Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Starting A Small Photography Business. - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Starting A Small Photography Business. (3068 Views)

Free Photography Business Workshop! (limited Seats Available). / Photography Business Partner Needed / How To Start A Photography Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Small Photography Business. by Explorers(m): 12:05pm On Dec 27, 2018
Need your kind suggestions on neccessary gears/equipments for a startup.

Camera type(DSLR), brand and model.

Lens and lights.

Will also appreciate if prices of these gears can be quoted and other things one need to consider or do.

Saving and planning to start small.

Thanks.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by taiocol: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
see this photography business Ehn, nothing like starting small you just have to present your budget and the type of photography you wish to be doing, let's know where to start from
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by BlaqScarface(m): 4:15pm On Dec 27, 2018
I also want to start a photography business in 2019, so I'll just board here and see the useful information.
I suggest you start with a content filled Instagram page and a vast portfolio, I don't know if it's best to focus on a particular niche first or just do all type of photography generally and the most important thing is getting customers and keeping them happy with your work.
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by wroskian(m): 5:30pm On Dec 27, 2018
Explorers:
Need your kind suggestions on neccessary gears/equipments for a startup.

Camera type(DSLR), brand and model.

Lens and lights.

Will also appreciate if prices of these gears can be quoted and other things one need to consider or do.

Saving and planning to start small.

Thanks.

I have no idea of what you need to start, but I'll mention someone who might provide some helpful details.

@Deturla could you please help a brother?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by deturla: 7:56pm On Dec 30, 2018
wroskian:

I have no idea of what you need to start, but I'll mention someone who might provide some helpful details.

@Deturla could you please help a brother?

Thanks for the mention Bro.

Well, Explorers. What's your budget?

That's the most important thing first of all. When we have an idea of what budget you would be working on, then we can decide on the equipment to start with.

Also, what genre of photography will you be going into? I started out as a documentary TOG! Before moving into weddings and events.

You could want to be a Portrait Photographer. Just know that all these will be dependent on your budget.

Let's hear from you. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Timagex(m): 11:21pm On Dec 30, 2018
Nice question. But, op, do you have the required knowledge?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Timagex(m): 11:22pm On Dec 30, 2018
deturla:

That's the most important thing first of all. When we have an idea of what budget you would be working on, then we can decide on the equipment to start with.

Also, what genre of photography will you be going into? I started out as a documentary TOG! Before moving into weddings and events.

You could want to be a Portrait Photographer. Just know that all these will be dependent on your budget.

. Boss cool
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Explorers(m): 7:51am On Dec 31, 2018
deturla:

Thanks.

Documentary/travel and event.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by dfrost: 6:25pm On Dec 31, 2018
Spaced book and occupied.

Wanderers and Omo'niles keep off.

Rotts on duty. cheesy grin
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by deturla: 5:10am On Jan 02, 2019
Explorers:

Thanks.

Documentary/travel and event.

Okay great. First thing is for you to know which Camera you would be using and why,

Canon, Nikon or Sony? A budget entry level camera will just do and maybe a kit lens and a prime lens.

Since you won't be doing studio shoots, then those will be fine. Also, let YouTube be your very best friend.

Would have loved to say more though But then there will be too much to say.

If you are in Lagos, then good for you. I've got over 200 photography videos that you can leverage on. I believe these videos will answer all your question.

Meanwhile, make sure you follow PrinceMeyson and Ellisoft on YouTube.

I'll be here if you need further questions.

NB: I super love your threads. I hope we get to collaborate someday.

Compliments.
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by deturla: 5:10am On Jan 02, 2019
Timagex:
. Boss cool

Brother mi. Howfar nah??
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Funjosh(m): 5:46am On Jan 02, 2019
I love the sound of the shutter............. I will want to go into animals/plants photography just love to capture nature.

CC Deturla am in Lagos and interested in getting those videos you talk about.
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Explorers(m): 6:36am On Jan 02, 2019
deturla:

Okay great. First thing is for you to know which Camera you would be using and why,

Canon, Nikon or Sony? A budget entry level camera will just do and maybe a kit lens and a prime lens.

Since you won't be doing studio shoots, then those will be fine. Also, let YouTube be your very best friend.

If you are in Lagos, then good for you. I've got over 200 photography videos that you can leverage on. I believe these videos will answer all your question.

Compliments.

Thanks for your time bro, Happy New Year.
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Explorers(m): 6:37am On Jan 02, 2019
Funjosh:
I love the sound of the shutter............. I will want to go into animals/plants photography just love to capture nature.

Happy new year brother.

Waoh, that's great... Animal.

Wild life?
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by taiocol: 7:45am On Jan 02, 2019
deturla:

Compliments.
Prince meyson doesn't do anything Travel or documentary but he's a good photographer sha....
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Timagex(m): 7:58am On Jan 02, 2019
deturla:

Brother mi. Howfar nah??
. Hawa u sir
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 02, 2019
Let me park here to learn photography tricks!
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Funjosh(m): 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
Explorers:

Happy new year brother.

Waoh, that's great... Animal.

Wild life?

Brother no vex for me Jare, compliment of the seasons how is Madam and baby.
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by deturla: 8:35am On Jan 03, 2019
Funjosh:

My number is +2349055429669.

Please give me a call. I just hope you have a huge hard drive?
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Funjosh(m): 9:54am On Jan 03, 2019
deturla:

My number is........

Please give me a call. I just hope you have a huge hard drive?

OK boss...... Thanks will give you a call cool
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Ge0grapher(m): 6:23am On Jan 11, 2019
Oga Explorers, I am a big fan of yours!!! back to the issue on ground, you will need the following

1. Camera- I love Canon but Nikon is also cool by the way. please forget about Sony unless you want to be worrying about battery life whenever you are in the field. Budget= 100k - 120k

2. Camera lens= i will recommend a good camera lens of at least 50mm 0r 35mm, but if you are still learning photography basics and dont wanna blow up your budget you can keep using the follow come lens, since Nikon and Canon cameras are awesome when it comes to their lens. Budget= 50k 0r less depends sha

3. TRIPOD= i made it all Capital because this is very important, it helps in the balance, Focus and accuracy. budget= 12k

4. Storage memory= You gonna need extra memory. they are relatively cheap nowadays

5. Back pack(bag)= I recommend a waterproof one in other to avoid stories whenever it pours.

POST PROCESSING

Now this is one of the most important part of photography, I hope you have a good Computer, if you don't you gonna need one. Secondly, PHOTOSHOP knowledge!! photography now is all about manipulation, effects and beauty. That is why basic knowledge of an editing image software like Photoshop is needed.

I am still a beginner tho,hoping to pass this stage very soon. I intend on specializing in Landscape, Documentary, travel, Events and street photography

7 Likes

Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by samdelaw(m): 2:40pm On Jan 12, 2019
deturla:

Compliments.
Wooow! I'm so interested getting these videos to further fuel my interest in photography. Luckily for me, I'm based in lagos. Permission to contact you boss!
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Timagex(m): 4:06am On Jan 14, 2019
deturla:

Brother mi. Howfar nah??
anything for ur boi? cool
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by BlaqScarface(m): 5:05pm On Jan 26, 2019
Ge0grapher:
Oga Explorers, I am a big fan of yours!!! back to the issue on ground, you will need the following

1. Camera- I love Canon but Nikon is also cool by the way. please forget about Sony unless you want to be worrying about battery life whenever you are in the field. Budget= 100k - 120k

2. Camera lens= i will recommend a good camera lens of at least 50mm 0r 35mm, but if you are still learning photography basics and dont wanna blow up your budget you can keep using the follow come lens, since Nikon and Canon cameras are awesome when it comes to their lens. Budget= 50k 0r less depends sha

3. TRIPOD= i made it all Capital because this is very important, it helps in the balance, Focus and accuracy. budget= 12k

4. Storage memory= You gonna need extra memory. they are relatively cheap nowadays

5. Back pack(bag)= I recommend a waterproof one in other to avoid stories whenever it pours.

POST PROCESSING

Now this is one of the most important part of photography, I hope you have a good Computer, if you don't you gonna need one. Secondly, PHOTOSHOP knowledge!! photography now is all about manipulation, effects and beauty. That is why basic knowledge of an editing image software like Photoshop is needed.

I am still a beginner tho,hoping to pass this stage very soon. I intend on specializing in Landscape, Documentary, travel, Events and street photography

Where can someone get a good camera for that price and is it a used or new one??. Please be specific and recommend which entry camera is best to purchase I've been thinking about getting the Canon 200D but please what's your recommendation??
Re: Starting A Small Photography Business. by Ge0grapher(m): 1:02pm On Jan 27, 2019
guy, canon 200d is way to expensive than that price. a nice canon camera within that price range is canon 1200d or the upgraded version of it which is Canon 1300d.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Wearing The Blue Jeans? / Drone Pilot Training In 1-3days(weekdays /weekends / Place Order For Your Custom,logos and company brand designs.See My Works Inside!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.