Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? (1288 Views)

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by MeredithM(f): 8:25am On Apr 15, 2007
Hi all -- I'm a writer working on creating a Nigerian character, and I'd like to know whether the surname 'Odubade' is Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, or something else. My Google searching seems to indicate Yoruba, but I can't find any conclusive information. Can anyone enlighten me?
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by cuteass1(f): 9:43am On Apr 15, 2007
well i can't say if its Hausa or Yoruba

but i'm positive that its not Igbo, so you can strike Igbo off your list wink

don't worry, very soon you'll find out which tribe the name belongs to cheesy
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by Ugwumba(m): 9:51am On Apr 15, 2007
Odubade is a Yoruba name.
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by MeredithM(f): 4:55am On Apr 16, 2007
Right on, thanks for the replies. smiley
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by ikamefa(f): 5:00am On Apr 16, 2007
Ugwumba:

Odubade is a Yoruba name.

definitely a yoruba name

Source: ifa religion as in Odu ifa smiley
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by MeredithM(f): 9:11pm On Apr 17, 2007
Oh, cool, that's helpful. Thanks for the information. smiley
Re: What's The Origin Of The Name Odubade? by NiteAngel(m): 12:15am On Apr 25, 2007
Odubade is a Yoruba name from Odu-ifa-ba-ade. Odu is related to the ifa oracle, my guess is that Odu-ifa is the prophecy or proclamation from ifa i.e when the cowrie shells are thrown for divination, what is received from ifa is the odu. My literal interpretation of Odubade is Odu meets the crown. The Ijebu's are the ones who usually have Odu as a prefix e.g Odusanya, Odunniyi, Odugbemi. Surnames with 'ade' may have links to the crown or royalty.

(1) (Reply)

Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. / Could This Be The Darkest Baby Ever Born? / Photo: Photos Of A Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.