Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport (743 Views)

Suspect Excretes 113 Wraps Of Cocaine Worth ₦423 Million At Lagos Airport / Customs Seizes $8 Million At Lagos International Airport / Wire Fraud: Emmanuel Mong Arrested At Airport While Trying To Flee US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by yns4real: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Enugu Zonal Office, on Thursday, December 20, 2018, intercepted $2.8million (Two Million, Eight Hundred Thousand United State Dollars), from two people, suspected to be money launderers, at Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu.

The suspects, namely Ighoh Augustine and Ezekwe Emmanuel, allegedly working for a company: Bankers Warehouse, were nabbed based on intelligence report.

Upon their arrests, they were caught with consignments of two suitcases, containing $1.4 million each, totalling $2.8 million, at the departure lounge of the airport while about to board an Arik Air evening flight to Lagos.

During interrogation, the suspects confessed that they have been in the business of conveying cash for "some notable banks", for over six years and were in the process of doing same for Union Bank Plc, located at New Market, Onitsha, Anambra State, when they were caught.

The suspects further confessed that they had so far carried out such assignments, "four times this year".

They are presently giving useful information to operatives of the Commission, and will be charged to court soon.

https://m.facebook.com/officialefcc/posts/2114789778543501?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by sholatech(m): 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
What makes people think they can carry such huge funds in cash by air? Most countries they travelling to will pick it on arrival with their scanners.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Agritech(m): 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2018
Hope it is not Atiku campaign fund

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Younghacka(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2018
Well to be perfectly honest, this is just my opinion, without offending anyone who might think differently. From my point of view, looking at this with a different perspective and without condemning anyone's view's or by trying to objectify them, while considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestyly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Mutemenot(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2018
If the money is from a legal source, they should be allowed to go free. They aren't going out of the country

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by GOFRONT(m): 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2018
See yams

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by docadams: 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
Hmmmm
Laundering money for Union bank. How is that possible? A visit by SARS is imperative.
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Racoon(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
shocked
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by docadams: 4:18pm On Dec 21, 2018
Mutemenot:
If the money is from a legal source, they should be allowed to go free. They aren't going out of the country

As an individual, you are not allowed to be in possession of more than N5m in cash outside of a banking premises. Anything in excess of that is money laundering

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by oyebanji44: 4:22pm On Dec 21, 2018
EFCC will be embraced collectively for this wonderful job..
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Blackfire(m): 4:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
To carry money na crime
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2018
Mutemenot:
No body is stopping anybody from carrying any amount, but you must declare it. If you don't declare it and you are caught ...it becomes an issue.

Let me go...

Just received my biggest alert for the year as am typing now....God Bless you and your family as He has blessed me
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by trueconscience(m): 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2018
They were staff of Bankers Warehouse, caught on their way Out of Nigeria? No? On their way to Lagos, right? There seem to be NOTHING wrong with this as it has happened to me.

I remember my previous office/job while moving foreign currencies to our Head Office at Lagos with my Superior Officer, we were to board a flight at the same Akanu Ibiam Airport at Enugu ( this was when the airport was being renovated). I noticed a man was hovering around us and the next thing, he came and quietly sat beside me and showed me his ID that he works with the SSS.

He made inquiries about what we were carrying and to where and we told him. He asked if Our Bank was aware of this and we said yes however he demanded a confirmation from my Bank that they sent us.

My Superior detailed some of our branch staff to go to their office to confirm the genuineness of our movement and after this we were allowed to go. Lest I forget, he SSS guy was doing "Oga Sir"for us and we finally did some "shake bodying"

This practice of moving cash is not new and I dont see it as money laundry. Anyone with better information as to why it is money laundry?

Union Bank will NEVER engage in unlawful acts.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by SingleWahala(f): 4:46pm On Dec 21, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Mutemenot(m): 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2018
myboy2111:

No body is stopping anybody from carrying any amount, but you must declare it. If you don't declare it and you are caught ...it becomes an issue.

Let me go...

Just received my biggest alert for the year as am typing now....God Bless you and your family as He has blessed me

God bless you too. It's confirmed to be legit .
https://www.nairaland.com/4918870/union-bank-bankers-warehouse-reply
Re: EFCC Intercepts $2.8 Million At Airport by Mutemenot(m): 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2018
docadams:

As an individual, you are not allowed to be in possession of more than N5m in cash outside of a banking premises. Anything in excess of that is money laundering

https://www.nairaland.com/4918870/union-bank-bankers-warehouse-reply

(1) (Reply)

Man Shoots Wife, Parents Over Sex Tape With His Best Friend / Lagos: Family Of Slain LASTMA Officer Gets Compensation / Police Officer Shoots Man Dead In Lagos Because Of N200(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.