Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Which Os Do You Think Is The Best Choice For Children? Linux? Windows? Os X? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Os Do You Think Is The Best Choice For Children? Linux? Windows? Os X? (708 Views)

D Advantage Of Free Dos Laptop Over Those With Windows OS / How To Make You Indian Web Proxy For Mtn 20% Faster On Any Windows Os: / How To Identify Original M-s Windows (os) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Os Do You Think Is The Best Choice For Children? Linux? Windows? Os X? by nazzyon(m): 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2010
At the moment we all know that Microsoft Windows is still the most used OS in the planet and others are catching up pretty fast.

After reading a post on Techrepublic earlier today, the blogger asked the question above. So felt I should direct it to whoever is interested.

Again the question is (Which operating system do you think is the best choice for children? Linux? Windows? OS X?)

Everyone is welcome to respond to this question and please do state your reasons 'cos it will help educate others.

Please lets point to areas like:

Security
UI
Interaction
Cost
Accessibility

and every other stuffs you feel others need to know.

Thanks
Re: Which Os Do You Think Is The Best Choice For Children? Linux? Windows? Os X? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:10am On Aug 01, 2010
nazzyon:

At the moment we all know that Microsoft Windows is still the most used OS in the planet and others are catching up pretty fast.

After reading a post on Techrepublic earlier today, the blogger asked the question above. So felt I should direct it to whoever is interested.

Again the question is (Which operating system do you think is the best choice for children? Linux? Windows? OS X?)

Everyone is welcome to respond to this question and please do state your reasons 'cos it will help educate others.

Please lets point to areas like:

Security
UI
Interaction
Cost
Accessibility

and every other stuffs you feel others need to know.

Thanks

well its a bad question!! very subjective and open to needs/requirements. it depends on what u wanna teach them.

but for cost, im sure u know the winner.
security too,

the other factors, subject to the individual
Re: Which Os Do You Think Is The Best Choice For Children? Linux? Windows? Os X? by muyiscoi(m): 8:08pm On Aug 01, 2010
well i think OLPC (one laptop per child) has a custom linux disto which they preinstall on their XO machines called Sugar OS. it is linux (redhat/fedora) based and uses a custom window manager/UI which is specifically geared for children. it also has some features which i think can only be enjoyed if ur using the XO laptop but i think u can still use that UI for children effectively. i can't really categorize it effectively under the criterion you listed but since it is linux based, i believe it has inherited its advantages which will give it a plus in security, cost, and UI (in this case, Sugar). as for Interaction and Assessibility, i believe that is subjective

an alternative which i am more familiar with is , you guessed it, Ubuntu. or more specifically, ubuntu netbook edition. the huge colorful buttons will be inviting to a child and will encourage him/her to explore the system.

you however, might also consider introducing the child to windows especially if u envisage a future in IT for that child cos to be realistic, windows is what he/she will encounter alot in school while growing up and an introduction to it earlier on will be a plus.

so in essence, i dont think i have helped u much cos i havnt actually answered d question at all smiley

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need The Address Where To Get Cheap Laptop / Cheap Offer Buy Your Clean Minilaptop For 27,500 Best Offer / Workshop : 30 Microsoft Excel Functions/formulas Explored (hands-on Training)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.