Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Its High Time That Nairaland Owners Upgrade The Forum - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Its High Time That Nairaland Owners Upgrade The Forum (252 Views)

Is High Time State Of Emergency Is Declared On Online Begging. / Moderators, It's High Time Is Banned / What Do You Think Nairaland Owner Should Implement To Make The Forum A Good One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Its High Time That Nairaland Owners Upgrade The Forum by GoodMuyis(m): 9:31am On Dec 14, 2018
Over the years we have seen how Facebook had grown so much in user base and has also improved in design. While Facebook was lunch in February 2004, Nairaland started in March 2005. There was a time when this forum was the most visited in Nigeria after Google.com and Facebook, the site ranking on Alexa is very high as at then that was good old days.

We should commend the effort of the Owner for Migrating from PHP SMF to a Design from scratch Python Codebased Forum. Moving away from Adsense to new- category self-contained Ads system. Its a good job done.

The problem now is as the years is moving forward, Nairaland is either not moving at all or is crawling like a wounded ball-python. Since the moving into the new system of Forum and Adverts system. I have not seen any major changes or improvement to the whole website. Although, I observed few changes on user profile. The Shared and Liked post wasn't like it is today.

It is worthy to note that the state of Nairaland in general as it is today is a gross embarrassment, both in design, content and engagement.

The Design although simple and easy to use, is outdated no social platform retain its design for too long.
The Content My God Discussion Forum is what we called Nairaland Not a News Curator or Aggregator, but as it is today Nairaland is junkyard where every blogger dumps their nonsense and expect traffic from it.
The Engagement - A Discussion Forum is meant for people to freely rub minds together, share opinions, oppose each other as the case may be, but almost every user on Nairaland have assumed that they must pick a side in a discussion, I think these are the people who came late to internet forum.

What I suggest to be Done in 2019
The first thing that needs attention is the redesign of the Homepage (aka FP or frontpage), Topics should be categorized similar to what newsnow.co.uk have. So that user will go straight section they have interest in.

Every forum has as much as available volunteer Moderators managing the user content, The employed Mods and the Spam Bot are not enough to combat bad content and spam comment. Recruit more volunteer to help in this area not just 1 or 2 Mods per Forum, content are generated in thousands per day if I guess right.
Apart from the moderators, There should be User Committee, while the moderators are working for the Forum, the committees are on the side of the Users

For Quoted comment, Read more, Collapse and Expand feature is long overdue, it is frustrating that you have to scroll to the bottom of a quote only to see a dot.

A big Discussion Forum like this doesn't have ToS, FAQs, Updated and Comprehensive Rules Section, that is really bad.

Sometimes instead of being aggressive at slight provocation and descend into e-insult, a Dislike button would do. Also with dislikes, users will be conscious of their comment.

There are other premium opinions I have but have forgotten many. I will update the post as soon as I remember. Also, I will Mail SuperMod on another idea how to combat multiple/spam registration
Re: Its High Time That Nairaland Owners Upgrade The Forum by GoodMuyis(m): 9:32am On Dec 14, 2018
cc Seun, mynd44, lalasticlala
Re: Its High Time That Nairaland Owners Upgrade The Forum by clive2u(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2018
MOD give this guy 7months ban and when he's back ban him again.
joking

this is nice, even my 7year old son said this same thing.

and i dont even have a child yet

(1) (Reply)

I Regret Getting Pregnant For This ‘unsuitable’ Man – Linda Ikeji / Revealed: How “saint Buhari” And APC Hired 20 Private Jets For A Political ... / How To Switch Countries On Garmin GPS System?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.