Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,986 members, 7,866,709 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 12:17 AM

Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity (593 Views)

Female Billionaires That Own Private Jets In Nigeria(photos) / Senator Dino Melaye Stupendous Display Of Wealth Is Irritating (Photos) / Delta State And Its Home-Grown Billionaires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Mobinga: 5:20pm On Aug 04, 2010
Thirty-eight US billionaires
have pledged at least 50% of
their wealth to charity
through a campaign started
by investor Warren Buffet
and Microsoft founder Bill
Gates.
They include Mayor Michael
Bloomberg, CNN founder Ted
Turner and entertainment
executive Barry Diller.
"The Giving Pledge" lists all
the families and individuals who
have committed to the project.
The site says the pledge is a
"moral commitment" not a "legal
contract".
The campaign was started in
June to convince US billionaires
to give away at least half of
their fortunes either during
their lifetimes or after their
deaths.
Those who pledge their money
to "philanthropic causes and
charitable organisations" must
publicly state their intention
through a letter of explanation.
The organisation says many of
the donors have committed to
sums far greater than the 50%
minimum level.
"While the Giving Pledge is
specifically focused on billionaires,
the idea takes its inspiration
from efforts in the past and at
present that encourage and
recognize givers of all financial
means and backgrounds," says
Givingpledge.org.
Mr Buffet pledged 99% of his
money in 2006 to the Bill &
Melinda Gates Foundation and
family charities.
Bill and Melinda Gates have also
given away more than $28bn
(£17.6bn) to their own
foundation.
US billionaires
pledge 50% of their
wealth to charity
Microsoft founder Bill Gates
started the campaign along with
investor Warren Buffet
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Mobinga: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2010
Nigerian Billionaires Pledge Love and Moral Support to Charity. cheesy grin
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by ezeagu(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2010
Mobinga:

If even, Nigerian billionaires donate funds into their accounts from charity is more like it.
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 04, 2010
practically impossible for most nigerian billionaires to give back, since most of em have their fortunes based on patronage rather than actual business acumen - they do their giving back to their patrons/mentors - society can go to hell
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 04, 2010
that is nice of them, by the time i becomes the world richest, i hope i will be able to do thesame
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Kobojunkie: 1:03am On Aug 05, 2010
When I read what Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates did, the Nigerian in me asked God why he would give all that to people who only end up giving it all away . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by ezeagu(m): 1:58am On Aug 05, 2010
odiaero:

that is nice of them, by the time i becomes the world richest, i [size=15pt]hope[/size] i will be able to do thesame

grin Change we can believe in? Or you'll just keep the change? grin
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by MaziUche0(m): 2:00am On Aug 05, 2010
I think there is a such thing as too much money.

These people have more than enough money to give away and still make sure there family and the next generations are taken care for life.
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 05, 2010
ezeagu:

grin Change we can believe in? Or you'll just keep the change? grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by philip0906(m): 9:26am On Aug 05, 2010
yh. . .d more blood,d more money.use 'em as baits 2 make more wealth tongue
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 05, 2010
odiaero:

that is nice of them, by the time i becomes the world richest, i hope i will be able to do thesame
typical nigeria man always HOPING even in the midst of abundance.i believe there are nigeria money-robber politicians who can compete with these men but they would rather keep the money in foreign banks at the expense of the poor.very wrong people. . .
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by martinosi: 8:58pm On Aug 06, 2010
hmmm
Re: Us Billionaires Pledge 50% Of Wealth To Charity by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 06, 2010
Mobinga:

ROTFLMAO  cheesy cheesy cheesy Nah, Love and Moral support was never theirs to give away. Maybe "corruption and greed"

(1) (Reply)

Tuface Vs Banky W. Whose The Best? / Nigerian Governor Ransacked For Fake Dollars / Presidency Denies Gusau’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.