Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Acute Crime Rate In Port Harcourt,rivers State. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Acute Crime Rate In Port Harcourt,rivers State. (477 Views)

Missing Girl In Port Harcourt, Rivers State Have Been Found / #EndSARS Protests Rock Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Despite Wike's Ban / How People Were Packed In EFCC Office In Port Harcourt, Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Acute Crime Rate In Port Harcourt,rivers State. by Zeeyola(f): 9:05am On Dec 30, 2018
Acute Crime Rate in Port Harcourt,Rivers State.

It’s easy and less stressful to attribute the skyrocketing level of crime occurring in the state,especially in Port Harcourt to the quest for “oil money” or even more easier to ascribe it to the festive season. Why the crime rate in the state should increase during a period of supposed “celebration” of a man who according to the Christian faith,offered salvation to man that their sins be forgiven is unsettling.

Could it be that these gunmen hope to usher in the new year with overflowing pockets,or perhaps they need the right amount of money to “celebrate” this blessed day,or maybe it’s the need to have just enough to flaunt at home reunions and parties.Whatever reason,I do believe Nigerians need to be reorientated as to what Christmas is all about.

On a more important note,I, as do many others,sincerely do not believe these crime to be related to the festive season,because in fact the crime rate in Rivers state this very year has simply left us dazed and shaking in our boots,petrified as to who might be the next victim,or pawn in the hands of the perpetuators of these acts. Having gathered enough cases of killings and kidnaps by so called ritualists,cultists or desperate gunmen, I have reason to believe that if nothing is done about the situation at hand,not only would more lives be lost,we might as well be ready for a second look at Gaza without a flight ticket.

Earlier this year,circa late March,I was a victim of armed robbery. Now this was no where near festive period. And in fact it happened in broad daylight,10:00am to be precise.It’s a known fact that barb wires and bottles don’t work for these guys,they’ve trained themselves in the art of robbery.

Eventually this man found his way into the compound. Initially he had knocked on the gate claiming he was looking for a certain person whose name I was certain I had never heard. By the way,I was home alone. After speaking with him,I felt the resistance,he didn’t want to leave. It wasn’t certain he hadn’t stated what he really wanted. I got irritated that he was still standing there and so I slammed the gate in his face and went right back in.

The knock soon came again and heaven knows I should have been at alert,I wasn’t. I believed I couldn’t be in trouble. I mean,it was ten in the morning! Before I could get to the gate he took hold of me from behind. At that moment,with the blade of the knife cold against my neck and his hands shaking uncontrollably,I figured two things;

1) He hadn’t come of his own volition and if he had he definitely had someone providing him with information.

2) This might as well be his first job.

When he figured I wasn’t as easy as he might have anticipated(a facade I wouldn’t dare put on if he had a gun),as I was adamant to move into the house with him or anywhere near,he decided to leave. And that was after hurling threats and ranting about how much of a killer he was. Few nights earlier,My neighbor had been brutally hit on the head with the butt of a gun. Apparently,he tried to fight back and heaven helped him,his attacker was gifted with a certain level of patience. If this could happen during broad daylight,how much more under the cover of night?

In the light of this,these are some of the heart drenching incidents that have occurred this year,to mention but a few:

December 16th,2018

Man stabbed during struggle with robbers who supposedly asked for his phone and other valuables. The victim was rushed to the hospital and as expected in a typical Nigerian hospital,he was asked to make deposits before treatment. He died at the hospital, having lost much blood.

August 2nd, 2018

Gang of three reportedly gunned down three men,Alhaji Yusuf,a Bureau De Change operator and two of his associates who happened to be with him at the black market. The incident occurred at 10 pm after which the witnesses moved to the highway, a stone throw from the crime scene,where a police patrol team was. They explained what had just occurred and to their surprise,they were asked by the police to go after the criminals and bring them to them. This only makes me wonder how unreasonable and pathetic our police force is. Why can’t the army be mobilised? Or are they to ignore internal attacks and have no one left to defend during an external attack?

November 2018

Four shot dead after a cult war at beer parlour in Omuda village,Aluu.The source later identified the victims as cultists themselves explaining that he had been drinking with them when a call came in which necessitated his leaving. How a non cultist could be so comfortable as to sit and drink with the likes of them having the knowledge of their actions and evil deeds continued to baffle me. It’s men as these that abet evil and fail to take actions that could save the lives of hundreds of innocent people.

It would surprise you to know that our dear government has in no way addressed the issue. They have however decided to focus on the famous “Boko Haram”, insurgents,a group that would never have dug their way so easily into the country if our borders were well manned and our gluttony immigration officers weren’t so self centered. Well you ask me how massive weaponry as efficient as those they possess find their way into the country on a daily basis without being noticed.

It is now clear that Nigerians are on their own and no official is ready to fight for the safety or security of the people when they themselves cruise the streets of the state with well equipped security and bullet proof cars. Now is the time to protect our own selves in the little way we can. It’s best to stay indoors and remain there once night approaches no matter the situation. Now is not the time to live recklessly or stay out late watching football or concerts.

Those whom you watch are well guarded while you put your life at risk. Let’s ‘wise up’ and arm ourselves the best way we can.

By Okunlola Azeezat author of Red Fuse Trip currently up for sale on okadabooks.com.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Mother Of Triplets Leaves Disturbing Note On IG / Condemned Convicts Causes Scare At Court After Judgement / Housemaid Caught On CCTV Defecating In Kitchen (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.