Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,473 members, 7,823,101 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption (7430 Views)

Owo Massacre Suspects Not ISWAP Members- Amotekun / Falana To Malami: You Risk Being Removed As AGF If You Fail To Release Sowore / Falana To DSS: Release Sowore, Bakare And Stop Exposing Nigeria To Ridicule (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Adeitanajoke(f): 7:07am On Dec 10, 2018

Femi Falana, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), has advised the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop sealing off assets belonging to suspects of financial crimes.

The lawyer gave the advice in Ikeja at the presentation of ‘Compendium of High-Profile Corruption and Financial Crimes Cases in Nigeria’.

Falana said sealing of properties while cases were still pending in courts does not do the public any good as the assets eventually lose economic value.

He said: “I do not subscribe to the locking up of assets or properties while a case is still pending in court. I do not think the EFCC or other anti-corruption agencies should be doing that.

“If somebody has stolen money to build a hospital, just like the one on Adeniyi Jones in Ikeja, somebody was alleged to have stolen to build the hospital worth about N2.5billion, which is sealed now.

“For me, you are not doing the public any good by just locking up the place and by putting your inscription: ‘Under Investigation’.

“Why don’t you allow it to function so that the place can benefit the people, because it is already acquired for public purpose.

“And this should go for all buildings too. People are looking for accommodation and you just lock up blocks of flat over cases still pending in court.

“And these cases may be in court for years. And by the time the cases are concluded, the premises you have sealed no longer have their value.

“The EFCC was set up to revive businesses not to liquidate them. You liquidate businesses by just getting some court orders. That to me, is not the way to fight corruption.”

Falana said the seized vehicles wasting away at EFCC offices is a cause for concern.

He suggested that the vehicles could be sold by the EFCC while the proceeds are kept in an account pending the determination of the cases involving their owners.

“If the case is finally resolved in favour of the suspects, they are given the money, if not, the money is forfeited to the government,” he said.

“That, I think, is better than allowing these vehicles to waste away while cases are being investigated or still pending in court.”

https://all-gists..com/2018/12/falana-to-efcc-sealing-assets-of-suspects-not-the-way-to-fight-corruption.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by datyrone(m): 7:19am On Dec 10, 2018
I don't take lawyers seriously.... even papa falz angry

3 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by tolulope1990(m): 7:24am On Dec 10, 2018
Tell them... Devilish party and governance

12 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by israelmao(m): 7:24am On Dec 10, 2018
The father of Falz who sang "This is Nigeria" has spoken from his chamber and in his great wisdom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by aolawale025: 7:25am On Dec 10, 2018
He's making sense

9 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 7:25am On Dec 10, 2018
My brother help us tell apc abeg

3 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Skillzmen: 7:26am On Dec 10, 2018
Na wa
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Mastadestiny(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2018
Walahi EFCC no get sense

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by DWJOBScom(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2018
Well that’s the only option they got!
When your Govt lacks basic idea of Governance, what do you do ?

Vote them out !

13 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by wickyyolo: 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
What he said is very correct. Most especially with the Hospital

4 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by grandstar(m): 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
He has a point

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by laplace19(m): 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
His points are valid
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by KingLennon(m): 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
The President will never build good Hospitals for us even though he's also questionnable for fraud but he will sealed those that are profitble to us. Can anything good come out from a lifelesslipsrsealed person?

4 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Kingosytex(m): 7:27am On Dec 10, 2018
magu's EFCC is the most controversial, double standard, bias and directionless EFCC that has ever existed in this country. magu's EFCC is a pseudo-APC association

4 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by gare(f): 7:28am On Dec 10, 2018
datyrone:
I don't take lawyers seriously.... even papa falz angry

But there is a lot of sense from what he has said, you may not see because you are part of the Z nation

13 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Sholaco: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2018
Garagara of this government s much

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by domino4211(m): 7:28am On Dec 10, 2018
grin

welcome to Nigeria,where recovered loots are looted by people who tag other people 'looters' ..
So how do we now tell the difference between the original looters and the lootees

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by kerry57: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2018
Shebi u dey support this govt before falana? Wanting power at all course and not having a tangible plan in place before coming to power killed this govt. Let's collectively decide and make naija work and great again God bless naija.

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by kufre2010: 7:29am On Dec 10, 2018
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2018
I think I subscribed to his observation regarding this issue outright closure or sealing off properties is not the right way of doing things in this country we waste 2many resources yet we claim we don't have money

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by davillian(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2018
That's what happens when old people with burnt brain fuse rules us.
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Anduku: 7:29am On Dec 10, 2018
Femi knows the truth, this government is fast turning to a civilian dictatorship

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by YoungLionken(m): 7:29am On Dec 10, 2018
Gani Fawehinmi of blessed memories... Since his demise, none has come close. How pathetic!
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by abdulsalam81: 7:32am On Dec 10, 2018
I totally agree with Femi on this issue
Sealing the property or company can also lead to job lose

1 Like

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by datyrone(m): 7:32am On Dec 10, 2018
gare:

But there is a lot of sense from what he has said, you may not see because you are part of the Z nation

you that is part of A nation.what have you done for your country or even your constituency
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by gare(f): 7:35am On Dec 10, 2018
datyrone:

you that is part of A nation.what have you done for your country or even your constituency

Lol, what have I done for my country or constituency, let's not go there because you will not understand, it's not about me but rather focus on the advice from Falana

5 Likes

Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by Mankosi: 7:38am On Dec 10, 2018
Festus keyamo dey advise them
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by foreshore(m): 7:39am On Dec 10, 2018
Adeitanajoke:

Femi Falana, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), has advised the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop sealing off assets belonging to suspects of financial crimes.

The lawyer gave the advice in Ikeja at the presentation of ‘Compendium of High-Profile Corruption and Financial Crimes Cases in Nigeria’.

Falana said sealing of properties while cases were still pending in courts does not do the public any good as the assets eventually lose economic value.

He said: “I do not subscribe to the locking up of assets or properties while a case is still pending in court. I do not think the EFCC or other anti-corruption agencies should be doing that.

“If somebody has stolen money to build a hospital, just like the one on Adeniyi Jones in Ikeja, somebody was alleged to have stolen to build the hospital worth about N2.5billion, which is sealed now.

“For me, you are not doing the public any good by just locking up the place and by putting your inscription: ‘Under Investigation’.

“Why don’t you allow it to function so that the place can benefit the people, because it is already acquired for public purpose.

“And this should go for all buildings too. People are looking for accommodation and you just lock up blocks of flat over cases still pending in court.

“And these cases may be in court for years. And by the time the cases are concluded, the premises you have sealed no longer have their value.

“The EFCC was set up to revive businesses not to liquidate them. You liquidate businesses by just getting some court orders. That to me, is not the way to fight corruption.”

Falana said the seized vehicles wasting away at EFCC offices is a cause for concern.

He suggested that the vehicles could be sold by the EFCC while the proceeds are kept in an account pending the determination of the cases involving their owners.

“If the case is finally resolved in favour of the suspects, they are given the money, if not, the money is forfeited to the government,” he said.

“That, I think, is better than allowing these vehicles to waste away while cases are being investigated or still pending in court.”

https://all-gists..com/2018/12/falana-to-efcc-sealing-assets-of-suspects-not-the-way-to-fight-corruption.html

True talk
Re: Falana To EFCC: Sealing Assets Of Suspects Not The Way To Fight Corruption by seunlayi(m): 7:39am On Dec 10, 2018
Oga F F, thanks for sharing this common sense but I m sure apc won't need it

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Lifts Suspension On Humanitarian NGOs In The Northeast / Ebele Obiano’s Face Ruined By Excess Plastic Surgery (recent Disturbing Photos) / Court Adjourns Suit To Disqualify Atiku From Presidential Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.