Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

The ASYLUM - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The ASYLUM (490 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The ASYLUM by Maryroseozoiko: 8:42am On Dec 28, 2018
HERE LADIES AND GENTLEMEN US MY NEW STORY :

THE ASSYLUM
Office of the inspector-general of police in Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria. He is a man of about 55 years with a height of about 180cm.He is popularly referred to as I.G. HE is sitting in his office thinking about the current security challenges in the country when the assistant commissioner of police walks in.
I. G. : What?
A. I. G. : Sir, the suspect confessed this afternoon about 40 mins ago.
I. G. : We have to report this to the president.
A. I. G. : I agree with you sir.
2 HOURS LATER
Office of the President and commander in chief of the federal republic of Nigeria. Sited in the office is a man of about 65 years wearing a flowing abgada and glasses. President mohammed turkur was a retired army general and very worried about the current security lapses in the country.

PRES. Turkur; Good day gentlemen ,what can I do for you?

I.G: and A.I.G: good day sir.
I.G: sir we have had a break in the investigation of the samatorro terrorists .The news sir is but good and bad.

Pres. Turkur: Am all ears I.G.

I.G: sir , I will let the A.I.G brief you with our findings.

A.I.G: your Excellency , on the 29th of march 2024.The men of the Nigerian police force arrested 15 armed men with 4 locally made IEDs (bombs) and a cache of weapon along kugbo road .

PRES .Turkur.: yes ,am aware of that arrest .go on.
A.I.G: sir ,one of the men has confessed to being a major member of the dreaded samatoro terrorists currently causing mayhem in this country.

Pres. Turkur: That is good news officer.go on.

A.I.G: Thank you sir, the bad news now sir is that he confessed that their chief sponsor is General isa T. Amin (rtd).

Pres.Turkur: What| that is not possible.

I.G: Am afraid ,it is sir .We questioned him thoroughly.

A.I.G.: yes sir.

PRES. Turkur: I cannot believe this.

FLASHBACK
35 YEARS ago.

AT the Africa union emergency conference in Morocco. Present are the presidents of Ghana ,Angola, Algeria, Egypt and forty other African countries. The chief host, the president of morocco declares the meeting open.

President Johnson of Nigeria: Good day excellencies .we are all gathered here today to discuss and find a lasting solution to the crisis engulfing the continent . particularly the civil war in Liberia. It is our duty as a group to find a solution to end this war and quickly too.

All nods their head in agreement .

PRES.A.A. Morktar of morocco: what is happening in Liberia is bad for the image of the continent .

Pres. Johnson: I propose a peacekeeping force from the A.U. to Liberia immediately.
Pres Godwin of Ghana : I support a peacekeeping force also.
Pres. Morktar : IN absence of any other idea ,we unanimously support the peacekeeping force in Liberia. The details will be worked out at our official meeting in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia in two weeks. Thank you all for coming.

Few weeks after the conference. At the headquarters of the A.U. office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Soldiers of various African countries assembled and prepared to depart for Liberia .it had been agreed earlier the Nigeria would lead the peacekeeping force. The general commanding officer(G.O.C)is about to address them.

G.O.C: As we depart for Liberia ,I charge you all to respect the rule of engagement and the U.N. peacekeeping laws. Is that clear soldiers?
SOLDIERS: yes sir
G.O.C.: we will restore peace in Liberia and deal with miscreants and criminals decisively .Goodluck gentlemen and ladies.
SOLDIERS: thank you sir.

AFTER months of peacekeeping, there appears to be no end in sight, as the war has continued to wax stronger .AU. extraordinary meeting in Abuja ,the Nigerian capital has been schedule to be held. The war in Liberia is the main focus of discussion .The meeting is been held at the international conference center . A magnificent building in the center of the capital , painted green and white with gate also painted white. Present at the meeting are the present of the 54 African nations with the only absentee the head of state of Liberia .All the heads of state are looking completely unhappy. The chief host and the current chairman of the African union, the Nigerian president is about to address the meeting.

President Johnson: your Excellencies , I welcome you all to this extraordinary meeting . I hope you will find our hosting hospitable. The war in Liberia is the main focus of discussion here and I sincerely hope we can find a lasting solution to this problem here.
President Godwin : We sincerely appreciate you your Excellency for hosting us .we are happy to be here but to be honest we wish it will be under a better circumstance rather than that of the war in Liberia .
President MOrktar: your Excellencies .The next step I believe we should take, should be to invite the head of A.U. intelligence agency gen .Mohammedu Turkur to brief us on their progress .
President Elena joan beribenzi (ethiopa):As the only female here and as a mother , I am particularly worried about the women and children in the war torn Liberia at the moment. I urge all of us here at this meeting to find a permanent solution to this crisis.
President Johnson : Gen. turkur will be with us shortly .he will join us after the recess.
After the recess, Gen.turkur has arrived the meeting.

Gen. turkur: good afternoon your excellencies . I am general turkur ,head of the A.U. intelligence agency.
Pres .johnson: your welcome general. What do you have for us?
Gen. turkur: thank you your excellency , As you all are aware , the war in Liberia officially started about one year and a half ago .However ,before then it was regarded generally as a religious crisis between minority Muslims in the north and the majority Christians in the south. Intelligence gathering has reveled that this is not the case as both sides have been fighting on both sides completely. Actual intelligence has shown that the war is over something completely different from religion but it is over the diamond deposite in the country and its neighbour sierra loan .

Everyone looks astonished as they cannot believe their ears.

Pres. Godwin: Are you sure of what your telling us .
Gen.turkur: Absolutely sir.

Pres. Morktar: so we are not only faced with the war in Liberia , we might have another one in sierra loan.
Gen. Turkur: Am afraid it is so sir.
Pres. Johnson: This is more serious than we thought.
Pres .Morktar: Gen. turkur, what do you suggest we do about this ?
Gen .turktur: I propose that the number of peacekeepers are increased, if possible doubled . I also propose that military hardware are also increased .
Pres. Johnson: will that be enough.
Gen.Turkur :AM not certain your Excellency . but it will go a long way in the quest to end this war. Intelligence suggest the presence of mercenaries from Somalia about to join both sides of the war.
PRES. Morktar : Somalia? There are not even part of the A.U. so it will be difficult to engage the government in diplomatic talks .General are you sure we should not involve the U.N.
GEN. Turkur: not yet your Excellency
Pres.johnson: I propose a recess and after that we shall deliberate on the suggestions of general turkur.

AFTETR THE RECESS.

Pres Johnson : we have heard the general and I suggest we approve his recommendations immediately to save lives in that place.
Pres. Godwin : I support his recommendations and I employ you to do the same .
Pres. Beribenzi: I support the recommendation also but I have a request I would like to make here. I want to ask this union to send relief materials into Liberia for the sake of the women and children.
Pres. Kalifa ibrabim (Senegal): that will not be possible because right now the airspace is too hot to allow such supplies .Also we dont want to appear bias to any side in this war.
Pres.Beribenzi : Are we to do nothing then?
Pres.Morktar Am afraid that is the situation now.

Months after the meeting .all the recommendations of the general Turkur have been met adequately , yet no end in sight of the war. General Turkur is at the office of the president of Nigeria .

Pres. Johnson: General, you are welcome .what can I do for you .you sounded worried on the phone.
Gen. Turkur : your Excellency, I have some disturbing news.
Pres.johnson : Am all ears.
Gen .Turkur: sir, intelligence has revealed that Gen. Isa T. Amin is the one instigating this war himself. Pres. Johnson: what ! that is not possible , their very own head of state and commander in-chief. That would be genocide.
Gen.Turkur: your Excellency , there is more. The reason the war started was because of his illegal diamond smuggling to Europe and Asia . He is using the war to hide this diamond trade and recently human traffic ring. He is also recruiting child and using them as soldiers to steal diamond from neighbouring sierra loan.
Pres. Johnson: this is unbelievable. He is committing war crimes . If the international court of justice get hold of these .he would be persecuted and imprisoned .that would be bad for the reputation of other African leaders.
Gen Turkur: your Excellency ,I came to you with these because I know the relationship between you and Gen. Amin and I want us to find an amicable solution .
Pres .Johnson : I agree with you completely .I will travel to Liberia next week to meet Gen .Amin to discuss all these you have told me .
Gen. Turkur: that would be a good Idea your excellency. I will take my leave now.

A WEEK LATER
Presidential palace of the Head of state of Liberia. A magnificent building in the center of the capital city of Morovia .
Gen .AMIN: your Excellency , you are welcome to my humble abode.
Pres. Johnson : thank you very much your Excellency . Everytime I come here the palace becomes more beautiful .you have a great job with this palace.
Gen AMIN: thank you your Excellency but that praise should go to my wife. She is the one who made this place like this .

Pres. Johnson: she has done a great job with this place.( with a serious look) Isa, I have some disturbing news and I dont like it
Gen .AMIN: please continue Johnson .
Pres. Johnson:I have information from a reliable source . you know am a frank person and I dont sugar-coat things. So I will just say it the way it is . you have been fingered as the cause of the war here among other dreadful things like human trafficking and war crimes. There is still the issue of diamond smuggling .you my friend are in big trouble if this gets out . you are my friend and I will do best to help you ,that is if you tell me the truth.

What is his story. :
Re: The ASYLUM by Maryroseozoiko: 12:34pm On Dec 29, 2018
CONTD :

Gen. AMIN: I will tell you the truth my friend(looks crestfallen). Am responsible for the war here and all you have said is true, however that is not the whole truth. Shortly after I took over from my father , I discovered the country was in serious debt both locally and internationally. The diamond controlling region became hostile to my government of years of neglect by previous governments and because my father overthrew their brother in coup d tat. We had no money for the rehabilitation of the region ,so the only solution was to smuggle the diamonds along new trade routes to Europe to bring in needed foreign exchange since the use of military action would not be tolerated by the A.U and the international community.
Pres. Johnson: And the human trafficking ?
Gen Amin: That started after the crash of diamond in the foreign market 5 years ago . by the time diamond rebounded it was too late to stop. My men wont let me even if I want to.
Pres. Johnson: My God , I cant believe this .Do you have any idea what you have done?
Gen .AMIN: I believe I do now. I never expected it to get to this.
Pres. Johnson: what of the impending war in Sierra leoane .
Gen. Amin: I deeply regret the situation in sierra leoane. My soldiers were geedy and that is what brought about the problem .when the diamond market rebounded globally. The demand for diamond increased beyond our expectation, so in order to meet demand we had to steal from neighbouring countries .It was supposed to be a month operation but the high demand for diamond in the black market and news that the diamond here wont be enough made and also it was easier to steal from them so we continued. I later discovered that my soldiers were selling the stolen diamond to local manufactures here. I arrested all of them and shot them with firing squard. Then it was too late .Somehow the government of sierra leone got wind of our activities and launched a military operation against us. To keep our operation going we had to engage mercenaries consisting of rebels of some which are children. This rebels after seeing how much money is involved in the diamond are now mobilizing forces against their own government with the money they are making from the smuggling.
Pres.Johnson: My goodness, this is incredible. I dont even know where to begin to address this issue .As your friend the best solution out of this for you to hand over to a democratic government and I will grant you ASSYLUM in my country to avoid being arrested by the international court of justice for war crimes . However, I cannot do the same for your men. I am only doing this because am your friend . it is going to be hard to convince the A.U to allow this after the evidence against you.
Gen.Amin:I am grateful to you my friend and it saddens me so much that we are not in-laws .
Pres.Johnson: Perhaps , it is for the best .How is she?
Gen. Amin: She is fine ,although it been a while . She still asks about you any time she calls.
Pres.Johnson:I havent spoken to her in 22 years. I guess she still blames me for what happened in the university back then.
Gen.Amin: I dont think so, I think she is ashamed to accept that the fault was as much hers as it was yours.
FLASH BACK
22 years ago at the University of Freetown sierra Leoane.
Isa.AMIN: She has left .
Johnson: That is not possible .we are supposed to meet this evening.
Isa.AMIN:My father is a very persuasive man and he always gets his way .
Johnson:you cant be serious ,Lucy is gone just like that.
Isa Amin:Am afraid it is so Johnny. You should have told her you are a Nigerian and a Christian.
Johnson: I never thought it will be a problem .Maybe I should go with you to Liberia to see her .
Isa Amin: it wont change anything my friend .
Johnson: what am I supposed to do then.
Isa Amin: look ,I know you love her but you have to let her go . Am so sorry my friend.

END OF FLASH BACK
Pres. Johnson: I will do all I can to get you out of this situation.
Gen. Amin: Thank you very much.

THREE MONTHS LATER

Office of the president of Nigeria .located at the ASO Rock villa in ABUJA the Nigerian capital.

Pres. Johnson : Gen. amin your welcome .
Gen . Turkur ; Thank you ,your Excellency.
Pres. Johnson ; general, I need your help with a very important issue .
Gen. Turkur: Anything, I can do for you sir.
Pres. Johnson: I need you to help me convince the A.U. to grant somebody an ASSYLUM to any African country.
Gen. Turkur: who is it sir if I may ask.
Pres. Johnson: Gen. Isa T. Amin.
Gen. Turkur: wow, sir that would be difficult .the evidence against him is overwhelming. Sir what you are asking me to do is to bury evidence . Gen. Isa is as guilty as sin.
Pres. Johnson : I know that but am asking as a favour .
Gen. Turkur: what is in for me sir if I do this .
Pres. Johnson : tell me what you want.
Gen.Turkur: I will tell you sir after the A.U. summit next month.
Pres. Johnson : Alright.
Re: The ASYLUM by Maryroseozoiko: 10:40am On Dec 31, 2018
CONTD :

A MONTH LATER
The meeting of the A.U in Ethiopia. 54 member nations are represented by their presidents and Heads of states with the exception being the Liberian head of state. Presiding over this meeting is the newly elected chairman of the union. President Godwin of Ghana . A man of about 67 years.
Pres.Godwin : Gentlemen and lady your all welcome to the 100th general assembly of the A.U. Today , top of the agenda is the civil war in Liberia . I am made to understand that there is new development and I would like the information shared to the assembly. I will like us to welcome Gen. Turkur in our mist.
Gen. Turkur: Thank you very much your Excellency .Good afternoon your Excellencies . It is an honour to stand before you all once again . For the sake of time , I will go straight to the point. The war in Liberia is gradually coming under control. Let say in two or three months time. However, how to avoid another war and ensure that peace is sustained in that country is part of the reason am here. The head of state of Liberia has to relinquish power to an interim government. Who will then organize a democratic elections and hand over power to a democratic elected government .This will encourage the rebels in the south diamond enriched region to lay down their arms and encourage the people to trust each other .it will also help to rebuid the country from the ruins of war and reduce the economic hardship the citizens are currently experiencing.
Pres.Sadique Mane (Niger): This is good news .that means peace would return to Liberia sooner than we expect.
Pres.Johnson :what happens to the current head of state of Liberia .
Gen. Turkur : that is what am about to say your Excellency. Gen. Amin would need to leave the country for this to work. If he steps down from power, he would be killed and if this happens this would cause an in -repairable damage to the peace of that nation. So I propose before this great assembly the idea of an ASSYLUM to be granted to Gen. amin by any African country. This has to be swift to enable the peace process kick start immediately. Thank you your excellencies for granting me audience.
Pres .Godwin: Thank you very much for the honourable way you have discharged your duties .you can take your leave now
Gen .Turkur: Thank you your EXCELLENCY.
Pres. Godwin: I will call for a recess , after which we would discuss general Turkur prepositions.
After the recess,
Pres. Morktar: The idea of an asylum is good but it is going to be difficult . we dont want to appear as if we are supporting the head of state in the War. It would us not be good for our image in the eyes of the international community when the truth about the genesis of the war in Liberia comes out .
Pres. Godwin : you all heard the general, the war out of this is for one of us to make a huge sacrifice and grant him an asylum.
Pres. Johnson : I will grant him asylum in my country.
Pres. Godwin : Am grateful to you for your decision . I think the matter is settled then.

After the conference, in the private chamber of Pres. Johnson . He is sitted and opposite him is gen.turkur.
Gen. Turkur : your Excellency ,congratulations. Your strategy was perfect and it worked out perfectly .
Pres. Johnson: Thank you very much . I will also like to thank you for your help in convincing the A.U. to grant gen. Isa asylum. If there is anything I can do for you, be rest assured I will do it for you.
Gen. Turkur: Your Excellency , dont mention it. Your Excellency , I would like to ask a favour from you . I will be retiring in two years and I want to join the political scene .i want to ask for your support .
Pres. Johnson : That wont be a problem . when the time comes , I will give you my full support.

END OF FLASHBACK
Pres. Turkur: I.G. do you mean to tell me that the man we gave asylum to 33 years ago is the cause of death of millions of ;people in the country.
I.G: yes your Excellency.
Pres. Turkur: I.G. you have my full support to use whatever means necessary to bring this man and his co- conspirators to justice.
I.G and the A.I.G.: Thank you sir. please sir let me take this call.
Pres. Turkur: go ahead .
I.G: What ! how did that happen.i want a full investigation .
Pres. TURKUR: what happened.
I.G: he is dead.
Pres.Turkur: who is dead.
I.G: The suspect your Excellency. The one who is our lead on the investigation into the terrorists.
Pres.Turkur: what! How did that happen under your watch.
I.G: honestly sir , I dont know how it happened but I will get to the bottom of this.
Pres. Turkur: do that fast our your position as the I.G would be terminated .
I.G.: sir ,I will get to the bottom of this . please sir just give me sometime.
Pres. Turkur: you can leave now.
I.G: thank you your Excellency .

TWO HOURS LATER
Office of the inspector general of police at the force headquarters in Abuja .The Nigerian capital.
I.G: I want to know what happened to the suspect I left in your care now . if you dont give me an intelligent answer now. I will ensure quick dismissal for all of you within a week.
Sergeant John: sir please , I can explain. Around 1300 hrs G.M.T.. I and sergeant Mathew went to check on the suspect and found him unconscious . We raised alarm immediately, which attracted other officers. When we inquired what happened. The warder confirmed that he received a visitor .A female who clamed she is the sister of the suspect. He confirmed the suspect received a letter from her and she left immediately.
Re: The ASYLUM by Maryroseozoiko: 10:41am On Dec 31, 2018
I closed the former thread because I didn't get enough readers
Re: The ASYLUM by Maryroseozoiko: 10:51am On Jan 01, 2019
A happy new year to you all

(1) (Reply)

A Threnody For A Nanna (in Memory Of Late. Mrs. Josephine Nnenna Nwachukwu) / EBIERE BY KARISPEN / I Want To Learn How To Write

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.