Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Obasanjo Blasts Senators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Blasts Senators (1015 Views)

Obasanjo Blasts Senators In Letter To The Senate / Tonto Dikeh Blasts Senators- Vanguard. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Blasts Senators by madu101: 10:27am On Aug 05, 2010
Obasanjo blasts senators
Thursday, August 05, 2010

Obasanjo
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday accused the National Assembly of being a burden to the nation’s lean purse.
According to him, the amount being spent in maintaining the federal lawmakers is draining the nation’s resources and should be checked immediately.
Indeed, the former president said it was difficult to understand how much precisely a senator takes home yearly in the name of constituency projects. He warned that something must be done about this if the fledging democracy is to be sustained.

The chairman of Board of Trustees of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) spoke during a one-day retreat organised for the Niger State senior civil servants by the state government.
At the retreat themed: Strategising to Re-invigorate Niger State for the Achievement of Vision 3:2020, Chief Obasanjo noted that Nigeria could not afford to have a National Assembly that is corrupt and consuming a disproportional part of the nation’s resources.

“We should look closely at the legislature so that they can be more open and transparent in the way they do their work. Nobody knows in detail how much it costs us to maintain a senator. I believe it is more than N250 million. Compare what it cost in 1999 and 2000, it cost about $1.7 million compared to a quarter of a million in America,  They came up and say something is constituency project, what is this constituency project? They insert it in the budget, they would find the contractor and the contractor would work for them, that is constituency project? They then accuse some people of corruption, who is not corrupt?

“Now let us talk truly and seriously to ourselves; we can’t continue to have a National Assembly that is consuming a disproportional part of our resources and then expect that we would be able to make progress. They pass budget that can’t be implemented, because it has to be beefed up to satisfy their whims and caprices. Even what the ministries did not ask for they put it,” Obasanjo said.

Fielding questions from the participants who included the state executive council members, state assembly members and other top government officials on the difference between military and democratic governance, Obasanjo pointed out that democracy as practised in Nigeria was costly and cumbersome. He said for Nigeria to progress, leaders must discharge their duties with every sense of responsibility without tribal or religious sentiments.

The State governor, Muazu Babagida Aliyu, in his own comment commended the former president for his style of leadership during his eight years rule, saying he did his best to deliver the dividend of democracy and treated every Nigerian based on merit
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by madu101: 10:30am On Aug 05, 2010
Like many nairalanders, i am very disturbed when i read news item like this.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by philip0906(m): 10:37am On Aug 05, 2010
Its only in nigeria,a thief will be roaming d streets free and accusing others of stealing. . .sick country undecided
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by miketobo: 4:10pm On Aug 05, 2010
Obasanjo is above the law in Nigeria so he has the right to say anything or do anything!!!!!hahahahha too bad.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by chidichris(m): 11:50am On Aug 08, 2010
char coal calling kettle black. obj's second name is corruption.
his regime made nigeria a very corrupt country.
his 2007 selection(election) was the worst in the history of man.
he slept with his own daughter inlaw.
he killed two villages - one in bayelsa and one in benue.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by EzeUche22(m): 1:47pm On Aug 08, 2010
He has some nerve. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. He probably stole more than the senators will ever do combined. Foolish man. angry
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by mazaje(m): 2:12pm On Aug 08, 2010
Shut up OBJ. . . . . .
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2010
have state government pay them 300k each instead!!
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by Lawalemi(m): 2:58pm On Aug 08, 2010
Anyhow you look at it, these senators need to be told the truth. Next should be the solution.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by redsun(m): 3:27pm On Aug 08, 2010
A house divided against itself cannot stand.The time of corrupt and retarded nigerian politcians is up,what is missing at this moment is the right person that will make the right moves to bring to them book and banish them into eternal dungeon where they belong.

Nigerians should wake up from the deep slumber and take their places as humans in animal kingdom.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by invisible2(m): 3:30pm On Aug 08, 2010
Foolish people, instead of staying on the points he raised you are here casting aspertions to his person. Were you not here when he ruled and you kept mute like donkeys, only to call him names now he is saying the obvious truth. By the time these senators are done looting us, you guys will become annoyed in the next 10 years.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by marcus1234: 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by udezue(m): 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2010
I will love to pour hot burning oil down that man's throat. What was he doing about it when he was in power for 8 years?
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by oderemo(m): 6:16pm On Aug 08, 2010
@marcus1234,
am very sorry , you are becoming annoying with your monosyllabic replies.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by bkbabe97y(m): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2010
invisible!:

Foolish people, instead of staying on the points he raised you are here casting aspertions to his person. Were you not here when he ruled and you kept mute like donkeys, only to call him names now he is saying the obvious truth. By the time these senators are done looting us, you guys will become annoyed in the next 10 years.

Well, thats just how Ibos are for you. Crabs! Always averse to the truth!
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by EzeUche22(m): 7:04pm On Aug 08, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Well, thats just how Ibos are for you. Crabs! Always averse to the truth!

“Por qué no te callas!”. -King Juan Carlos
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by bkbabe97y(m): 7:21pm On Aug 08, 2010
EzeUche22:

And this means what in ibo? you gonna eat me for dinner?
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by luka1981(m): 8:04pm On Aug 08, 2010
but that is not ibo language
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by EzeUche22(m): 8:54pm On Aug 08, 2010
bk.babe97y:

And this means what in ibo? you gonna eat me for dinner?

It is Espanol you fraud. It means "Why don't you shut up?" Something the King of Spain said to Hugu Chavez of Spain. Mehn you suck at languages.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 08, 2010
Have the state govt pay them instead of federal with governors deciding how much they will be paid (less than 500k/month). That

Yo BK you were right about Montreal's filles they are Chaude,  They speak English though more than I expected though. I prefer the aggressive sounding French language coming from a chaud filles any day.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by marvix(m): 10:36pm On Aug 08, 2010
As much as i dislike Obj, but he is speaking the truth here, I think what some one has said is very correct, state govs should pay its federal representatives and they should be placed on a salary scale in their respective civil service, then they would be more interested in workers agitation and when they feel that they need an increase it would translate to an increase in govt workers pay.
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by bkbabe97y(m): 9:04am On Aug 09, 2010
EzeUche22:

luka1981:

but that is not ibo language

EzeUche22:

It is Espanol you fraud. It means "Why don't you shut up?" Something the King of Spain said to Hugu Chavez of Spain. Mehn you suck at languages.

You really are a fool,Ezeuche! A statement that reverberated all over the Hispanic world is what this Ibo monkey is trying to teach me! The sarcasm flew right over your head and waaay over the moon. So u thot, even for a nano second, that I thought Juan (which is one of my middle names by the way) was somehow an Ibo name. lol. hahahahahaha.lol King Juan Carlos of Abia in Biafra.lol. Dummy. . . . or dummies. . . . . .

Wow!
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by bkbabe97y(m): 9:09am On Aug 09, 2010
9jaganja:

Yo BK you were right about Montreal's filles they are Chaude,  They speak English though more than I expected though. I prefer the aggressive sounding French language coming from a chaud filles any day.

Lol. Fxcuk around and one of them ho's will have u on lock! They love Americans! If u go to, say, Quebec City, Laval, Cornwall. . . motherfuxckas understand English but will only converse with you in French; theyll pretend all they like they dont speak english!
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by iswell1(m): 12:49pm On Aug 10, 2010
godfather
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by Pukkah: 8:18pm On Aug 10, 2010
For now, let's excuse the messenger and ponder the message: the cost of maintaining the federal legislature is exorbitant! The Senate President is on a salary of N83m per month while the Deputy Senate President goes home with N50m every month.

Apart from scaling these outrageous bills down, why can't we have a single house instead of both the Senate and House of Reps?
Re: Obasanjo Blasts Senators by dipotech: 10:49am On Aug 11, 2010
Whether we believe what Obasanjo is saying here or not as regards these people allowances or salaries, the fact still remains that these so called Senators and the honorables are just looting the treasury everyday. Their salaries are outrageous and sincerely is uncalled for. What laws are they passing for God sake?

Let pray unto God (as many that believe in prayers) for deliverance, these people are ready to finish the country if possible. The situation is aggravating day in day out.

(1) (Reply)

Prof Dora Akunyili Lobbies Atiku For Vice Presidential Slot / Court To Hear Bode George’s Appeal On October 25 ! / Say No To Atiku And Ibb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.