Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,535 members, 7,770,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:17 AM

Missing People At Christmas - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Missing People At Christmas (382 Views)

Hosting 3m People At Nyass Maulud In Zamfara Attracts Accolades / Adron Homes Felicitates With Nigerians At Christmas / The Entrepreneur Africa Set To Host 300 Business People At The Business Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Missing People At Christmas by lereinter(m): 11:04am On Dec 25, 2018
My heart ♥ goes out to Leah Sharibu and her family

. This piece is dedicated to them

Jehovah keep her safe. May she return to us safely and soonest

please your comment should only be a prayer for her...

Missing people: What it's like for families at Christmas

By Amanda CashmoreBBC News

BBC News

Not knowing where a loved one has gone is agonising on any day.

But perhaps no time is more difficult than Christmas for the families of missing people.

Billy Davies, from Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, went missing on 18 February, 1997 and his family still do not know what happened to him.

It was thought that the 16-year-old, who told his sister he wanted to join the Army, had waded into the River Cynon - despite his fear of water.

His sister, Michelle Davies, 49, said she received a phone call to say Mr Davies had not come home, and so went down to the river.

However, she could find no sign of him next to the water.

How family of missing Billy Davies cope at ChristmasExit player

"I picked a stick up and put it in the river - it ripped it out of my hand," she explained.

"He would never have gone in there, he was so afraid."

South Wales Police confirmed the case is still open but there were no new lines of enquiry.

Image copyright
Family handout

Mr Davies' niece, Anna Davies, 31, said Christmas was "broken" for the family.

"You make do with it, you do Christmas - you make the best of it, for the children that are around now," she said.

"It's supposed to be a happy time of the year isn't it, but it's that one seat missing… You're never going to get that back.

"You're sat there thinking what ifs, what could have been, and what would have been now."

Speaking of the effect it had on his mother, Jennifer, who passed away, Michelle Davies said: "Her life ended the day that Billy went missing."

Image caption Michelle Davies and Anna Davies shared what it is like for them over Christmas

Watching her mother struggle with the loss of her son during Christmas and New Year was painful for the family, with the tormented mother just wanting to be left alone.

Michelle Davies now believes her brother is dead, and has had his name engraved on their mother's tombstone.

She said she decided Mr Davies had died on his 18th birthday.

"I just stood in Porthcawl by the sea and I just broke down crying, thinking 'No, he would have been home by now'.

"He wouldn't have been away that long."

Having a family member vanish without a trace without knowing why is something that Bronwen Vearncombe has endured.

Image copyright
family handout

Her brother, Gomer Wyn-Roberts, was in his late 20s when he did not turn up to Bronwen's wedding in north Wales, where he was supposed to be an usher.

He had always been a free spirit, but his parents - who lived in Conwy - never heard from him again.

It was only years later when she was searching his name on Google when she saw an article announcing that he had died aged 53 in London, and his friends were looking for his family.

Ms Vearncombe, 54, who said Mr Wyn-Roberts died of natural causes, explained her disbelief when she read what had happened to her brother: "It was shocking actually.

"I think I'd always hoped that I would find him before we were old enough to be in that situation of dying."

Image copyright
family handout

Image copyright
family handout

Copyright © 2018 BBC

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Sam Adeyemi Caught Having Nice Time With Is Wife(picture), / See First Person To Use External Emoji On Nairaland / Bulk Whatsapp Message Sender

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.