Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) (43724 Views)

Obasanjo Visits Emeka Anyaoku At His Residence In Anambra (Photos) / Obasanjo Visits Gov. Amosun At His Oke-mosan,abeokuta Office(photos) / Olujuwon Obasanjo Visits Buhari Campaign Headquarters (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by sirlekzy: 6:41am On Dec 27, 2018
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Monday evening, paid a visit to his 91-year-old former teacher and mentor, Mr James Popoola, who taught him English language.

A statement by Obasanjo’s media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, made available to journalists in Abeokuta on Wednesday, said the former President was accompanied on the visit by his classmate and close friend, who is the traditional ruler of Ibara, Oba Jacob Omolade.

It was gathered that Pa Popoola taught both Obasanjo and Oba Omolade at the Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta, in the 1950s.

The statement said Obasanjo engaged the former tutor in banters while recalling some old memories.

The statement read in part

“The Trip, Which Was Led By One Of The Teacher’s Children, Akin, From His Abeokuta Residence, Saw Obasanjo Arriving Into The Waiting Arms Of Mr And Mrs Popoola At The Family House In Ilaro, Yewa South Local Government Area Of Ogun State, At Around 5pm.

“It Was An Elated Pa Popoola Who Said. ‘I Can’t Believe It. You Mean I Will Host You In My House Today Before My Death? It Was 35 Years Ago I Met You. Oh! I Am Delighted, Very Delighted’.

“Obasanjo Made A Move To Take Over His (Popoola’s) Wheelchair To Drive Him Back Into The Large Sitting Room, Saying, ‘We Are Delighted Too Sir. Let Us Come Inside. I Am Here With Kabiyesi Too. You Remember Him? Jacob Omolade, That Boy That’….”

“Ahhh! Kabiyesi O! Yes, I Remember Him. The Olubara,” Popoola Interjected, As The Traditional Ruler Stretched Out A Hand To Shake Him.

Obasanjo said it had always been his desire to visit the ex-teacher but for his tight schedule.

At that point, the former teacher’s aged wife, Mojisola, joined in the exchange of banters.

“Daddy Often Remembers All Your Pranks. He Must Be Very Happy Receiving You Today,” She Told Obasanjo And The Monarch.

Pa Popoola thanked the visitors and prayed for their continuous success in life.

When the age difference between the ex-teacher and Obasanjo, who will be 82 next year was pointed out, Akinyemi said,

“Anyone That Attended The Standard Class In Those Days Could Teach. With A Three-Month Course Then, You Could Be A Teacher. He (Popoola) Could Have Been A Grade II Teacher Then With Eight Or Nine Years’ Difference Between The Ages Of The Teacher And His Pupils.”

Source: https://www.gistkit.com/naija-news/obasanjo-pays-a-suprise-visits-to-his-91-year-old-former-teacher/

15 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Chicagoesontop: 6:45am On Dec 27, 2018
Forget , Baba is a pure Guyman .. Old time friends is a goal ..

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 27, 2018
Amazing. Old fellas still waxing strong

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by fran6co(m): 7:32am On Dec 27, 2018
Nice one baba

15 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Kenekingisback: 7:41am On Dec 27, 2018
Great.

But when will Buhari visit his Mathematics Teacher sef grin

138 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by SolutionMee: 7:43am On Dec 27, 2018
cheesy

That changes nothing.

Even if it's Trump that visited him, his reward will still be in heaven. From my teenage days, I've made up my mind not to pay any courtesy visit to any poor teacher. If you can't be successful as a teacher then why teaching me in the first place? If I'm in Obasanjo's shoe, I'll rather lock him up in a police custody.

Imagine, 91 years without any achievement and reward. A clever teacher will by now be in a hurry to leave earth alone.

Let him try heaven too because it is not how far we live in this world that matters but how well. Poverty is not longevity (says King Solomon in the Bible). God is not even proud of him (unlike me).
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Nobody: 7:45am On Dec 27, 2018
This obasanjo is a very interesting human being lovr him or hate him.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Kharol1234: 7:52am On Dec 27, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Great.
mathematics wer e no pass?

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Kharol1234: 7:54am On Dec 27, 2018
pa popoola wil die a happy man......

10 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Pigsandidiots: 8:15am On Dec 27, 2018
SolutionMee:
cheesy

That changes nothing.

Even if it's Trump that visited him, his reward will still be in heaven. From my teenage days, I've made up my mind not to pay any courtesy visit to any poor teacher. If you can't be successful as a teacher then why teaching me in the first place? If I'm in Obasanjo's shoe, I'll rather lock him up in a police custody.

Imagine, 91 years without any achievement and reward. A clever teacher will by now be in a hurry to leave earth alone.

Let him try heaven too because it is not how far we live in this world that matters but how well. Poverty is not longevity (says King Solomon in the Bible). God is not even proud of him (unlike me).
Says by someone whose parents are wretched. Sense is far from ur family

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by speedyconnect3: 8:20am On Dec 27, 2018
Election period

2 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by jerryunit48: 8:24am On Dec 27, 2018
speedyconnect3:
Election period
Which election Baba dey contest?

23 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by anambraamaka: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2018
grin
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by superior1: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2018
BBHS
Nulli Secundus

2 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by daddytime(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2018
Nice one from Baba Bully...

I know say na just 3 years the teacher take senior baba and him bully all of dem with him muscles after him community contribute money to send am to school make him no finish their wives for village.

Baba the baba...I like the man...

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Olamsoh: 8:57am On Dec 27, 2018
God,

I want to pray for anyone whose heart feels empty. I pray that your healing hand will comfort & mend whatever void needs you. May their spirit be uplifted & replaced with warmth from the peace you give. May you cover them with an everlasting joy that only you give.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by nurex01(m): 8:58am On Dec 27, 2018
It's good when you don't overlook the ones you have surpassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:59am On Dec 27, 2018
Baba farmer.....carry go.......

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Fash20: 8:59am On Dec 27, 2018
SolutionMee:
cheesy

That changes nothing.

Why are you reasoning like this

10 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by omowolewa: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2018
Great
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by victorazyvictor(m): 9:00am On Dec 27, 2018
A SLAP ON BUHARI'S FACE

2 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by davibid: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2018

When will Buhari show us his teacher and his certificate grin

#KINGBID

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by id4sho(m): 9:01am On Dec 27, 2018
r
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Pusyiter(m): 9:01am On Dec 27, 2018
When you dey power, you no remember the old man,
Now wey you don leave power, you want to use him for cheap popularity abi cool

5 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by potent5(m): 9:01am On Dec 27, 2018
Good. Please, may the lifeless one also visit his former teacher. We want to see his face and...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by sojayy(m): 9:01am On Dec 27, 2018
amazing old vegetables! pappa obj u do well !

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by chiefolododo(m): 9:02am On Dec 27, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Great.

na f9 he get for maths na

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by Pavore9: 9:03am On Dec 27, 2018
speedyconnect3:
Election period
The visit has no electoral value.

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by flamingREED(m): 9:04am On Dec 27, 2018
This news just gave me joy.

I know that one day it will all pay:
Their teasings and my wonderings, their begrudgings and my disappointments, their unstableness and my frustrations, their unwillingness and my doubling-ups, their askings and my givings, our class rucus and reconciliations, their blushings and those moments we've cherished together.

That day when we'll look back and laugh over them all.
The day of reunion, honor and joy.

It seems Secondary School relationships are eternal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by dotedote: 9:04am On Dec 27, 2018
His teacher or classmate ?

3 Likes

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo Visits James Popoola, His English Teacher (Photo) by adeiza4u(m): 9:05am On Dec 27, 2018
SolutionMee:
cheesy

That changes nothing.

Receive sense oga. I wonder what is your own definition of achievements.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Saraki And Dangote "Friendship Goals" / Meet Ololade Abdulai Akinsanya, MC Oluomo's Son Who Graduated In The U.S / Photos: PDP Burial Procession In Kaduna By APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.