Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,624 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

A Deep Critical Thought On ASUU By A Twitter User - @fimiletoks - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Deep Critical Thought On ASUU By A Twitter User - @fimiletoks (611 Views)

Staff In Covenant University Are Raping The Students - Twitter User / The Double Standard Against ASUU By FG / NANS Reacts To Fg’s Reduction Of Jamb, Neco Fees, Speaks On ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Deep Critical Thought On ASUU By A Twitter User - @fimiletoks by Idrismusty97(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2018
Can't screenshot everything so i will just copy and paste here and give credit to the author. Before we blame the FG or even the students read this.

"I attended a FG university, graduated as a Medical Doctor tuition free. Highest amount I paid per session to the university was about 20k for 8 sessions. Roughly 200k for a course that would have cost me about 4 million naira in a private University.

Thought it was free? No

There is no free food in Freetown. The FG funded my education, subsidized my tertiary education with millions of Naira. I would have paid 4m to get that degree.

Multiply this by the number of doctors that have graduated over the years, engineers, lawyers etc.

Your education comes at a cost, the FG is taking billions in cost to educate some Nigerians, don't say FG is not funding education. They may not be doing so well but it is a huge burden.

I have been working as a doctor a decade, no loans on education..

How much have I paid back as taxes? Who will fund the coming generation with dwindling resources and rapid population growth. There is no free thing anywhere, somebody must pay for it.

What is ASUU asking for

Multiply the average cost of getting a degree in private Universities by the number of students who get free tuition in FG universities and you will have an idea of what the actual cost is to the govt.
ASUU has no right to shut down the universities based on that agreement.

ASUU is well aware of the economic indices, from recession to slump in oil prices and marginal growth in revenue.

Sacrifices must be made till we can find a sustainable way to fund tertiary education."
https://twitter.com/fimiletoks/status/1078269298412527617?s=19

"University education is a privilege even in developed parts of the world. Basic education is a fundamental human right. Right to free and compulsory primary education. Right to available and accessible secondary education..

Right to available and accessible secondary education (including technical and vocational education and training), made progressively free.

ASUU should realise that in the scheme of play, they are on the lowest rung of the ladder. The least of our worries..

The reason why we have mass illiteracy, mass under-development and unemployment in Nigeria is simply due to the skewed focus on ASUU and the Universities.

The FG has been subsidizing a privilege while neglecting the basic right of its citizenry.

I said this earlier on my TL..the FG subsidized my Medical degree and numerous other graduates of federal tertiary universities at the detriment of millions of kids out of school who are constantly being denied their basic right to education.

ASUU is not our problem in Nigeria unfortunately the FG went into an agreement to spent such a whooping amount of money on them. The FG is also the highest employer of academic labour ( ASUU ) with huge recurrent expenditure on their salaries and allowances.

FG to shift it's focus and revamp the system. China has 99% attendance in primary schools but only 9.5% of Chinese citizens have bachelor degrees.
My phone was probably made by a Chinese with basic education. Their kids exposed to coding in preschool

https:///KX9Bu3exLG

Dwindling revenue in sharp contrast with rapid population growth has now made it impossible for the FG to continue to subsidize tertiary education and fund ASUU. The decay in the educational sector is an obvious result of this fact.

It's time to let go..choose quality over cheap

Let the FG set up an educational loan system and a scholarship system.

The FG cannot afford tuition free system for every Tom, dick and harry especially the lazy and unserious students who on campus to constitute nuisance.

30% enrollment on scholarship..

1m naira per annum scholarship..give this to the best brains. Crunch the figures from JAMB statistics and factor it into our budget..

Grant the universities autonomy, let them charge their fees. Students who did not qualify for scholarship and cannot afford school fees..

Will be offered educational loans to the tune of the fees needed per session for 4 years and 5 years respectively.

Students can pay back once they become gainfully employed.

NUC as a regulator would ensure that Universities don't charge arbitrary fees or exploit students..

I am a beneficiary of the tuition free / subsidized system and I was lucky to get good and quality education. It is no longer feasible and we must tell ourselves the harsh reality.
Somebody must pay for quality education. Either the govt or us the citizens..

ASUU will keep on holding every govt by the jugular, they will go on strike with this system till infinity.
Trending hashtags and sentiments on this issue without valuable discourse around it does not show any form of intellectual acuity..

This present system has outlived its usefulness. My father enjoyed it in University of Ibadan - he had a room to himself, had meal tickets, sponsored exchange programs, free tuition, free shuttle to school..

I enjoyed it with a slight decline in quality, now it is dead..

FG should hands off and channel resources to other tiers or forms of education. We need people with skills, we want to assemble cars, phones, we need textile to boom, we need people to fabricate steel, we need IT programmers, we need skilled and mechanized farmers..

We need business men, the Ladipo type..who can turn 1m to 10m in few weeks. We need e- commerce skills. We need people to make shoes and garments..
We need to quickly grow as a nation..we need people to operate cranes, forklift, excavators ..

ASUU should realize that the method of funding University education and holding the govt to ransom via strike actions is outdated

No sentiments, the FG can no longer fund quality education for everyone.

Let ASUU resume and continue to channel a path to sustainable financing."
https://twitter.com/fimiletoks/status/1078607394626830337?s=19
Re: A Deep Critical Thought On ASUU By A Twitter User - @fimiletoks by Idrismusty97(m): 3:07pm On Dec 28, 2018
Lalasticlala , Seun

(1) (Reply)

Mathematicians/Statisticians in the house, Kindly solve / Unilorin Student Threatened With SDC By Lecturer Over Whatsapp Post / Complete Over 80 Fashion Design Training E-book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.