Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,460 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:31 AM

Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' (694 Views)

Amaechi Fainted, Was On Drip As Osinbajo Was Made VP To Buhari - Magnus Abe / Atiku, Saraki, Bruce, Fayose, Dogara React As Osinbajo Survives Helicopter Crash / Dele Momodu, Nigerians reacts as Osinbajo Survives Helicopter Crash In Kabba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by ExAngel007(f): 2:14pm On Dec 07, 2018
While speaking on Thursday when he launched the
Google Free public Wi-Fi service in Wuse market,
Abuja, the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, said that
the launch was in line with the Buhari

administration’s commitment to leverage on the
gains that a data-driven digital economy offers,
providing more Internet access and opportunities
for Nigerians to improve their businesses.

According to Vanguard, the VP stated that the event
was a fulfillment of a promise made by the
administration to democratise access to all
Nigerians, despite social class or status.

He said, “this is a very exciting event for me. A
couple of months ago, we were at the Google
Headquarters at the Silicon Valley. And we were
told about the Google Station Free Wi-Fi in Railway
stations in India.

"The CEO of Google was talking about this and I
said if you can put this in railway stations in India,
then you must put them in markets in Nigeria. I’m
sure at the time he wasn’t quite certain what
markets in Nigeria would look like. But we agreed
on principle and a team has been working on it
since then.

“It’s incredible that today we have here at the Wuse
market free Wi-Fi facilities in fulfillment of that
promise that was made some months ago. One of
the key reasons why it is important for us to do
this is because of our own policy as a government
to ensure that we democratize access in various
ways so that the man in the street, the common
man, can have access to the things that other
people have. That informs our putting solar power
in markets.

“We were in Sabon Gari market the other day,
where we have shops that are now powered by
solar power and also by bio-fuels. We decided that
we’ll power the markets, Sabon Gari is one, Ariaria
Market is another. As a matter of fact, Ariaria has
solar and a formal plant right there. We also have
one in Lagos, (gas-fired) at the Sura Market and
several other markets.

“The reason of course is that economic sites,
where many of our people do their business must
be powered. We must give them the same sort of
access that bigger industries have; that bottom of
the pyramid, the people in the streets, not just the
people who buy and sell. You find such guys, who,
after retiring from pushing their barrows and trying
to get their business done, have access to Wi-Fi.”
Prof. Osinbajo said the administration was looking
at expanding the scope so that more Nigerians can
benefit from access to the Internet.

He said, “We are told that our own interaction with
the Wi-Fi is almost a hundred times more than the
likes of India, Thailand and Malaysia. It just shows
you the massive potential out there of Nigerians
who are waiting to be connected to the Internet to
benefit in one way or the other. So, I think it is a
very exciting moment for us and we are looking for
the expansion of this service and all of our efforts
to as many markets as possible.”

“The more Nigerians can have access to the
Internet connectivity, the better for us, the more
prosperous our country can be, the more educated,
the more informed our people become. So, we are
really proud of what is happening today. I must
thank Google; I must thank BCN – the local
partners – as well. We are looking forward to more
collaboration and co-operation with them.”

https://www.tori.ng/news/112468/google-lauches-free-wifi-facility-in-abuja-as-osin.html

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by socialmediaman: 2:15pm On Dec 07, 2018
Nice one! I know Osinbajo will claim glory for a project in the works since 2012 which is on going all over the world by Google and Facebook.

Google has facilitated the upgrade of WiFi speed and hot spot access to millions of people all over word, same being planned by Facebook for developing countries. These companies want more people to access the internet so more people can use their services.

1 Like

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by ExAngel007(f): 11:32am On Dec 09, 2018
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by HappyPagan: 11:53am On Dec 09, 2018
Free Wi-Fi at what cost? embarassed embarassed
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by cdqyehyeh(m): 12:04pm On Dec 09, 2018
This weeks is a b*d week for ipod. giving them heartbreaking news back to back
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by docadams: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2018
socialmediaman:
Nice one! I know Osinbajo will claim glory for a project in the works since 2012 which is on going all over the world by Google and Facebook.

Google has facilitated the upgrade of WiFi speed and hot spot access to millions of people all over word, same being planned by Facebook for developing countries. These companies want more people to access the internet so more people can use their services.

Very soon and very soon you will know the effects of struggling against a tide instead of. flowing with it

1 Like

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by netpro(m): 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
It Government's responsibility to attract needed developments and infrastructures.

I am sure is (God forbid) a Google Executive is kidnapped or killed in Abuja, you will find a way to blame it on Buhari. Now that it is something positive, you are smart by half.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by netpro(m): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2018
HappyPagan:

How is FREE equal to Cost?
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by Josh44s(m): 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2018
Shameless government. This VP is a Slave and a puppet to the North.
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by FarahAideed: 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2018
There is nothing like free Wi-Fi so let this govt stop deceiving people with propaganda ..
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by HappyPagan: 1:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
netpro:

How is FREE equal to Cost?
There's a cost... Setting up the infrastructure and such. Our 'data' is the TRUE cost.
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by seunmsg(m): 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2018
HappyPagan:

Free Wi-Fi at no cost to the users.
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by Omeokachie: 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2018
Hihihihi...

Our former pastor has forgotten that part of the bible that says all liars shall have their part in the lake of fire which burneth with sulphur and brimstone. grin
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by socialmediaman: 1:18pm On Dec 09, 2018
docadams:

Very soon and very soon you will know the effects of struggling against a tide instead of. flowing with it

Even Lagos elections may surprise you, just relax and observe.

1 Like

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by docadams: 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2018
socialmediaman:

You sound quiet unconvincing. Well, I am always relaxed and also very vigilant. I have come to realise that Atiku's infamous manifesto has condensed to a monotone of "BUHARI MUST GO, MUST GO"!

2 Likes

Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
docadams:

You sound quiet unconvincing. Well, I am always relaxed and also very vigilant. I have come to realise that Atiku's infamous manifesto has condensed to a monotone of "BUHARI MUST GO, MUST GO"!

Bruv, they are hoping for a miracle which can never happen. We tell them the extreme hate emanating from the SE and Igbos for Buhari is not a barometer for how others feel but they will never listen as they always face one way with no dissent allowed or entertained. They will be very disappointed come FeBuhari.
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 09, 2018
socialmediaman:

What a joke. Lagos ba? We will see. Just don't deactivate after the election to pick race.
Re: Google Lauches Free Wi-fi In Abuja As Osinbajo Says 'it's A Promise Kept' by docadams: 2:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
Oshigun:

Bruv, they are hoping for a miracle which can never happen. We tell them the extreme hate emanating from the SE and Igbos for Buhari is not a barometer for how others feel but they will never listen as they always face one way with no dissent allowed or entertained. They will be very disappointed come FeBuhari.

You are quiet right. They are robots on cruise control.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Breaks Forth, APC In State Of Tension And Fear As North West Show Where Thei / Why Buhari Will Lose. / Why Atiku Avoiding The Debate Is A Wise Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.