Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,561 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Speaking In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues (1078 Views)

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 6:40pm On Jul 31, 2010
I need help with the above topic-speaking in tongues. I recently followed a friend to his church and was numbed by a request from one of the church members. The lady asked the Prophetess to make her speak in tongues. Surprisingly, the Prophetess started praying for her with all sorts of incantations and finally told her to practice the art every evening before going to bed and when she wakes up in the morning. Another surprise was that all members of the congregation speaks in the unknown dialect (tongues).

I am a Catholic by faith, but just out of curiosity I decided to attend the congregation with that my friend. So, when I got home I became restless thinking about the speaking in tongues issue and decided to do some research in the Bible as to where everybody is required to speak in tongues. All I got was 1 Chorithians chapter 14 vs 1:26.

Among the gifts mentioned, speaking in tongues was the least, and even that there should be somebody to interprets whatever the dialect being spoken means or else the act becomes selfish and disservice to the rest of the church.

I need somebody to put me through.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by invisible2(m): 6:56pm On Jul 31, 2010
Maybe you need to 'believe' the gospel more.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 7:02pm On Jul 31, 2010
I want to believe, but not without the Bible doctrine. Faking beliefs is not an option.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Acidosis(m): 7:18pm On Jul 31, 2010
You have to be careful about the language of the spirit. Its not a must to speak in tongues. I wonder where these men of gawd got their doctrines by enforcing, reinforcing, teaching and coaching their members on the techniques of this language, the brethen on the pentecost day received the grace after the holy ghost came upon them.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by alexleo(m): 9:09pm On Jul 31, 2010
This kind of speaking in tongues you described here is fake pls. Avoid that so called church. Read acts chapter 2 starting from verse 1 down. You will see how the right speaking in tongues comes. Most of the places you call churches are devil's shrine operating under the name church. Pray the lord will direct you aright.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by invisible2(m): 9:32pm On Jul 31, 2010
@alexleo, which church have you formed?
Re: Speaking In Tongues by seyibrown(f): 9:54pm On Jul 31, 2010
Viaguru, please, what did you mean by 'incantations' in the original post? I'll respond to the whole of the post sometime soon.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Rhino3dm: 10:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
Speaking in rubbish??
" i wanna mental craze, start to da craze, na who they rocky this place kolomental". Mad people, speaking rubbish say na language of the spirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 12:32am On Aug 01, 2010
@Seyibrown, definition of incantation in the post context is the chanting or uttering of words purporting to have magical power. The way 99.999 % of the church members were speaking in tongues gave me goose bumps. I could not say amen because I do not understand what they were saying and I bet none of them could interpret any of their utterances.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Enigma(m): 1:33am On Aug 01, 2010
@Viaguru

You'd better avoid that "church" like the plague; keep away from it! The "prophetess" is deluded and possibly a charlatan; her followers are ignorant or misguided.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by ugo2u(m): 2:25am On Aug 01, 2010
@poster

there are many false givings about speaking in tongues, but that doesnt make it fake or phoney, in the real sense you don't need anyone to pray for you or lay

hands on you to speak in tongues, its a free gift and as soon as you ask for it and you are willing to recieve it then you will get it. although its not really the

tongues you are after but the Holy Spirit, tongues is just an evidence of the filling of the Holy Ghost. So if you really want to recieve the Holy Spirit as a friend

then all you have to do is to go to your prayer closet or any quite place, ask him to come in and fill you and in your heart recieve Him (because He is a gift that's

why its called Gift of the Holy Spirit) then after that just relax and be trust me you will get an urge to speak and it will seem wierd, but speak it non the less, it will

take a while but you will get used to it, in my experience I was skeptic about it and even after prayers I didnt speak in tongues, I did only after I accepted the

Holy Spirit and He came in and with it came the tongues, I must say it took a while to get used to it. So ask Him and tell us how it went ok. will be waiting
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 2:53am On Aug 01, 2010
@Ugo 2u

I trust you did not misjudged my concern; nobody in the bible requested to be taught how to speak in tongues (Only if the believers are following the bible) nor were there speakers in tongues without interpreters. I will be best served if somebody can quote a book, chapter and verse in the Holy Bible where all the members of a church spoke in tongues without interpreters. I still refers followers of this post to 1 Chorithians chapter 14 verse 1 to 26.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by ugo2u(m): 3:01am On Aug 01, 2010
where the church spoke in tongues without an interpreter? hmmm lets see, give me a sec
Re: Speaking In Tongues by ugo2u(m): 3:02am On Aug 01, 2010
1. Acts 2:4 they spoke in tongues and no interpreter was mentioned
Re: Speaking In Tongues by ugo2u(m): 3:09am On Aug 01, 2010
Acts 10: 44 and 46 is still another account of speaking in tongues without an interpreter, when an interpreter is important is if the Preacher or member prays for another person in tongues or delivers a sermon or message in tongues, if not there will be confusion. when one is praying for one's self or interceeding for another there bears no need for an interpreter (the Holy Spirit gives these gifts as He chooses you know) and besides interpretation is another gift altogether although its among the utterance gifts of the holy spirit
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 01, 2010
speaking in tongues is basically what happens when adults try to communicate in baby language in other words it's bull.shi.t
Re: Speaking In Tongues by seyibrown(f): 3:58pm On Aug 01, 2010
You can speak in tongues without having hands laid on you. Some people need someone to lay hands on them so they can receive it. Speaking in tongues is not 'chanting incantations'. The Holy spirit gives you utterance and speak and pray in the spirit because we do not know what to pray for all the time. You don't practice it to get the utterance but you do get used to it. You will understand what you are saying in tongues( as you speak or afterwards) if you have the gift of interpretation of tongues.

I Corinthians 12 v 27 -31
27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.
28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?
30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way.

Ask God for the gift of diverse tongues if you wish to have it. It will come without hands being laid on you or God will direct someone to lay hands on you so you can receive it.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by ugo2u(m): 9:20pm On Aug 01, 2010
@SEYIBROWN

I dont think they want to , they just want to engage in some Idle conversation.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by SCROLLAUTO(m): 10:55pm On Aug 01, 2010
Isaiah 9:6 NLT
6 For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. And the government will rest on his shoulders. These will be his royal titles: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 KJV
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
=============================================================================================================================================================

Isaiah 10:27 NLT
In that day the Lord will end the bondage of his people. He will break the yoke of slavery and lift it from their shoulders.

Isaiah 10:27 KJV
And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
=============================================================================================================================================================
Psalms 24 NLT
1 The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.
2 For he laid the earth's foundation on the seas and built it on the ocean depths.
3 Who may climb the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place?
4 Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies.
5 They will receive the Lord's blessing and have right standing with God their savior.
6 They alone may enter God's presence and worship the God of Israel. Interlude
7 Open up, ancient gates! Open up, ancient doors, and let the King of glory enter.
8 Who is the King of glory? The Lord, strong and mighty, the Lord, invincible in battle.
9 Open up, ancient gates! Open up, ancient doors, and let the King of glory enter.
10 Who is the King of glory? The Lord Almighty- he is the King of glory. Interlude

Psalms 24
1 The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6 This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.
7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
8 Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

Roman 8:26-34 NLT

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.
27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will.
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters.
30 And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And he gave them right standing with himself, and he promised them his glory.
31 What can we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?
32 Since God did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't God, who gave us Christ, also give us everything else?
33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? Will God? No! He is the one who has given us right standing with himself.
34 Who then will condemn us? Will Christ Jesus? No, for he is the one who died for us and was raised to life for us and is sitting at the place of highest honor next to God, pleading for us.

Roman 8:26-34 KJV

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by italo: 11:22am On Aug 02, 2010
Dear Viaguru,

The Catholic Church teaches that speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. However, the popular notion of speaking in tongues promoted by Protestant Pentecostals is false. They speak nonsensical gibberish and call it speaking in tongues. This is not from God according to the Bible.

The Catholic Church understands speaking in tongues to mean speaking a human language previously unknown to the speaker. At the first Christian Pentecost this truth was clearly illustrated. “Tongues as of fire appeared, which parted and came to rest on each of them. All were filled with the Holy Spirit. They began to express themselves in foreign tongues and make bold proclamations as the Spirit prompted them” (Acts 2:3-4). The Apostles spoke a language previously unknown to them “These heard the sound (of wind), and assembled in a large crowd. They were much confused because each one heard these men speaking his own language…'How is it that each of us hears them in his native tongue?'” (Acts 2:6, cool. This is clear biblical evidence that speaking in tongues is not Pentecostal gibberish.

Another example of true speaking in tongues occurred before St. Peter baptized in to the Church the first Gentiles. The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit and began to speak in tongues (Acts 10:44-46). Later, Peter explained to the complaining Jews why he baptized Gentiles. “If God was giving them the same gift he gave us when we first believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to interfere with him?” (Acts 11:17). What was the gift that the Apostles received when they first believed at Pentecost? They spoke foreign languages previously unknown to them.

St. Paul teaches at length about true speaking in tongues. He teaches that true speaking in tongues does not consist of uttering nonsensical gibberish. “Similarly, if you do not utter intelligible speech, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will be talking to the air” (I Corinthians 14:9). St. Paul also says that what one is saying must build up the Church which gibberish cannot do. “Since you have set your hearts on spiritual gifts, try to be rich in those that build up the Church. Therefore, he who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret” (I Corinthians 14:12-13). Further he points out that one's spiritual gift must be used to teach one's fellow Christians. “Thank God, I speak in tongues more than any of you, but in the church I would rather say five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue” (I Corinthians 14:18-19). Finally, St. Paul notes that speaking in tongues can help unbelievers to believe because it is a spectacular manifestation of the Spirit. “The gift of tongues is a sign, not for those who believe but for those who do not believe” (I Corinthians 14:22). Yet for the Protestant Pentecostal they speak their gibberish for the benefit of their fellow Pentecostals. Often many in their church are making unintelligible sounds all at once “as the Spirit moves them”. Such action is condemned by St. Paul. “If any are going to talk in tongues let it be at most two or three, each in turn, with another to interpret what they are saying. But if there is no one to interpret, there should be silence in the church, each one speaking only to himself and to God” (I Corinthians 14:27-28).

The Bible clearly supports the Catholic Church's position on speaking in tongues. Just as clearly the Protestant Pentecostal gibberish is condemned by the same Bible.

God Bless You.

I actually got the above from a Catholic website for you. I do not want you to fall away from the faith as many have done out of ignorance. However, I pray that these questions in your mind ultimately lead you to the truth. If I may say this, you are already in the truth, don't fall away!
Re: Speaking In Tongues by alexleo(m): 5:10pm On Aug 02, 2010
@invicible,
I have a church i ve been attending for close to forty years now and i dont intend to start my own church. Am just a business man who loves God and want to serve him in spirit and in truth all the days of my life. Thats why I hate to see people practising a compromised bible standard. Am not here to project the church i attend and i ve never mentioned it here but all i stand for is that we should not out of our selfishness bend the bible to suit us pls. God bless you.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2010
@Italo

Well taken.

God bless us all.
Re: Speaking In Tongues by agathamari(f): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
i find it intresting how one subset of christianity can believe speaking in tounges to be the way to god while anothr as a sign of possession. same can be said with "falling out" or being "struck by the spirit" all a matter of interpritation
Re: Speaking In Tongues by prizone(m): 12:08pm On Aug 03, 2010
Victims of the so called "Apostle Paul's" fabu
Re: Speaking In Tongues by uziike: 8:45pm On Aug 03, 2010
I got the same impressions when I read that verse of scripture, but look at 1 cor 14:4- He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself, but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. When you speak in tongues but don't interpret you are edifying urself but if you speak in the language of heaven and also interpret then you edify urself and also the church. Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Spirit and is a sign that follows every believer. Matthew 16:17- And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name they shall cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues. It is not compulsory to speak in tongues but it is a privilege to do so. Ask God and he will bless with such privilege to speak in a language that the demons and humans cannot understand. More on this topic later!
Re: Speaking In Tongues by Viaguru: 7:03pm On Aug 05, 2010
Deviations has done so much damage to Christianity. The name-Christianity has different meanings to different believers; some see money attached to it while some use it to perpetuate other types of crime and the real believer are left confused.

(1) (Reply)

Religion — The Bad Parent / Monthly Prophetic Declaration / Wasn't Constantine A Christian Emperor? (No offense to catholics please)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.