Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development (6567 Views)

React + Css Vs React + Tailwindcss Which Do You Prefer?? / Flutter Vs Swift – Comparison Of IOS App Development Tool In 2021 / Ionic Vs React Native Vs Core Android/ios Vs Flutter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Firestarter(f): 1:16pm On Dec 11, 2018
Don't sure which framework is right for you? In this article, we investigate the current state of things for the more popular iOS and Android cross-platform frameworks

Hope this article will help you make the right decision as per your business requirements.

https://steelkiwi.com/blog/flutter-vs-react-native-vs-xamarin-for-cross-platform-development/
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2018
Firestarter:
Don't sure which framework is right for you? In this article, we investigate the current state of things for the more popular iOS and Android cross-platform frameworks

Hope this article will help you make the right decision as per your business requirements.

https://steelkiwi.com/blog/flutter-vs-react-native-vs-xamarin-for-cross-platform-development/

I prefer staying away from cross-platform apps, they're unpredictable and harder to manage than pure os.

2 Likes

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by crunchyDope(m): 10:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
react native is the worst framework av cum across, the issues are still upcoming

yet to try xamaringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Baksmanbk(m): 11:39am On Dec 12, 2018
flutter all the way
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by afonja112: 11:48am On Dec 12, 2018
chalantmike:

I prefer staying away from cross apps, they're unpredictable and harder to manage than pure os.
GBAM
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by trytillmake(m): 10:38am On Dec 13, 2018
chalantmike:

I prefer staying away from cross-platform apps, they're unpredictable and harder to manage than pure os.

Do state yr reasons, using ionic and angular has been sweet so far.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
trytillmake:

Do state yr reasons, using ionic and angular has been sweet so far.

Functionality is limited compared to pure os, combining multiple technologies to immitate mobile experience, is error prone, most of these errrors yhu cant catch at debugging time,cause each individual os is different from the other. In case of android each OS version is built either on the failure of the past os, or as an improvement on the past OS version, hybrid apps can not account for those chances or improvement since most hybrid technologies are based on web technologies, if a user upgrades his / her OS version, your hybrid app might not respond well.

As a developer you'd sleep well at night, building pure OS apps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Olalekank(m): 5:09am On Dec 16, 2018
I just want to point out some things here. As a flutter advocate, I might be a little bias with my arguement.

As for me, if you're to choose between a cross platform tool then flutter is your best bet. Asides the fact that flutter can and has been used in creating high quality apps targeted towards so many users, you can also build these apps in record time - for iOS and android.

Some might argue that there are some native functionalities that you cannot embed. However it's worthy to note that you can write native platform code in your flutter app, so if there's a functionality you can't get to implement in flutter, you can box in your java or swift code right there in your flutter app!

Another set of people say the apk size after build is quite high but I can assure that the apk sizes since its inception has been reducing considerably. An app I and my partner has been working on has over 36 pages and over 85 .dart files has about 30.5mb for apk size. I suppose is higher than that of RN and Xamarin but still not close to the native apps itself but with the flutter team continuously working on flutter, we should see even more greater reductions as we've seen as newer SDK versions are released.

Mehn, have you seen flutter animations?! You need to check that out, I'd probably spend a whole month immersing myself in it. You can create high quality animations in little time, real little time.

Here's where flutter kills java for native code, just like in web development, you can debug your android apps live, use a feature called hot reload and see your changes in LESS than 1 second. You just see yourself coding and coding and coding without knowing how many hours has gone. Kudos to google for that. Does it work that way in xamarin or RN or native java? Kindly help clarify.

Finally, there's an article which I'm too lazy to look for right now of how a CEO had to switch from ionic to flutter due to performance issues, the title of the medium article is "How flutter saved our startup". Hamilton music also used flutter to build an app (I'm not too sure what the app is about but you sure can expect a lot of users are using the app). Then google also uses it in its google admob. It has a lot of support already compared to "other cross platform" tools.

Flutter is not an hybrid app, head on to flutter.io to get started today, also refer to my first line opener once again.

cc chalantmike , crunchyDope, Firestarter

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by solomon201(m): 9:42am On Dec 16, 2018
Flutter is awesome for building cross platform apps. The development experience is second to non I have seen, performance is also very good. First tried it in January and had never looked back.

2 Likes

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 16, 2018
Olalekank:
I just want to point out some things here. As a flutter advocate, I might be a little bias with my arguement.

As for me, if you're to choose between a cross platform tool then flutter is your best bet. Asides the fact that flutter can and has been used in creating high quality apps targeted towards so many users, you can also build these apps in record time - for iOS and android.

Some might argue that there are some native functionalities that you cannot embed. However it's worthy to note that you can write native platform code in your flutter app, so if there's a functionality you can't get to implement in flutter, you can box in your java or swift code right there in your flutter app!

Another set of people say the apk size after build is quite high but I can assure that the apk sizes since its inception has been reducing considerably. An app I and my partner has been working on has over 36 pages and over 85 .dart files has about 30.5mb for apk size. I suppose is higher than that of RN and Xamarin but still not close to the native apps itself but with the flutter team continuously working on flutter, we should see even more greater reductions as we've seen as newer SDK versions are released.

Mehn, have you seen flutter animations?! You need to check that out, I'd probably spend a whole month immersing myself in it. You can create high quality animations in little time, real little time.

Here's where flutter kills java for native code, just like in web development, you can debug your android apps live, use a feature called hot reload and see your changes in LESS than 1 second. You just see yourself coding and coding and coding without knowing how many hours has gone. Kudos to google for that. Does it work that way in xamarin or RN or native java? Kindly help clarify.

Finally, there's an article which I'm too lazy to look for right now of how a CEO had to switch from ionic to flutter due to performance issues, the title of the medium article is "How flutter saved our startup". Hamilton music also used flutter to build an app (I'm not too sure what the app is about but you sure can expect a lot of users are using the app). Then google also uses it in its google admob. It has a lot of support already compared to "other cross platform" tools.

Flutter is not an hybrid app, head on to flutter.io to get started today, also refer to my first line opener once again.

I would give it a try coming from google, should be worth it, I think it works the same way other way other hybrid ide works, cause I can see syntax of html, javascript / typescript all over the place, I pray its not in kotlin.

Maybe flutter can account for the loopholes in other hybrid technologies, coming from google we expect thehbest. So imma try it for a week if its as good as yhu say, i would do the switch, to flutter.

One problem I can anticipate is flutter is relatively new , so most of its debug errors might not have a solution out there or someone is just yet to post it.

Lets hope for the best.

1 Like

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Olalekank(m): 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
chalantmike:

I would give it a try coming from google, should be worth it, I think it works the same way other way other hybrid ide works, cause I can see syntax of html, javascript / typescript all over the place, I pray its not in kotlin.

Maybe flutter can account for the loopholes in other hybrid technologies, coming from google we expect thehbest. So imma try it for a week if its as good as yhu say, i would do the switch, to flutter.

One problem I can anticipate is flutter is relatively new , so most of its debug errors might not have a solution out there or someone is just yet to post it.

Lets hope for the best.

Yes you should!
Give it a shot!
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by afonja112: 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
I am a native developer, both android and IOS, with objective c / swift for ios and java for android. I have given many of the hybrid techs a shot but dont like them, however, FLUTTER is an EXCEPTION.
I have not used it for big projects yet, but so far, I think it is the best in town.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by DAPMAN601: 10:34am On Jan 09, 2019
Olalekank:

I want to contact you, please share your email or phone number.

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 14, 2019
[quote author=DAPMAN601 post=74590428][/quote]

Not to argue or something, flutter coming from Google is huge, I have been following and I think it beats other hybrid technologies, but let me inform yhu that the hot reload feature was first implemented I think in angular, if yhur a web developer, yhu can install live server, to get that debugging your code in real time, chrome also has extension.

My point here is its not a new feature, the android version of that feature is Apply changes.

Flutter has been suggested to be good for creating MVP apps, what that means is a minimum viable product, type of app, as a working prototype, when it come to heavy duty apps, flutter is not recommended, yhu can do the research, it relatively new but amazing.

Always remember yhu use the right tool for the job, that yhu know yhu can solve any issues that comes up in the future, android is well ahead in this area and in terms of scalability.

And yes I too am gonna make to switch production switch to flutter in time, right now am just playing around with it.

1 Like

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by daverebranded(m): 2:56pm On Jan 16, 2019
I have done Xamarin , as a c# guy I think it's great for production level apps, please flutter advocates have you guys actually tested flutter with real world production ready applications?
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by micodon(m): 6:05pm On Jan 16, 2019
chalantmike:

Functionality is limited compared to pure os, combining multiple technologies to immitate mobile experience, is error prone, most of these errrors yhu cant catch at debugging time,cause each individual os is different from the other. In case of android each OS version is built either on the failure of the past os, or as an improvement on the past OS version, hybrid apps can not account for those chances or improvement since most hybrid technologies are based on web technologies, if a user upgrades his / her OS version, your hybrid app might not respond well.

As a developer you'd sleep well at night, building pure OS apps.

obviously, you dont know the difference between “cross-platform” and “hybrid”

2 Likes

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by olamil34(m): 10:13pm On Jan 16, 2019
solomon201:
Flutter is awesome for building cross platform apps. The development experience is second to non I have seen, performance is also very good. First tried it in January and had never looked back.

Yes, she stole my heart and my d**k.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by olamil34(m): 10:14pm On Jan 16, 2019
daverebranded:
I have done Xamarin , as a c# guy I think it's great for production level apps, please flutter advocates have you guys actually tested flutter with real world production ready applications?

Yeap.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 26, 2019
micodon:

obviously, you dont know the difference between “cross-platform” and “hybrid”

In most case both terms are interchangeable, try not piss me off. Yhu could always state yhur case.

1 Like

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by micodon(m): 11:58am On Jan 26, 2019
chalantmike:

In most case both terms are interchangeable, try not piss me off. Yhu could always state yhur case.

nope. they are never interchangeable. if you wanna get pissed off for receiving corrections, be my guest

3 Likes

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 27, 2019
micodon:

nope. they are never interchangeable. if you wanna get pissed off for receiving corrections, be my guest

Mr man , both terms are interchangeable, difference between both terms is just hybrid is mostly specific to mobile and cross platform covers a wider range of technologies than hybrid , cross platform most likely refers to software, if I say a software is cross platform, ttha is can work on mùltiply platforms, I can as well say it a hybrid software, its just semantics.

Technologies that can be used to build hybrid apps is limited and mostly web based cause it is the one technology all platforms atleast most have in common.

A language like python covers more platforms than any other language, I think.
The word platform refers to the operating system itself. Hybrids are built to imitate.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by bakayokoko: 11:25pm On Jan 27, 2019
LHIMEET UNQUOTE THAT NUMBER NA cheesy
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Lhimeet(m): 11:56pm On Jan 27, 2019
bakayokoko:
LHIMEET UNQUOTE THAT NUMBER NA cheesy
Okay.. Will do grin
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by bakayokoko: 12:05am On Jan 28, 2019
Lhimeet:

Okay.. Will do grin

CORRECT MAN grin
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by micodon(m): 4:14pm On Jan 28, 2019
chalantmike:

Mr man , both terms are interchangeable, difference between both terms is just hybrid is mostly specific to mobile and cross platform covers a wider range of technologies than hybrid , cross platform most likely refers to software, if I say a software is cross platform, ttha is can work on mùltiply platforms, I can as well say it a hybrid software, its just semantics.

Technologies that can be used to build hybrid apps is limited and mostly web based cause it is the one technology all platforms atleast most have in common.

A language like python covers more platforms than any other language, I think.
The word platform refers to the operating system itself. Hybrids are built to imitate.

thank you for showing your lack of basic knowledge to the world. believe what you want to believe

1 Like

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 29, 2019
micodon:

thank you for showing your lack of basic knowledge to the world. believe what you want to believe

I really don't have time for this broz,I have worked on both hybrid n cross platform. I really don't have time for all this. Google is yhur friend, go work and come back instead of that high n mighty air yhur trying to put up.

Yhu can always state yhur case, point yhur point forward.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by nonybrighto: 9:48am On Mar 30, 2019
Believe me! Flutter is awesome!!! ... AnyTime, AnyDay!!

1 Like

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Dthinkerman: 12:20pm On May 21, 2019
Bro, @Nicodon is right. Hybrid and cross-platform are not interchangeable or synonymous. In fact, they are two different concepts, not sitting on the same face of the technological world.

Cross-platform means it has the ability to work across different OS platforms, like Android and ios, in the case of mobile, or Windows, Linux and Mac, in the case of Web.

However, on the other hand, when you say hybrid, it means it doesn't work with full functionality. The opposite of hybrid is native. When a mobile app is a native app, it means it has the capacity and is built with the functionality to work with the hardware components of a mobile device, like WiFi, camera, fingerprint, etc. A hybrid app cannot work or isn't built with the capability to work with most hardware components of a device.

micodon:

3 Likes

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Dthinkerman: 12:23pm On May 21, 2019
Bro, @miicodon is right. Hybrid and cross-platform are not interchangeable or synonymous. In fact, they are two different concepts, not sitting on the same face of the technological world.

Cross-platform means it has the ability to work across different OS platforms, like Android and ios, in the case of mobile, or Windows, Linux and Mac, in the case of Web.

However, on the other hand, when you say hybrid, it means it doesn't work with full functionality. The opposite of hybrid is native. When a mobile app is a native app, it means it has the capacity and is built with the functionality to work with the hardware components of a mobile device, like WiFi, camera, fingerprint, etc. A hybrid app cannot work or isn't built with the capability to work with most hardware components of a device.

chalantmike:

I really don't have time for this broz,I have worked on both hybrid n cross platform. I really don't have time for all this. Google is yhur friend, go work and come back instead of that high n mighty air yhur trying to put up.

Yhu can always state yhur case, point yhur point forward.
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by asalimpo(m): 2:50pm On May 21, 2019
You r right and one should strive to be more accurate in his choice of descriptive terms but sometimes its just semantics the meaning can b inferred from the context.

Hybrid can b likened to an artificial limb. It does most of what a flesh limb can do but it's not natively grown. People arent born with artificial limbs.
The artificial limb can grab nd hold n throw but may not feel sensation like heat cold pain etc since it isnt conncted to the clients nervous system. It's a mechanical aid. This way it differs from a flesh nd bone limb.
Even if it could it wouldnt b blood operated,cant regrow or sweat.

Cross platform can b likened to a multi lingual person. Because he can speak many languages he can communicate in different environmnts. He can cope where a monolingual person would need an interpreter to survive. But being a non-native speaker his accent may still come off as not quite it yet. His rapidity may b slower. He may not understand deep nuanced talk tht a native born speaker may get.

But in d mobile space the terms r interchangeable cuz hybrid tools are designed to b cross platform. All trending hybrid languages r cross platform.

@Dthinkerman
chalantmike
micodon
Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 01, 2019
Dthinkerman:
Bro, @miicodon is right. Hybrid and cross-platform are not interchangeable or synonymous. In fact, they are two different concepts, not sitting on the same face of the technological world.

They're Interchangeable, depends on the context of the speaker, when you say cross platform, you are most like referring to the os. when you say hybrid, you are referring to its behaviour.
When I say cross platform I expect you to know, it is mutable to multiple OS "operating system".

In english the word mutable and hybrid are similar but very different things, mutable means can change. Hybrid would probably be more focus on properties, behaviour etc.

If I say an hybrid app, that would mean, an app that can behave like a native app. When I say cross platform apps, I am referring to its os not it build or behaviour.

Re: Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development by crunchyDope(m): 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2019
Olalekank:

am thinking about using flutter for a project , is der a plug-in to implement iap?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is A Degree In Computer Science Still Worth It??? / Coding Demo Day: Some Web Apps Developed At Moat Academy Coding Boot Camp / I Want To Develop A Software In Java To Calculate CGPA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.