Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,071 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently (3198 Views)

With A Capital Of N2M: Should I Relocate To Europe Or Open A Pharmacy In Nigeria / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2018
HELLO PLEASE I NEED YOUR ADVICE
I have always wanted to study medicine or pharmacy.tho thru d yrs ave been putting in for medicine.i didn't meet the cut off though I was close one year I was just 3marks away from the cut off.i had not gone for pharmacy cos I heard that u have to be very strong in chemistry calculations to study pharmacy and the truth is dat naturally am not dat good in calculations or maybe ave not had a good teacher but am very good at theory and very passionate about reading.i can read for hours and i have a sharp memory.
The thing is am about taking another jamb I need information on what pharmacy entails and if I should go for it considering my strength ND weakness.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Holumhidey(m): 8:04pm On Dec 26, 2018
though if truly u must study pharmacy, and u need calculations..... i can help u with maths calculations..... and maybe physics but no chemistry if u need maths calculations just pm me
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 8:11pm On Dec 26, 2018
chemistry calculations is more difficult for me,i do better in physics
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Holumhidey(m): 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2018
daisy004:
chemistry calculations is more difficult for me,i do better in physics
wat about math?
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Eserise1(m): 8:32pm On Dec 28, 2018
You don do much calculation in pharmacy , u just learn formulars in which you use in drugs moles , percentage , if you have a good memory you are good to go , what you must learn to do in Pharmacy is craming of drug names formulars, reactions etc
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by ikcid: 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2018
Put in your best in your preparations for both JAMB and Post-UTME, if you can gain admission you can do comfortably well in pharmacy. Pharmacy is VERY easy and I assure you with the right attitude to your studies you'll graduate with good grades. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jobola1: 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2018
daisy004

I don't know much about pharmacy or medicine, but there is one thing in life; if you spend enough time with something, it soon becomes part of you.

I hated maths in secondary school, but I loved it at the university even tho I first struggled with it in yr one. If you spend enough time on it; you will soon realize that maths is very similar to playing a game. I do maths when I am already tired of reading other subjects because maths don't need so much brain work, what it needs is practice. It has its rules, follow the rules and see where it leads u. I believe the same thing applies to chemistry too.

Goodluck, concentrate more on the jamb. You have to get that admission first, before bothering with calculations.

2 Likes

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by shollish(m): 7:08pm On Dec 30, 2018
undecided
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 11:42pm On Dec 30, 2018
Holumhidey:

wat about math?
I do fairly well in math
the truth is I can't really tell cos when I was in sec school I can reproduce anything am taught but I can't derive formulas myselfand have not been doing math lately
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 11:51pm On Dec 30, 2018
Eserise1:
You don do much calculation in pharmacy , u just learn formulars in which you use in drugs moles , percentage , if you have a good memory you are good to go , what you must learn to do in Pharmacy is craming of drug names formulars, reactions etc
but there will surely be calculations right
the cramming aspect is easy for me, cos chemistry calculations were what reduce my pume score this year.my problem is I love calculations that are straight 4ward like dat of physics,chem calc are just too twisted.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Eserise1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 31, 2018
daisy004:

but there will surely be calculations right
the cramming aspect is easy for me, cos chemistry calculations were what reduce my pume score this year.my problem is I love calculations that are straight 4ward like dat of physics,chem calc are just too twisted.

I encourage you to please go do the pharmacy for about any calculation
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 6:01pm On Dec 31, 2018
ikcid:
Put in your best in your preparations for both JAMB and Post-UTME, if you can gain admission you can do comfortably well in pharmacy. Pharmacy is VERY easy and I assure you with the right attitude to your studies you'll graduate with good grades. Good luck
Are you a pharmacy student? I doubt, because if you were you wouldn't say that pharmacy is very easy.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 6:23pm On Dec 31, 2018
Eserise1:

I encourage you to please go do the pharmacy for about any calculation
Are you a pharmacy student?? How do you know there's no much calculations in pharmacy?? Do you think drug dose calculations are easy Don't mislead people here!

Many people came into pharmacy with this mindset of yours and got withdrawn!

@op, you need calculations to survive in pharmacy o. You would calculate both drug doses, flow properties of powders, viscosity of liquids etc. In fact, you need a sound knowledge of chemistry, physics and maths to survive in pharmacy school.

Pharmacy combines both the so called cramming and calculations. Be informed!

However, you can still do it if you are determined to. You may just need to take some tutorials in chemistry calculations since you said you are good in maths. Get a good book on chemistry calculations and practice. If you have any difficult problem in chemistry calculations, you can notify me or any other person that can help.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by ikcid: 7:25pm On Dec 31, 2018
Jman06, which pharmacy school do you attend and in what level are you now?
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 7:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
ikcid:
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by ikcid: 8:20pm On Dec 31, 2018
Jman06:
How do you know there's no much calculations in pharmacy?? Do you think drug dose calculations are easy Don't mislead people here!

Pharmacy combines both cramming and calculations.

However, you can still do it if you are determined to.
You may just need to take some tutorials in chemistry calculations since you said you are good in maths.

I can tell you categorically that with the right attitude to ones studies as I opined in my first post the OP can go places. You even reinforced the same in the highlighted portions of your post.

If the Op is a very good crammer, it's already a given that she'll ace Medicinal chemistry talk less of calculations in chemistry practical exams.

Take a look at the listed:
Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology, Clinicals,Pharm. Micro and a little of chemistry all involves CRAMMING, which is like 85% of all you'll do in pharmacy school.

Asides Pharmaceutics that involves pharm. calc both in dispensing and pharmaceutical technology, with a little calculation in chemistry, both of which accounts for about 13% of what one does in pharmacy school, don't you think the Op will fare well? ?

I've seen people who got admitted through the backdoor and thosethat were admitted based on ELDs that weren't pushovers.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 10:52pm On Dec 31, 2018
ikcid:

I can tell you categorically that with the right attitude to ones studies as I opined in my first post the OP can go places. You even reinforced the same in the highlighted portions of your post.

If the Op is a very good crammer, it's already a given that she'll ace Medicinal chemistry talk less of calculations in chemistry practical exams.

Take a look at the listed:
Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology, Clinicals,Pharm. Micro and a little of chemistry all involves CRAMMING, which is like 85% of all you'll do in pharmacy school.

Asides Pharmaceutics that involves pharm. calc both in dispensing and pharmaceutical technology, with a little calculation in chemistry, both of which accounts for about 13% of what one does in pharmacy school, don't you think the Op will fare well? ?

I've seen people who got admitted through the backdoor and thosethat were admitted based on ELDs that weren't pushovers.
Well, I don't know for your school, but in mine, one has got to have at least an average knowledge of chemistry calculations, maths and physics to do well.

Aside maybe pharmacognosy, all the other courses have calculations. If not in the theory, it will be in the practicals. We do practical cology where you have to calculate doses of drugs to be administered to your animal from stock based on weight of animals. In pharm micro, topics like preparation of sterile products (eye drops, injections, infusions, ear drops etc), phenol coefficient, serial dilution of antimicrobial agents etc require good knowledge of calculations. In pharm chem, I wonder how one would pass analysis without being good in chemistry calculations and maths. Even in clinical pharmacy, you'll still do calculations! Then you now talk about pharmaceutics and pharm tech which is where you will do the father of all the calculations.

Bro, in Uniben we do live practical exams in all these courses and if you are not good in calculations, sorry will become the person's name. You have to calculate, prepare your products or generate your result within a short time.
I'm not implying that it cannot be done by someone who is serious, but you saying that it is very easy was a misrepresentation of fact. One has to come prepared else they get withdrawn.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by ikcid: 12:48am On Jan 01, 2019
Jman06:

One has to come prepared else they get withdrawn.
Who knows, Pharmacy may be hard on you, while to some people; it's that simple. I don't understand how and why some people whine about Px being a hard nut to crack... to each "it's" own.

Op be ye not discouraged, don't fall back on pharmacy just because you couldn't get medicne, you'll get frustrated if you don't have passion for it.The only people that find it hard reading pharmacy are those who are doing it because their parents want them to and those doing it because their friends are doing it. If you're convinced in your ability, with firm belief you can achieve anything. .. I mean even that medicine you're running away from.
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 6:45am On Jan 01, 2019
ikcid:

Who knows, Pharmacy may be hard on you, while to some people; it's that simple. I don't understand how and why some people whine about Px being a hard nut to crack... to each "it's" own.

Op be ye not discouraged, don't fall back on pharmacy just because you couldn't get medicne, you'll get frustrated if you don't have passion for it.The only people that find it hard reading pharmacy are those who are doing it because their parents want them to and those doing it because their friends are doing it. If you're convinced in your ability, with firm belief you can achieve anything. .. I mean even that medicine you're running away from.
Well, not that it is hard on me neither will I say it is "very easy". Using the word very easy was very misleading of you bro. I'm not trying to discourage the op, all i am implying is that she should come prepared! Some people come into pharmacy with that mindset that
the course is easy only to get messed up big time!
I have also noticed that all the pharmacy schools ain't using the same curriculum eg while some schools like mine require you to take live practical exams under controlled atmosphere every semester, others just give alternative to practicals while some use normal practical reports as CA with no practical exams. Maybe your school is very easy bro, mine requires you to come prepared! I think PCN needs to ensure that all pharmacy schools operate on a uniform curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 7:07am On Jan 01, 2019
ikcid:
@ikcid, which pharmacy school are you in?? My instinct tells me you are not even a pharmacy student or pharmacist but an outsider who thinks it's easy in pharmacy. I was like that before I got admission into pharmacy after studying biochem. I used to think pharmacy was a walkover until I got in.
I'm not doing badly though but I have come to realize the truth which is that pharmacy no be beans.

2 Likes

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 9:53pm On Jan 01, 2019
ikcid:

Op be ye not discouraged, DONT FALL BACK ON PHARMACY JUST BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T GET MEDICNE, you'll get frustrated if you don't have passion for it.The only people that find it hard reading pharmacy are those who are doing it because their parents want them to and those doing it because their friends are doing it. If you're convinced in your ability, with firm belief you can achieve anything. .. I MEAN EVEN THAT MEDICINE YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM.
those first words got to me,i guess am falling back on pharmacy becos I love a challenging course. AND AM NOT RUNNING AWAY FROM MEDICINE,UNIBENHAS BEEN DISAPPOINTING ME I got 74 and still wasn't given the course

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2019
ikcid:
the admission is not the problem I can easily make it I don't just want to be frustrated or surprised by what I see when am inside
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by daisy004(f): 10:13pm On Jan 01, 2019
@jmano6
so to study pharmacy in uniben one has to have a good grounding in calculations then.

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 10:33pm On Jan 01, 2019
daisy004:
@jmano6
so to study pharmacy in uniben one has to have a good grounding in calculations then.
Yes dear, but it's not something you can't do if you are determined to. All you need do is practice your chemistry calculations the more since you are good in maths and physics.

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by ikcid: 10:27am On Jan 02, 2019
Jman06:

I'm not doing badly though but I have come to realize the truth which is that pharmacy no be beans.

Well good luck to you in your studies, I hope it pans out well for you and all things being equal, we'll be joining legs in few years time.
But don't dispute the fact that pharmacy is a walk in the park for some people (First hand experience) and I won't doubt you saying pharmacy is hard, because you're talking from your experience while still at it. Good luck to you once again!
*Drops pen*
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Jman06(m): 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2019
ikcid:

Well good luck to you in your studies, I hope it pans out well for you and all things being equal, we'll be joining legs in few years time.
But don't dispute the fact that pharmacy is a walk in the park for some people (First hand experience) and I won't doubt you saying pharmacy is hard, because you're talking from your experience while still at it. Good luck to you once again!
*Drops pen*
Thank you and see you at the top
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by TobsJacob9: 4:01am On Jun 17, 2019
Jman06
Can I kindly get your email or whatsapp number
I'd like to ask few pressing questions
Thanks
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by TobsJacob9: 4:03am On Jun 17, 2019
Jman06:
Thank you and see you at the top

Jman06
Can I kindly get your email or whatsapp number
I'd like to ask few pressing questions
Thanks
Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
Jman06:
@ikcid, which pharmacy school are you in?? My instinct tells me you are not even a pharmacy student or pharmacist but an outsider who thinks it's easy in pharmacy. I was like that before I got admission into pharmacy after studying biochem. I used to think pharmacy was a walkover until I got in.
true talk, pharmacy no be beans.. am in part 4 but I can tell u that d journey worth every bit of the stress n agony u pass through. As men of honours we join hands

1 Like

Re: Pharmacy Students Pls I Need Your Advice Urgently by Chessylelouch: 1:39pm On Nov 01, 2023
Hi, I'm a female 2nd yr student in pharmacyD, I got in through the ijmb program recently and have no clue on the course apparently.
My mom although wants me to read medicine so that means I will have to write jamb again but my dad is ok on me reading pharmacy

Please I need advice
Is Pharmacy worth it in Nigeria?
Are jobs available during and after internships
What is the salary range for both clinical and community pharm
Are there other areas in pharmacy I should know about?
I'm not planning on the abroad stuffs so don't bother about the opportunities abroad
Should I listen to my mom and read medicine

Please I would love to hear about your experience, from both interns, pharmacist, Students with proofs and even doctors

I will be grateful for your help, Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Is North American University A Good Choice? / Offshore Electrical Maintenance Easter Training Promo With Free HSE Training / The Life Of A Nigerian Doctor In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.