Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Five Things That Causes Transport Hike (lagos In Review) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Things That Causes Transport Hike (lagos In Review) (242 Views)

Pirate Confraternity Welcomed Nnamdi Azikwe To University Of Lagos In 1972 / ‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different / Pan Atlantic University, Lagos In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Five Things That Causes Transport Hike (lagos In Review) by BalogunIdowu(m): 10:06pm On Dec 31, 2018
Hello guys! Good to see you around. My post for some periods now have been related to five points. Though usually, they are more than this but I keep it at that to make sort of a YOUnique sets I am working on. In this post, I'll be highlighting some points basically responsible for increase in transport cost particularly at this period which can go as high as 50% or even 100% at some instances. I have had this post for sometimes now but had to develop it at once due to some of the recent experiences lately. This is particularly narrowed to Lagos, Nigeria but may be applicable to some other parts of Giant of Africa as the case may be.

Are you ready? Here we go!

AREA BOYS: popularly known as Agberos by commuters. Many of them have joined the transport association that regulates drivers and their vehicles. Most times they are responsible for the abnormal rise in transport cost due to their selfish decisions and personal interests without considering the commuters. These sets of people have real impacts on the graphical spike of transportation hike. To be candid, they only started by staying at bus stops and exploiting the transport and now they have become a formidable force that even threatens the driver's sometimes damaging parts of their vehicles. A number of times, I have always wondered and questioned why the government can't put a halt to the activities of these sets of people but most of the reply you can guess "government will be getting their share!" Well this is open to opinion just like myself as regards the remedy to this. Let me hear your perspective.

FUEL PRICE: well, as we are still very much dependable on petroleum as a major means of powering vehicles. The implication of this is usually directly proportional because increase in fuel price causes an increase in transport and certainly an increase in the costs of products by companies or factories that powers there machines basically by generator or those that transports from places to another. Anyways, that was to show how the mathematical relation works. Therefore, it is sacrosanct that government and every agencies involved in regulating fuel price to put transport cost in check and also avoid any form of its scarcity!

FESTIVE PERIOD: These periods are usually another opportunities for transport workers to force out money from commuters. But wait, really are these not periods when the cost should be at least reduced to mark the celebration with others or am I the only one thinking in the opposite direction here. People will travel to their various hometowns both inter and intra state despite all odds. For of course, for a number of people these periods may be the only time they meet together with their other relatives in a whole year. So would they set back due to increase in transport price? Possibly no! So I'll say the festive seasons is a part of the reason for increase transport cost.

BAD ROAD NETWORK/TRAFFIC: I had to merge this because I want to keep my five intact. Sometimes, when the road network are very bad, definitely more cost on maintenance of vehicles and motorcycle and they won't surely want to lose just like every other business person. So who is at the receiving end? Definitely the commuters! This is up to the government (federal, state and local) to look into the various road networks within their jurisdictions and at least do the major ones.

The traffic in Lagos now is terrific. Well those that goes out regularly than myself would even be more obsessed on the matter. If we are to do a simple maths out of the 30 days a month and calculate the number of hours into days an active commuter spends in traffic, one will be wowed by the result! Using an average of 4 hours in traffic for 30 days a month (including weekends), this means that an individual spends close to a week i.e 5 days or about 3 days (excluding weekends) in a month. If we make this into a year which is 12 months, an individual will be spending 60 days which is equivalent to 2 months or about 36 days in traffic a year similarly as stated earlier. Try that with the number of years you have been active as a commuter and let hear the hilarious answers. Long story cut short, traffic is really a factor that causes transport cost hike.

CROWD/NIGHT: well, at least as far as I know, when transport workers observes a large number of commuters available, they'll become the boss by increasing the cost. This is really appalling like very appealing. But how can one help the situation but to complain and yet still board it. When one even knows the longer they stay, the more ridiculous the price will get. Please let this message get to those at Oshodi amongst others for this inconsiderable act!

Here comes night! Well this may not happen often but trust me, it sure does and a good number of us must have experienced this. Recently i have had a rethink of leaving for home or school late because of the syndrome of challenges that comes with it which I am sure we all know them.

Well, I am sure this serves benefitting. I do have interest someday in transportation startup which I believe could make help make little changes to the system to some extent God willing. But till then, stay safe on the high way regardless and have a wonderful 2019 in prospect.

https://balogunidowu./2018/12/31/five-things-that-causes-transport-hike-lagos-in-review/

BALOGUN IDOWU ISMAHEEL
medical student, LASUCOM.
IndigenousGenius

1 Like

Re: Five Things That Causes Transport Hike (lagos In Review) by Josephjnr(m): 10:16pm On Dec 31, 2018
Hmmm. As somebody affected directly, all these reasons you listed didn't cause the current situation but the wickedness and selfishness of an average black man.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NLC To Begin Indefinite Strike On Jan 8 / Bulk SMS Website For Sale / Should We Blame A Rape Victim; True Life Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.