Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Damilola's Killers Goes Free After Four Years - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Damilola's Killers Goes Free After Four Years (726 Views)

Did You Know That All Osama Bin Laden's Killers Are Now Dead? / US Airforce Unveils S-400 Missile Killers. / Berlusconi Sentenced To Four Years In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Damilola's Killers Goes Free After Four Years by manmustwac(m): 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2010
One of the brothers who killed Damilola Taylor is to be freed next month, it has been revealed today.

Rickie Preddie, 23, is due for release less than four years after being given an eight-year jail sentence for manslaughter.

Damilola, 10, bled to death after being stabbed with a broken bottle on a Peckham council estate, in south London, in November 2000.

Rickie Preddie was 13 at the time and his brother Danny, who was 12, is due to be released next year.

The death of the schoolboy at the hands of two members of a violent gang which terrorised the area caused a national outcry.

Sentencing the brothers, the Old Bailey judge said neither had shown any regret or remorse.

Damilola's father Richard today condemned the release, saying Preddie had not spent long enough in prison to be able to reform, and spoke of his fear that he would wreak new 'havoc'.

Mr Taylor, 62, said his main aim now was to secure lasting reforms to combat knife and gang crime that would provide a fitting legacy for his son and ensure that the 'sacrifice' of his life was not in vain.

He added: 'I'm very disappointed because I haven't been told anything. I hope that they have reformed, but I know that they've had access to communication with their friends from the past.'

'Such a short time in prison is not enough after such a heinous crime,' said Mr Taylor, who set up the Damilola Taylor Trust in the wake of his son's death to combat youth violence by promoting positive role models.

'It is just going to add to all the pain that I have suffered. But what I want now is to ensure that other young lives are not lost and that changes are made to offer positive opportunities to young people that will leave a proper legacy for my son.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300314/Damilola-Taylor-killer-walk-free-month--despite-serving-years-bars.html#ixzz0vf98lwRS

Convicted: Rickie Preddie (top picture) will be released next month while his brother Danny is due to be released next year

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300314/Damilola-Taylor-killer-walk-free-month--despite-serving-years-bars.html#ixzz0vfARgpr0

Re: Damilola's Killers Goes Free After Four Years by ElRazur: 9:40am On Aug 06, 2010
When you have some elements of the Black community and ethnic minority unwilling to help the police when it is needed, couple with sentencing laws that are seen as a bit lenient, then this will happen.

The police had little to go on during the time of the murder, and the witness they relied on showed in court she is not reliable. So it ain't no surprise, they got handed such sentences that may be perceived as lenient. Also, the UK prison system appears to run a weird calendar system, where a day spent in prison equates to two days and hence why most of this long term sentences are spent in about half of the length.

(1) (Reply)

OBAMA SHOCKER!! Israeli Science Website Proves Birth Cert Forgery! / Man Conpensated With $22m For Drink-driving: 7.3.13 / Photos: Dead Man Resurrects In Kumasi, Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.