Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? (2521 Views)

Interested In Nigerian Art? Here’s How To Buy Your First Piece / Promoting The Richness Of Nigerian Art And Culture / Raising Your Children The Nigerian Way When Married To A Foreigner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by Aliki(m): 11:17am On Aug 01, 2010
In my opinion, I believe that the Nigerians should beging to invest in the Nigerian Local art market by collecting art. Presently, art ffrom Nigeria is attracting considerable attention from European, American and South African buyers, it is no doubt that Nigerian works are now attracting investors who want to invest thier money wisely, lnowing well that in future, the resale value will surely fetch unprecedented sum.

Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by madlady(f): 2:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
I agree with you on most of what you say.

It's a shame that Nigerian art and crafts are not valued more by ALL black peeps but, this does not only apply to Nigeria, other black nations are inclined to overlook or dismiss their own artists.

Yinka Shonebare MBE has a sculpture on display on a plinth in Trafalgar Square, I thought thousands of Nigerians would attend to support him on his big day,  angry angry.

Many very wealthy white people invest in art, I hope Nigerians and other blacks also see that this is a wonderful way to spend and invest.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by Aliki(m): 2:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
Yes, right now only a fraction are investing in art, most are in it just to decorate.
I read about the show:the Fouth Splinth, Nelson's Ship in a Bottle, by Yinka Shonibare. I'm proud of him.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by madlady(f): 2:56pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^^Do you sell art cool cool cool I paint, well I did up until a few months ago embarassed.

Do you have art work for sale, why not show some, it would be wonderful to see Nigerian art work.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by Aliki(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2010
Well, I am an artist, the pictures I posted with the topic are shots from the openning of my last solo exhibition in Lisbon, Portugal(march 2010) the works in the backgroung are my acrylic on canvas paintings. ou may visit my website ww.tolualiki.com to see my not-too-recent works, or visit my facebook page (tolu aliki) to see my recent works.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by madlady(f): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^^FABULOUS, well done you.

Pls post more when you have the time.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by madlady(f): 8:37pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^Gosh, I've just spent the last hour looking at your work.

I love your style of work it's so uplifting even a painting called "broke" feels positive, it's soooo uplifting.

You seem to be very prolific, it takes me more than a year to produce even a small oil on board.

I think undecided if you were in the UK you would be on you way to big things.

If I'm not mistaken Prince Charles purchased and publicised a Black artist who's style looks to be in almost the same vain,
I attended the gallery showing, it was packed to the rafters,your style of painting seems far more appealing, not so primitive.

I hope more peeps on this site see your thread.
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by ababda: 11:40pm On Aug 02, 2010
Salam: Madlady[b][/b] why did you stop painting, I remembered you had ideas pertaining to the coptic letters for your art, What happened? Did you complete your project or holding it off?
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by madlady(f): 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
ababda:

[b]Salam[/b]: Madlady[b][/b] why did you stop painting, I remembered you had ideas pertaining to the coptic letters for your art, What happened? Did you complete your project or holding it off?

Greetings to you @ababda, it's been a long time since I have heard from you or seen your wonderful thread cry. I hope your well.

No I did not complete my project, cry I am sad about that but I've stopped painting for now.

Thank you for reminding me about the ideas I had about getting a range of tops/t.shirts made using coptic letters, thinking about this may kick start my painting impetus undecided
Re: Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move? by searchcorp(m): 11:13pm On Nov 09, 2015
perhaps you all should start from www.artnigeria.com

(1) (Reply)

Real Picture And Short Story Of The Woman Behind Twenty Naira Note-ladi Kwali / Oluwo Of Iwo Leads Muslims In Eid Prayer (photo) / ***hmmmm Nigeria Women***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.