyabo dey plan hw they go koronise d state.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 15, 2007
@Afam,

"It is surprising that those that keeps talking about blaming OBJ for Chris Uba's actions are not here to explain why someone with OBJ's full backing and support could be abducted.

Nigeria, I hail thee."

I really wonder why you reason like this! Look this is simple. Chris and Andy his brother are fighting over who will take over the states purse. Now, between Andy and Chris, who do you think OBJ will support? He prefers Andy and it is time to dump Chris.

Chris vowed that his brother will not win the election and that means Chris is against the PDP. We hope that this fight will continue so that both of them can pave way for us to move forward.

Afam wake up from your dreams and face Nigeria the way it is.

Nigeria, I hate thee.

All we are saying, Give Us Chris Ngige!!!!!!!
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Afam(m): 11:19am On Apr 16, 2007
noblezone:

@Afam,

"It is surprising that those that keeps talking about blaming OBJ for Chris Uba's actions are not here to explain why someone with OBJ's full backing and support could be abducted.

Nigeria, I hail thee."

I really wonder why you reason like this! Look this is simple. Chris and Andy his brother are fighting over who will take over the states purse. Now, between Andy and Chris, who do you think OBJ will support? He prefers Andy and it is time to dump Chris.

Chris vowed that his brother will not win the election and that means Chris is against the PDP. We hope that this fight will continue so that both of them can pave way for us to move forward.

Afam wake up from your dreams and face Nigeria the way it is.

Nigeria, I hate thee.

All we are saying, Give Us Chris Ngige!!!!!!!

I have woken up a long time ago that is why I state it the way it is and leave out the conspiracy theories to dreamers like you.

Well, good luck to you and your state. Enugu state will certainly not tolerate 1/4 of what has been happening in Anambra state because we know how to call a spade a spade.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 16, 2007
@Afam,

At least, have you understood why it is time to dump Chris by those that gave him a name? INEC went ahead to declare Andy a winner despite the fact that there was no election in the state. They had the results ready rather than ballot papers. Once again, I ask you, do you advice that we carry guns? That seems to be only thing remaining. Or what spade are you talking about? You are yet to answer me.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Afam(m): 6:22pm On Apr 16, 2007
@noblezone,

You guys should do what you have to do to guarantee the future of the unborn ones in Anambra state.

Put differently, all options should be on the table and if need be remedy the situation.

Enjoy!
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by 9ja4eva: 6:42pm On Apr 16, 2007
How useless can they be?I pray Chris exposes them.Ngige should be allowed to rule Anambra State please.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by chidichris(m): 10:02am On Apr 17, 2007
that is another drama, a comedy well written and interpreted.
why now?
why not all these while he had been tormenting Ngige and the state as a whole?
is it now that his brother is involved?
the cries of the suffering masses will definitely reach our almight God one day and they shall begin to fight each other.
he has been an untouchable ever since Ngige refused to play by his rules but today because of an ordinary misunderstanding between him and his brother who is the anointed son of obj, he was arrested without any form of resistance to show that they left him to be acting all these while.
i don't want to say it here that obj is evil and had been suffering the people of anambra all these while through the so called uba family.
their sins against humanity must surely find them.
it is my opinion that they release him immediately to enable him finish the good works he started in anambra state or if it is time for justice, let them be straight with this at least to make us believe that their is no selected justice as we have been thinking
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2007
@Afam,
In clearer terms, "every means necessary" will mean taking the laws into our hands. Yet, that will be declaring war against the Federal Govt of Nigeria and I keep wondering, is it what you want?
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by 9ja4eva: 7:58am On Apr 18, 2007
chidichris:

that is another drama, a comedy well written and interpreted.
why now?
why not all these while he had been tormenting Ngige and the state as a whole?
is it now that his brother is involved?
the cries of the suffering masses will definitely reach our almight God one day and they shall begin to fight each other.
he has been an untouchable ever since Ngige refused to play by his rules but today because of an ordinary misunderstanding between him and his brother who is the anointed son of obj, he was arrested without any form of resistance to show that they left him to be acting all these while.
i don't want to say it here that obj is evil and had been suffering the people of anambra all these while through the so called uba family.
their sins against humanity must surely find them.
it is my opinion that they release him immediately to enable him finish the good works he started in anambra state or if it is time for justice, let them be straight with this at least to make us believe that their is no selected justice as we have been thinking

I dnt jst get them anymore.
Re: Chris Uba Arrested By Security Agents by Mamajama(m): 1:18pm On Apr 21, 2007
PURE STUPIDITY ON 2 BROTHERS FIGHTING TO FINISH

Chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and self-appointed godfather of Anambra politics, Chief Chris Uba has given an insight into his current travails at the hands of his elder brother and governor-elect, Dr. Andy Uba.

Uba who has since been let off the hook after his arrest for questioning by police authorities in Abuja last week, in this interview with journalists traced the genesis of his problems with his brother, insisting that in spite of Andy’s denial, Andy was strongly behind his woes. Chris, whose arrest was apparently to checkmate his alleged gang-up with his brother’s political rivals in the run up to last Saturday’s governorship election also debunked reports that he is under EFCC watch.

According to him, he has not committed any financial crime to warrant his being watched by the anti-graft agency, insisting that those behind the story were playing cheap politics.
Excerpts:

The Inspector General of police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero had declared you a security risk, the basis for your arrest shortly before last Saturday’s election. What exactly is the true position?
What is going on is purely a conspiracy by my immediate elder brother, Dr. Andy Uba to harass and intimidate me into submission after hijacking my political structure in Anambra State when I was out of the country. He did that using his official influence and contacts. I have no problem with the police IG (Ehindero). I have no problem with my party PDP where I am a member of the board of trustees. I have no problem with President Olusegun Obasanjo who has been like a father to me. Mr. President has been making efforts, the way a good father does to resolve the differences between my brother and me. I appreciate the President’s efforts. My brother Andy is behind what I am going through today. I have not done anything wrong to him. He hijacked my political structure without recourse to me his brother. To me, this is pure betrayal of a brother who meant well for his brother. It is painful. It is immoral. And this is against the law of natural justice. Andy has been very unfair to me. It was to pave the way for him in last Saturday’s election that made him engineer my police invitation, fearing that I might scuttle his gubernatorial ambition.

When the police came for you in Enugu, was it a kind of arrest or just invitation for questioning?
Well, when 20 mobile policemen came to my house last Friday morning in Enugu, they told me the commissioner of police wanted to see me. I went with them immediately because l had nothing to fear. I did nothing wrong. I have no skeleton in my cupboard. When l eventually saw the commissioner at the state police command in Enugu, he told me that the Inspector General of police actually wanted to see me. I said okay, let me arrange my things. We tried to get an aircraft to Abuja but we couldn’t. I now suggested we wait till after the election, but they said no, insisting that the IG wanted me immediately. They said we should go by road to Abuja, so l had to send for my vehicles to take us on the journey. When we got to Abuja by 7pm that day, we went to the Force Headquaters, but l couldn’t see the IG. Then the PSO to the IG took me to one of IG’s guest houses because the he was out of town to monitor the elections on Saturday. I was there till Sunday without seeing the IG. Then on Monday afternoon, the IG called me in for a chat. He told me he invited me to see how he could resolve the problem between Andy and me. I explained everything that happened between us. He then advised that l should settle my problem with Andy, and that he meant no harm by sending for me. He said his plea for us to resolve our differences was the only thing he could do as the chief law enforcement officer of the federation. At the end of the meeting, the IG said I was free to go back to my house. Nobody maltreated me at the police headquarters. It is just my brother Andy who is afraid of his shadows.

Did you see the police invitation coming?
Well, there was a rumor about a month ago that l would be arrested before the election and taken away so that l will not be around on election day. I was told that my brother Andy was boasting then that he would make sure l was arrested by all means and taken out of Anambra. According to him, if l was allowed to remain in Anambra during the election, I would work against his victory. That was exactly what he did last week. He started by ensuring that Mr. Uchenna Emordi who was PDP chairman in Anambra State was removed along with other executive members of the party to pave way for the caretaker committee that would work in his favour. He did that when l traveled out of the country. I resented the caretaker arrangement, as I was in charge of the party structure in the state. So when my brother started his campaign, I stayed away in protest. I wasn’t part of his campaign and that made him uncomfortable. But it is wrong for anybody to say that l will work against my party, PDP because l am still a member.

What gave you the conviction that it was your brother and not any other person that was behind your ordeal?
Well, it is not a question of argument. Andy Uba is behind all the things happening to me. He is using his privileged position in government to intimidate me, but l do not think that will work for him. He has wronged me and he must atone for his sins against his younger brother, politics or no politics. He (Andy) has been saying one or two negative things about me. Baba (President Olusegun Obasanjo), as I said earlier, has been trying to mediate between us like a father. The president knows that left for the two of us, l would defeat Andy and would become the governor of Anambra State. The president knows our individual capacity and he knows that Andy cannot match me in any political contest. My brother is only thriving on the protection and support he is getting from the government. So you can see why he is terribly afraid of me.

But he had denied responsibility for your arrest?
He cannot deny it. The denial is mere politics. Andy is totally behind my ordeal and I am happy he knows that l know. What do you expect him to say? Andy knows that he does not have the power to tell the police IG directly to arrest me, so he had to run to those who can help him influence the IG to do what he did. They now said it was a protective custody, a chat, an invitation, whatever that means I do not know. But to me, that chat took so long and in the process, they denied me my right to vote. I was disenfranchised from performing my civic duty in the last Saturday election. They (police) just kept me in one room on that election day without even any television to at least know what was going on. But I believe strongly that God knows everything. It is only God that can settle our differences.

Are you saying your brother couldn’t have won the election without your structure and support?
But it is evident to you that he couldn’t have. The outcome of the exercise has shown that he couldn’t have got anywhere near victory. The reason is that the candidates he faced at the election were far stronger, politically than him, he required someone like me to alter the whole calculation because for eight years, I was on ground politically in Anambra State. I know the terrain very well. I have the grassroots support. I have been with our people and I’ve kept touch with every community and leader there. My network is strong. After the 2003 polls, I put my structure in place far ahead of the 2007 elections. Dr Chris Ngige, whom l helped to get there as governor knows better. My brother has no grassroots support. Have you seen where somebody comes from Abuja and in six months, he wants to become governor? It’s not possible. Some people must be the masquerade beating the drums for that person. So if the field were level, Andy wouldn’t have won three wards, not to talk of a local Government in this election. He just had the field cleared for him. My brother’s case is typical of somebody whom the proverbial benevolent spirits cracked his palm kerrnel for him. The people he was running to for help during his campaign are all my people. He was afraid I could spring a surprise on election day and that was why he became worried. He knows me very well, I am his younger brother, from the same womb. He knows my capacity, that I am a very straightforward person. And when I get angry, nobody can intimidate me. It is only God that knows what is happening between Andy and me.

Were you indeed working against his governorship ambition?
Honestly speaking, I was not. Andy is of the same father and mother with me. We are only three boys in the family, Senator Ugochukwu Uba, Andy and myself. I am the last child. Infact, I am like the baby of the house. Age is on my side more than it is on his side. If the Anambra governorship position were to be by rotation amongst us, for instance, I would even ask him to go and serve first. So I’m not bothered. I did not scare him, but he felt I was unhappy with him because of the act of betrayal he committed against me. He knew that because of what he did, I could do something funny.

Has there been any effort by either you or Andy to mutually resolve issues between you?
Not at all. There has been no such thing. Family members have made efforts to mediate but each time he (Andy) would frustrate those measures because he still believes he has official power behind him. But I want him to know that I have God on my side. He took away what rightly belongs to me. And so far, I have God behind me, I will continue to fight for justice. Andy is my elder brother but he knows that I started politics before him. I began politics before 1999, so I know this game better than him. I have put people in power and the people of Anambra State know that I am more popular. He (Andy) knows why he decided to take my political structure. People like Uchenna Emordi who worked for that structure was kicked aside without any compensation. Those who did not work for the PDP structure are now the ones enjoying the benefits. That is not the right way in party politics. Andy took the structure just two months to the party primaries. So I feel pained that party members who were with us were cast aside.

Other than the issues you raised, was there something else between the two of you
Not at all. I was very close to my brother. Two of us worked closely before now, so I was not expecting this kind of thing. We were not having any problem before now. If I had suspected this kind of thing would happen, I wouldn’t have been surprised. He just woke up one day in my absence and carried out this coup against me. But ordinarily, if he wanted to be governor of Anambra State, this is something we ought to have discussed between us in the family. He could have easily got my support rather than engaging in coup plotting. Some fifth columnists held him hostage, urging him to distance himself from me if he wanted to clinch the governorship ticket. I don’t think it was a wise and tactical decision on the part of my brother. He didn’t play his card very well, if not, this conflict would have been avoided because it is not good for our family. As you can see, I have just been released by the police. I am trying to get in touch with our family members. Our mother is still alive. I will try to let her know what happened.

It was reported that you held a meeting with Governor Peter Obi shortly before your invitation to Abuja. What was it about?
When I saw the report in the newspapers that I had a meeting with Governor Peter on the possibility of supporting his party, I was amused. I was amused because the meeting had no political undertones. I was not supporting APGA. I am a member of the PDP and therefore had no business with any other party. You see, I had obtained a court judgment in my favour mandating the Anambra State government to pay me the money it owes me over a job legally executed. President Obasanjo is very much aware of this matter. The projects had to do with the Government House and governor’s lodge in Awka. The governor invited me to come and discuss the project with him. I met with Governor Obi, Prof. (Mrs) Chinyere Okunna (Anambra State Information Commissioner), the SSG of the state and a few others. We decided to schedule another meeting after the presidential election. That was the extent we got to at that meeting.

It is believed that your heart is no more with the PDP and that you are supporting a rival party. How true is this?
Does that not sound ridiculous to you? It is one of those attempts to paint me black before the leadership of my party, PDP. You see, there is no party like PDP. That impression is absolutely wrong. I have not left PDP. I am still a member of the party’s board of trustees. I have worked so hard over the years for the growth of the PDP. I have invested a lot of my energy and resources for PDP, so I’m going nowhere other than where I am and that is PDP. I’ve never had any meeting with the opposition. It is not my style of politics. I don’t go into something I do not believe in. But I must tell you that I am not happy with the way my party treated me in Anambra State after all the sacrifices I have made. But I intend to table my grievances before my party leadership after this election. The only person I have a problem with is my brother, Andy. He knows what I can do. If he felt I was not a factor to reckon with, he wouldn’t have tried what he did last weekend. I believe very strongly that it is only God that can resolve the problem I have with him

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan's Facebook Status About Settler/indigene Issue In Nigeria / Thomas Sankara - Africa's Greatest Leader / Has Anybody Ever Come Across Kemi Omololu Olunloyo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.