Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:25 AM

Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. (14622 Views)

Why Is Sacrifice Made Before Burying Someone That Drowned? / Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living In Some Parts Of N / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Uploadme(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2018
Op this questions are best answered by Christians don't you think undecided
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by chloride6: 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2018
My grandma died recently..

And usual the family is planning to outspend it's self.

I have told my mum to pick any primary school she likes.

When you die I'll donate a block of classrooms. No money to waste.

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by mvem(m): 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
The thing that annoys me most about nigerian funerals is the crazy drumming and dancing after the burial!! i still prefer the foreign style of funerals, everbody on black, pastor prays,short message preached, the person is buried, flowers are laid to show love and respect to the deceased, highest they share bottle water, well wishers console the family and everyone goes home.
...the Jewish and Islamic one sure pass... In less than 3 days the dead is buried very quickly... Just mourning....our burials in the southern Nigeria sometimes can be mistaken as wedding... And the deceased children pay so much to honor certain rights and this are people that are struggling
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by seunH: 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2018
okwabayi:
Na cremation sure pass.
I wonder what will happen to the cremated during rapture, judgement day or whatever Christians believe will occur. Do their bodies form back from nothing?
Bad as e be, atleast there would still be 1/100000000 specules of particles left from a cremated body for God to use as a template for resurrecting our bodies, now compare it with when we were nothing I mean empty vacuum (0.0000000) and yet we were brought into existence, my brother with one do you feel would/was easier for God?

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by blackboy(m): 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2018
No culture holds me down. If it can be done i do it. I buried my mum and the way i did it almost caused ww3 but mine was i dont want ni hypocrite nor backstaber nor fale wailer around. Wanted it solemn and private. You live once. The dead dont feel love

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by IYANGBALI: 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2018
Na so

SHE SAY NA 5 ROUNDS BUT I DON DO 2 MY EYES DO TURN WAT SHOULD I DO
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Axis313(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2018
It's just a waste of money,in the south-west here,my people love owambe/parties like wedding,naming ceremonies,housewarming,graduation,freedom ceremonies,even the useless ones like burial ceremonies(7 days,40 days,final burial ceremonies),even they even throw parties to turn the sides of their dead parents that has been buried and forgotten for the last 10,20 years.
Those things are just frivolities that have no impact on the dead.
I did my youth service in the north,katsina state,in a town called faskari to be precise,throughout my one year in that town,when anybody is confirm dead,the corpse will be carried to the cemetary that isn't far from our lodge then,the janazah prayer will be conducted,the corpse buried,then the sympathizers will disperse to continue their life.Nothing again like burial ceremony,the dead is dead and they have done their religious obligations to him,the remaining is left between him/her and his/her Creator according to his/her deeds in this life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Uploadme(m): 5:15pm On Dec 21, 2018
12345baba:
One of the reasons I wish I was a northerner

E be like say you never travel go north before grin grin
Even northern Christians do such things bros.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by sacx: 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
Unnecessary expense. I'm still trying to understand the rationale behind killing a full cow and eating during a funeral.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 5:25pm On Dec 21, 2018
mvem:
...the Jewish and Islamic one sure pass... In less than 3 days the dead is buried very quickly... Just mourning....our burials in the southern Nigeria sometimes can be mistaken as wedding... And the deceased children pay so much to honor certain rights and this are people that are struggling
Nna the money spent on Nigerian funerals amazes me, last year when a relative died, a rich politician who is also my relative gave 100k for d burial, truth is that he would not even give u 10naira on a Good day. We seriously need a cultural rev. About the way we spend on funerals!!
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by MrFly(m): 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2018
Afrikans brainwashed in every sphere of life. Tradition ko tradition ni

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by coldFLARES1(m): 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2018
The culture of excessive spending during burial is a cause for worry, especially at financial timed like we are in.

I lost two mothers -my mom and paternal grand mother - last year and for reasons bothering on fulfilling customs and meeting the conditions spelt by their families, had to bury them this year. I had to borrow!

My joy is cutting on a lotta extravagance while fulfilling the conditions stipulated. For example, for my mom's, an ankara uniform did it while I ensured I didn't rent a vehicle to transport anyone to her village. I told whoever seemed to care to make the sacrifices of transporting themselves if they really loved her/me. On the part of my favourite grandma, unfortunately I had to only make my financial contributions and allow those in that had bigger stakes to bury her.

Frankly, when I think burials, I envy the Muslims. They are absolutely sensible in that department. grin

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by masterfactor(m): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
cremation is the best
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by gulfer: 6:12pm On Dec 21, 2018
So na your villageman be that oyinbo pasor
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Asquare84(m): 6:36pm On Dec 21, 2018
This not common in northern part of Nigerian
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by ikezuora4689(m): 6:39pm On Dec 21, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
The thing that annoys me most about nigerian funerals is the crazy drumming and dancing after the burial!! i still prefer the foreign style of funerals, everbody on black, pastor prays,short message preached, the person is buried, flowers are laid to show love and respect to the deceased, highest they share bottle water, well wishers console the family and everyone goes home.
because it's being done by white people....free yourself from mental slavery....if it's the white people practicing our own style of burial....and we are doing there own....u wil still complain....we need to free ourself from mental slavery..
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by kherlly(m): 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
I'm so tired for the practice but am happy that where I come from we don't try such and my wife I told her from the start and she's OK with it just to avoid unnecessary drama later in future.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by barinedan(m): 7:05pm On Dec 21, 2018
The most annoying thing is that, some may fall sick and need small amount of money to survive but no one, not even his close relatives will assist him or her, but when the person dies, millions of naira will be spent on expensive casket and other wasteful ventures. I just wished the death could act

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by amakadihot87(f): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
okwabayi:
Na cremation sure pass.
I wonder what will happen to the cremated during rapture, judgement day or whatever Christians believe will occur. Do their bodies form back from nothing?
listen to yourself........the buried ones nko?don't they turn to nothing after a long period of time
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by InvertedHammer: 8:13pm On Dec 21, 2018
/
If there is anything that involves wasting money, count Nigerians in.

Money is alien to them. Most of them don't understand it neither do they understand how it works.

Perhaps it could be because they live for the moment since the future appears gloomy.
/

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by 0monnak0da: 8:19pm On Dec 21, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
It is not crazy .
As long as people do what they can afford there is nothing wrong with our tradition.

Drumming and dancing is an excellent reflection of the African mindset,worldview and religion which captures ideas of what happens to the deceased after death . It does not matte whether it is real or not any more that what your so called pastor is preaching is real or not.

In the one culture they go for the doom and gloom of black while in the other they go for bright colours at least we all agree that we should not cook and eat the body of the deceased
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by iceboy4752(m): 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2018
I think we should start a social media campaign against this primitive practice. It is so rampant in the south that I grew up thinking it is not unconnected to the Christian faith.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Promotersparlou: 3:38am On Dec 22, 2018
Johnchizoba:
QUESTIONING THE ILLUSION OF BURYING THE DEAD IN SOME PART OF NIGERIA

Why do people spend much money during funerals? Why do we honour people more when they are dead than when they were alive? We build houses, we re-paint the old house, we repair the Zinc, we build more rooms and repair the damaged toilet and do some other things where as when this gentle man and woman was alive, you could not afford to give him/her one naira to buy drug to get himself or herself treated. On that day when he/she is dead, you kill the fattest cow, you gather the whole bags of rice in Nigeria, you make the whole village bubble in joy of things to eat and those to drink. What happen to this money when this man or woman was alive? Why don't you collect this loan to treat him/her? Why don't you create an oportunitunity to celebrate him/her? What kind of honour do you want to give him/her in the grave? We are all hypocrites!

I grew up seeing things. Things that made me want to lose myself into the ocean of thought. Things that left me in dire need of someone to talk to. Things that were abnormal when weigh from left to right and back and forth. There are those I think of changing and those I think I would never change and those things I am fighting desperately to change.

I grew up in a city where every year or every December period, people gather their deads to be buried in the village or nearby where they deem it fit for them to be buried. Some were buried in Aba Cemetery while others were taken to the village to be buried.

Then in Aba, everywhere is being covered by funeral posters from October to November. Those who want to bury their dead ones in December and those who wants to bury theirs by Easter start posting the posters around January or February just to create awareness to family members and friends and relations. It is more like the politicians who made a law in the country to avoid people pasting posters on walls of the cities and end up posting their election posters during their campaigns.

I grew up seeing posters everywhere in the cities of Abia state and its environs. I grew up trying to understand why it was like that but no one was there to explain to me. Some of these posters read "Gone so soon" "painful Exist" Transition to glory" "Glorious Home call" and so many write ups. I grew up learning that the only time family members, those you've not seen for a thousand years, come home was only when someone very important died in the family and his or her funeral is fixed by Christmas period or Easter.

My village decided to give time for this burials/funeral. Sometimes it could be from 20th of December to 29th and more than that. Then, other dates could be for Weddings and other ceremonies so that those that came to the village during Christmas to rest would still have time to rest. Although, in Nkporo kind of settings, there is nobody travelling to the Village during Christmas period to rest, you either have one family meeting to attend, or funeral /burial ceremonies , weddings or other things like that that engage you through out this period. You don't go to the village during Christmas period to rest, you go there to exhaust yourself the more. That is how it goes. As a result of this, many don't travel or fix their ceremonies during Christmas period because, it is full of ceremonies, things become more expensive, the roads become too busy and many more things happen during this festive period.

It's a good thing to pay the last respect to the dead, it is good to honour them but if you did not honour them while they were alive, why honour them in death? Why spend much money and time organising how they will be committed to mother earth? Is this not insanity? I have gone to a burial ceremony where a man was buried with a car and chains of gold but when he was alive he never driven any car as such. He never wore any chain of gold on his neck, no, he never did. Some of us are hypocrites!

I have gone to a burial also where the woman was buried with a golden casket. There were up to fifteen canopies all over the place. Seven cows were killed. Her children came from home and abroad to bury her but when this woman was alive and was admitted in the hospital, I could remember that money was the issue for her treatment because her first son visited our family for money, it was lack of money that killed her. It was heartbreaking when I travelled down to the village for her burial to see how things went. Where did this money for this luxurious burial come from?

We are all victims of this, there are those people we never raised a pin for until when they are dead, you'll start looking for how to honour them. You borrow money here and there in the name of paying your last respect! Why don't you love or show them love when they were alive? There are those people out there that we never cared about, we never visited, we never showed mercy but when they are dead, we go extra mile to make sure we honour them or give them a befitting burial, those things they never had when they were alive. Are you not a hypocrite?

Love people and show them that you love them that is the best part of humanity. that us the best part of being a human! Love me when I'm alive not in death.

©John Chizoba Vincent
#LiquidWords.

It's because we've distorted our true African understanding for what a burial stands for. Now, many just see it as a means to show off the wealth of a family. The same opportunity a marriage may present.

In Igbo culture for example, the food and drinks were provided by the umunna so as to feed themselves and friends, and age-grade of the deceased during the mourning period. It wasn't proper for them to continue farming as they mourned their lost loved ones. This is basically where the unnatural concept of a burial party graduated into our African beliefs after our association with Christianity and westernized mentality.

I did enjoy your article. Do read up.
https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=Spearepoetry&search=Search

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by AlfaAce(m): 7:43am On Dec 22, 2018
The way Nigerians celebrate burials ehn,You would think the deceased resurrected.
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by Greatzeus(m): 9:16am On Dec 22, 2018
The Bible said let your moderation be known to all,give your loved ones a befitting burial,but don't let it be an avenue to showcase your wealth. That's why I like deeper life,they do everything in moderation. Naming ceremony,burial etc
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by 12345baba(m): 11:27am On Dec 22, 2018
Uploadme:

E be like say you never travel go north before grin grin
Even northern Christians do such things bros.
I live in the north . north Christians don't spend much for there burials. Am an in-law to them too . they don't even wait for more than two weeks to bury there dead unless on a peculiar case, its even there extended families that provide the little food people eat there. Research well

1 Like

Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by ponti93(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2018
Its already written in my will, that i be cremated and my ashes spread out to the winds at a beach, or be used to smoke pot grin i dnt want to be 6ft under
Re: Questioning The Illusion Of Burying The Dead In Some Part Of Nigeria. by ugnoble: 7:25pm On Dec 22, 2018
Funny enough, i've talked about this with my parents and siblings one time(sought of an argument). I told my parents burial here is just a waste of time and resources and that if I die today, I love to be buried immediately or at most 3days, which was normally how it used to be(with the reason being that ones kinsmen needed to see and confirm his/her demise, but it shouldn't pass that time frame.)

For instance, a mother to one of my anambra friend (can't really tell which part and I don't know if its a general norm ) died and she was buried immediately and some years later ceremony was done on her behalf (perhaps they succumbed to side talks sha)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amusat laleye Dusin Kidnapped In Osun / PHOTOS: Virgin Ladies Flaunt Bare Boobs At A Festival In Rivers State (18+) / When Problems Are Spiritual....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.