Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu (39853 Views)

Nigerian Man In Libya Defrauds More Than 30 Fellow Nigerians, Caught / $2.8m Seized At Enugu Airport: Court Backs EFCC (photo) / Man Who Destroyed Akanu Ibiam Statue In Ebonyi, Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by warrior13: 9:04pm On Dec 21, 2018
overall90:
EFCC and this APC government is very useless.
they just want to use this guys to shine.
i just learnt that Bankers warehouse is registered entity that most banks use to move money by air as against using bullion vans.
now they have revealed these guys faces there by exposing them to kidnappers.i hope this guys sue their ass.

When this news broke, I laughed at how quick we are with breaking news in this country. Quack journalism!
Many banks have outsourced cash movement to BW and even before then banks ALWAYS use flight for cash movement across geopolitical zones. How on earth do we want them to move this cash via road transport in this insane country. I have been involved in CIT operations and know how dangerous the job is and for this idiots to have exposed this guys to the public like is very unfortunate. Even the boxes are CIT boxes. The Security guys should have asked questions before inviting the press.

Meanwhile Vanguard has quickly pulled down the news after discovering the error in the report. Bankers Warehouse when sueing please include them because I saw it on their site before anywhere else.

3 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by bizzibodi(m): 9:07pm On Dec 21, 2018
Auxtin85:

Oga lecturer, even if he has immunity is that why nobody is talking about it? Yet he belong to the party that claim they have zero tolerance for corruption
Will they,will we spent all our days & life talking about it,don't we have other matters to worry about?
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by duni04(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
Hedonini:

Have you endeavoured to educate yourself? If yes, then answer this...

Is carrying out cash transactions over a certain limit the same thing as HAVING CASH over a certain limit? Does any law prescribe a limit to the amount of cash you can HOLD? So if you see Davido with N100m in cash, will you arrest him, and if not, why not?

Is there anything in this report that suggests that these two gentlemen were carrying out a TRANSACTION? They were simply seen with cash. Now, for this to be money laundering, then it has to be established that the money was illegally acquired. The mere fact of holding that amount of cash isn't money laundering in itself!

So what exactly will the EFCC charge them to court for? Money laundering? How? You see how useless and incompetent our law enforcement agencies are? Wasting tax payers money on stupid cases.
MONEY LAUNDERING (PROHIBITION) ACT, 2011

An Act to repeal the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2004 and enact the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011; and for related matters.

ENACTED by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

PART I – PROHIBITION OF MONEY LAUNDERING

Limitation to make or accept cash payment.

1. No person or body corporate shall, except in a transaction through a financial institution, make or accept cash payment of a sum exceeding –

(a) N5,000,000.00 or its equivalent, in the case of an individual; or

(b) N10,000,000.00 or its equivalent in the case of a body corporate.

Bros If Davido is moving around with N100million, does he expect to travel to heaven with the money? He will obviously make transactions with the money. The axt says make or accept! Whoever it was that even paid him the money will be in contravention of the law. He will be in breach of anti money laundering laws if he transacts any business with that money. But the authorities can even prempt him and arrest him for attempting to spend money above the limit without passing through a financial institution.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by bizzibodi(m): 9:10pm On Dec 21, 2018
ItsMeAboki:
You open airport them and they immediately start abusing it.
All that money should be forfeited and the bank appropriately sanctioned.
They have been wailing now d govt give them an airport they turn it to money laundering & hard drugs hub.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by overall90: 9:11pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

Bros i suggest you Google our anti money laundering laws before you embarrass yourself further.
If you are caught or apprehended with money above a certain limit - Irrespective of the purpose of that money, for transactions or celebrations, whatever! You are in breach of the anti money laundering laws and you can be apprehended and prosecuted.

stop basking in ignorance and get yourself enlightened.
for a case to be qualified as money laundering anywhere in the world,they cash have to be proven to be illegally acquired.
we have a lot o CIT companies that help banks move money around all over the world,are you now saying they are all into money laundering because of the amount of cash involved.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by duni04(m): 9:12pm On Dec 21, 2018
overall90:

stop basking in ignorance and get yourself enlightened.
for a case to be qualified as money laundering anywhere in the world,they cash have to be proven to be illegally acquired.
we have a lot o CIT companies that help banks move money around all over the world,are you now saying they are all into money laundering because of the amount of cash involved.
Don't embarrass yourself! Read!

An Act to repeal the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2004 and enact the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011; and for related matters.

1. No person or body corporate shall, except in a transaction through a financial institution, make or accept cash payment of a sum exceeding –

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Charly68: 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2018
Magu will use you to score a point to the nonsensical senator s who refused to confirm his appointment
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by overall90: 9:23pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

smh.
i would like to know from the story the transaction and the cash payments that was taking place or about to take place and the person or corporate body involved.thanks
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by warrior13: 9:24pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

Chief compliance Officer weldone. But this is not a case of money laundering but gross ignorance on the part of the security guys. Bankers Warehouse is an aauthorized Cash in Transit company and has been moving cash for Banks for years. It is a legitimate business please.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by overall90: 9:25pm On Dec 21, 2018
warrior13:

When this news broke, I laughed at how quick we are with breaking news in this country. Quack journalism!
Many banks have outsourced cash movement to BW and even before then banks ALWAYS use flight for cash movement across geopolitical zones. How on earth do we want them to move this cash via road transport in this insane country. I have been involved in CIT operations and know how dangerous the job is and for this idiots to have exposed this guys to the public like is very unfortunate. Even the boxes are CIT boxes. The Security guys should have asked questions before inviting the press.

Meanwhile Vanguard has quickly pulled down the news after discovering the error in the report. Bankers Warehouse when sueing please include them because I saw it on their site before anywhere else.

thank you

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by ClearFlair: 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
BOOMnaija:
Pls can u remind me of their offence again?

Buhari and him dogs just dey fvck we corrupt people anyhow.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Slynation(m): 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2018
santopelele:
Just give me just 5mil naira, my life will never be the same.
BUT WAITOO! PLS SOMEBODY SHOULD EDUCATE ME, WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM AND THE MONEY?
U asking?? They will be released after a short period of time while the money will be re-loot.!!
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:36pm On Dec 21, 2018
bizzibodi:

They have been wailing now d govt give them an airport they turn it to money laundering & hard drugs hub.

Terrible ppl; you can never satisfy them.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by FRANKOSKI(m): 9:36pm On Dec 21, 2018
would have been easy to say that they work in bureu de change....
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by koboko69: 9:41pm On Dec 21, 2018
BOOMnaija:
Pls can u remind me of their offence again?

Buhari and him dogs just dey fvck this nation up anyhow.

How will u know their offence. No be typical PDP supporter u be?
Wetin una sabi pass to dey shout dullard?
When the real dullard na PDP supporters
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by santopelele(m): 9:44pm On Dec 21, 2018
AllenSpencer:

you cheap
SEE UR HEAD LIKE CHEAP
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by millionaireman: 9:58pm On Dec 21, 2018
IYANGBALI:
Igbo and monkey business

Igbo and Money business.

Say what you wanted to say.

Proudly Igbo!!!

Igbo don't depend on oyel money, not like others who struggle for political power for stealing oyel money.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by duni04(m): 9:59pm On Dec 21, 2018
warrior13:

Chief compliance Officer weldone. But this is not a case of money laundering but gross ignorance on the part of the security guys. Bankers Warehouse is an aauthorized Cash in Transit company and has been moving cash for Banks for years. It is a legitimate business please.
Lol
I can't type anything again!
If upon all the copy and paste I've done for you, you can still type this then all I can say is sorry for you!
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

Bros i suggest you Google our anti money laundering laws before you embarrass yourself further.
If you are caught or apprehended with money above a certain limit - Irrespective of the purpose of that money, for transactions or celebrations, whatever! You are in breach of the anti money laundering laws and you can be apprehended and prosecuted.

You're talking absolute nonsense young man.

Tell the average aboki or Igbo trader not to hold millions of Naira and USD, accumulated cash proceeds of his legitimate business. And tell him how the law you cited prohibits that.

Read my previous post, slowly. And then read the section of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act you cited, even slower, and then mark the difference between HOLDING cash beyond xyz and Making or receiving CASH PAYMENT beyond xyz....

If you can't grasp the critical contextual difference, then you're as dense as the EFCC that keeps arresting and prosecuting people with weak cases that can't secure convictions.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by duni04(m): 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2018
Hedonini:

You're talking absolute nonsense young man.

Tell the average aboki or Igbo trader not to hold millions of Naira and USD, accumulated cash proceeds of his legitimate business. And tell him how the law you cited prohibits that.

Read my previous post, slowly. And then read the section of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act you cited, even slower, and then mark the difference between HOLDING cash beyond xyz and Making or receiving CASH PAYMENT beyond xyz....

If you can't grasp the critical contextual difference, then you're as dense as the EFCC that keeps arresting and prosecuting people with weak cases that can't secure convictions.
Lol this is crass ignorance! I suggest you conduct an experiment and stash N5M in your car. Then notify the EFCC and argue with them as to whether holding or transacting differ. Those gentle men caught at the Airport were not transacting anything. They were in possession of an amount greater than the maximum allowed by law to be held or transacted as cash.
Please go and read or go and sleep if you have nothing else to say.
Thanks.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by themanderon: 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2018
Black man's cruelty to his fellow blacks. Imagine a Lebanese who committed the same crime was given super executive treatment by giving him a seat where he sat like a boss knowing nothing is happening but look at how they are treating their fellow Blacks that committed the same crime.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2018
Finally this story was not necessary.

This shows how inefficient our so-called security agencies are. They cannot differentiate legit from illegit money.

The boxes are even CIT boxes yet this happened.

I don't get upset when Nigeria is rubbished in International media because we caused it.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by tit(f): 11:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

LAFF wan tear my belle
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by warrior13: 11:47pm On Dec 21, 2018
duni04:

Lol
I can't type anything again!
If upon all the copy and paste I've done for you, you can still type this then all I can say is sorry for you!

Bros, copy and paste is actually the problem we have in this country. There is no problem in copying but kindly paste it in context not releasing quack breaking news Upandan. Your money laundering lecture is not for this audience or rather this context so paste wisely. See how copy and paste security agents just expose this innocent fellows to bad boys. Vanguard sef follow do copy and paste but them don delete am sharp sharp.

I no wan copy and paste anything for you just read about CBN licensed CIT operators before you sef stop one of those Bulion van say na moneylaundering.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by duni04(m): 11:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
warrior13:

Bros, copy and paste is actually the problem we have in this country. There is no problem in copying but kindly paste it in context not releasing quack breaking news Upandan. Your money laundering lecture is not for this audience or rather this context so paste wisely. See how copy and paste security agents just expose this innocent fellows to bad boys. Vanguard sef follow do copy and paste but them don delete am sharp sharp.

I no wan copy and paste anything for you just read about CBN licensed CIT operators before you sef stop one of those Bulion van say na moneylaundering.
Two guys with $1.4M each in suitcases at the Airport are apprehended. They claim to be staff of a company that transports cash.
There is a procedure for transporting cash through any means oga. Even if it's by air, it is concealed as cargo and transported discretely. No bank or organisation will risk sending a billion naira using 2 people in suitcases! Where is it ever done except in movies?
Please endeavour to laud progress in this fight against corruption. Yes criticise but criticise with sense and factually! Dont assume because you have seen an American movie where one man was transporting millions of dollars in a suitcase means its the norm in real life.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Burgerlomo: 2:16am On Dec 22, 2018
PurplePatch:
Cashless policy? Cash full politics.

These are Bullion vans in human form.

Bullion vans in human form grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by 2n2k(m): 4:10am On Dec 22, 2018
Hedonini:

Have you endeavoured to educate yourself? If yes, then answer this...

Is carrying out cash transactions over a certain limit the same thing as HAVING CASH over a certain limit? Does any law prescribe a limit to the amount of cash you can HOLD? So if you see Davido with N100m in cash, will you arrest him, and if not, why not?

Is there anything in this report that suggests that these two gentlemen were carrying out a TRANSACTION? They were simply seen with cash. Now, for this to be money laundering, then it has to be established that the money was illegally acquired. The mere fact of holding that amount of cash isn't money laundering in itself!

So what exactly will the EFCC charge them to court for? Money laundering? How? You see how useless and incompetent our law enforcement agencies are? Wasting tax payers money on stupid cases.

I am not the person you replied but I will like to know why then did South Africa seize our $9m at the airport? Afterall, Nigerian officials were just in possession of it at that point, they had not carried out any transaction.

Why do various countries Customs require passengers to declare any sum above $10,000 or equivalent at airports? They should wait till I transacted with the money now?
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Thatdopekelly(m): 6:09am On Dec 22, 2018
EmekaBlue:
Private too passes local check points.... just go by road with military excorts...Thats how its rolling

This money was urgently needed im sure thats y they used airline locally grin
Hanhan! Baba checkpoint for airplane? Two ooo. Hahahahaaha. Anyways thanks sha
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by ofwest47(m): 7:38am On Dec 22, 2018
The money is being brought to Abuja for the Looters party group aka PDP.
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Bhol28: 8:09am On Dec 22, 2018
Atiku's boys
Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by Electroweb(m): 8:17am On Dec 22, 2018
That is why CBN will keep on pumping the dollars into the system but cant track it.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerians Caught With $2.8m Cash At Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu by warrior13: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2018
duni04:

Two guys with $1.4M each in suitcases at the Airport are apprehended. They claim to be staff of a company that transports cash.
There is a procedure for transporting cash through any means oga. Even if it's by air, it is concealed as cargo and transported discretely. No bank or organisation will risk sending a billion naira using 2 people in suitcases! Where is it ever done except in movies?
Please endeavour to laud progress in this fight against corruption. Yes criticise but criticise with sense and factually! Dont assume because you have seen an American movie where one man was transporting millions of dollars in a suitcase means its the norm in real life.

I have over ten years experience working in a tier 1 bank and am still in the system. Everything is not politics and fighting Kwarraption my dear. It is procedural for 2 people to accompany the cash on board while the bullion van with security details wait for their arrival at the destination terminal. It's not all the time that cash movement goes with fanfare sometimes it is discreetly done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Angry Villagers Beat Armed Robber To Death In Bauchi (Graphic Photo) / Man Murders His Uncle In Anambra With Cutlass For Refusing To Help Him (Graphic) / Boko Haram Releases Photo Of Abducted Unimaid Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.