Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,776 members, 7,851,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:03 AM

Teaching Job: Can You Do It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Teaching Job: Can You Do It? (798 Views)

That Job Can Cause You Heart Disease / ''Your Job Can Make You Impotent'' / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Teaching Job: Can You Do It? by eyanpataki: 10:27am On Aug 06, 2010
It is a prevalent notion that Teachers are future shapers,
But the majority do not venture into it due to it slow salary or income
On this note, firstly they are right cos one would wonder why would a computer science graduate teaches and earns an average amount of 80,000 or 120,000 for secondary sch and university respectively, whereas those in the I.T. industry would earn twice as that for a start
secondly, if all the 1st class and 2ndclass students are diverted to the industry, then the schools and institutions would definitely be filled with the less preferred options,
what is the solution cos this problem tops the list of the causes of poor educational system in Nigeria
Before i proceed let me ask you
can you teach after a university or polytechnic degree? why? specify sec school or higher institutions
Re: Teaching Job: Can You Do It? by AjanleKoko: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2010
^^
It's not always about the salary and income, though that is a huge part of it. Government in Nigeria generally pays poorly, and there's no salary standardization.
The real issue with the teaching profession in Nigeria is the systematic value destruction undertaken by successive governments since the Buhari regime started it. There is very little investment in education by either federal or state governments. Rather, ex-leaders are falling over themselves to establish private institutions.
Just like I would not join the police force even if they paid $10k per month, same reason why I wouldn't want to be a teacher.

(1) (Reply)

Free Osha Training / Economics Students And Graduates Meets Here / University Course Ii:degrees Employers Hate And Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.