Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State (29556 Views)

Man Jailed For Smoking On Board An Air Peace Flight / Free Lagos-ibadan Train Rides Record 6 Passengers In 2 Trips (pic) / Peace Mass Transit Accident: Man Shares His Testimony After Escaping Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by jeff1607(m): 11:48am On Jan 04, 2019
Zoharariel:

Stop spamming all the threads; go and enlist in the Nigerian Army.

it's not easy enlisting in the Nigerian army unless you know someone that knows someone that has someone
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by collinsVP: 1:59pm On Jan 04, 2019
dumo1:

Wait o! Are you saying that the pilot couldn't land at the intended airport but he returned to Lagos and then landed safely?

Yes o. They blamed bad weather and cancelled the flight, and passengers applied for refund.

1 Like

Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by cochtrane(m): 2:51pm On Jan 04, 2019
WaffenSS:

Even with 2 engines gone planes still glide and can, in many cases, be safety guided to land ..even though the landing is usually hard.

Certainly not in many cases. A plane with no engines is no more than a glider. With no landing space in sight, it'll more often than not end in tragedy. The 2012 Dana flight which crashed in Lagos glided to its end.
Only a sparse handful of planes which lost two engines had a positive end.
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by WaffenSS(m): 4:53pm On Jan 04, 2019
cochtrane:

Certainly not in many cases. A plane with no engines is no more than a glider. With no landing space in sight, it'll more often than not end in tragedy. The 2012 Dana flight which crashed in Lagos glided to its end.
Only a sparse handful of planes which lost two engines had a positive end.

First, If you read back, I said "in many cases" which infers non-absolution. I also did say planes with no engines are gliders.

Second, planes do glide quite well (especially when fuel is dumped to reduce weight), which counters the impression most people have that unpowered planes fall like a rock out of the sky.

Third, if you read the accident report of the Dana crash of 2012, you'll know that though they lost both engines the crash was largely as a result of poor crew resource management occasioned by pilot error.

In a lot of cases, planes that encountered engine losses or flameouts near or at 300FL can reduce altitude and glide to the nearest Airport. Many commercial flights are ETOPS compliant, placing their flight paths near airports in case of emergency.

Indeed, historically, many crashes are as a result of pilot error.

1 Like

Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by Goldenboy007(m): 5:47pm On Jan 04, 2019
People get mind o.... Nigeria that cannot operate or manage land bound motor vehicles successfully - with all the motor accidents ... You now put yourself in a very complicated device like an Airplanes God save your soul.

1 Like

Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 04, 2019
BrokenCock:
road better oh! At least u fit slap d driver head

yes

1 Like

Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by Jerryojozy(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2019
Offpoint:

So scared of what? death? I hate it when humans are scared of death, knowing you ain't living forever.

I remember when I went on journey on a company vehicle, the vehicle nearly had an accident. everyone were shouting, crying and praying. I was busy playing games on my phone, and smiling. you need the weird look everyone gave me after everything. Weird look...lol . I knw death is inevitable but not now

Fear kills
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by cochtrane(m): 8:48pm On Jan 04, 2019
WaffenSS:

First, If you read back, I said "in many cases" which infers non-absolution. I also did say planes with no engines are gliders.

Second, planes do glide quite well (especially when fuel is dumped to reduce weight), which counters the impression most people have that unpowered planes fall like a rock out of the sky.

Third, if you read the accident report of the Dana crash of 2012, you'll know that though they lost both engines the crash was largely as a result of poor crew resource management occasioned by pilot error.

In a lot of cases, planes that encountered engine losses or flameouts near or at 300FL can reduce altitude and glide to the nearest Airport. Many commercial flights are ETOPS compliant, placing their flight paths near airports in case of emergency.

Indeed, historically, many crashes are as a result of pilot error.

Yes, the primary reason for the Dana Air crash may have been as a result of poor CRM. The fact remains that once the pilot made the decision to keep going and subsequently lost the second engine just outside the Lagos skies, the plane had nowhere else to go. And while it may have glided well, it could not have been glided to safety. Aviation experts are quick to blame pilot error for most crashes since pilots are after all the only human component in the operating system, but it is important to note that sometimes even pilot expertise cannot make a crash avoidable. A gliding plane doesn't just need a good pilot, as you may think. It also needs a lot of luck and clear skies.
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by mechanics(m): 8:53pm On Jan 04, 2019
That's serious o, those who know their God won't be afraid, He has said He will protect us, His word never fails.
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by WaffenSS(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2019
cochtrane:

Yes, the primary reason for the Dana Air crash may have been as a result of poor CRM. The fact remains that once the pilot made the decision to keep going and subsequently lost the second engine just outside the Lagos skies, the plane had nowhere else to go. And while it may have glided well, it could not have been glided to safety. Aviation experts are quick to blame pilot error for most crashes since pilots are after all the only human component in the operating system, but it is important to note that sometimes even pilot expertise cannot make a crash avoidable. A gliding plane doesn't just need a good pilot, as you may think. It also needs a lot of luck and clear skies.

Nothing is completely foolproof given the right mix of variables

No one, certainly not me, is insisting that crippled planes are inherently safe. However, the notion that a plane with dead engines means automatic crash is what we're dispelling here.

Given sufficient altitude and weight, most planes with dead engines can be glided within a margin of a hard landing or controlled crash, albeit the chances of both engines going out are remarkably slim and instances of such occurrence are thankfully few in aviation history. Very few planes with engines losses have fatally crashed. Many crashes are indeed due to pilot error as evidenced by recovered FDR and CVR information, this is indisputable as the records are public.

A near certain crash is loss of critical control surfaces, or even all of them as in the case of United Airlines Flight 232 (half the souls onboard survived) and JAL 123 (four survived), or partial loss when the jackscrew of the horizontal stabilizer of National Airlines Flight 102 (no survivors) was compromised. Even this is quite rare.

Planes have very good safety records, but improper information leads to panic and anxiety when something as simple as turbulence occurs.
Re: Passengers In Tears After Escaping An Air Mishap, Today, In PH, Rivers State by nkem12345(m): 11:34pm On Jan 04, 2019
Mpeace:
At the point of death, some could not resist the temptation of taking pictures. If anything had happened, maybe they would have been sharing the pictures in hell.

Can you have sense small and read the post again ? Please ? Just small?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Lekki Toll Gate Fee Increment On Twitter / 162 Stranded Nigerian Deportees From Libya / Cockpit Experience From The First Plane To Land At Ekiti Cargo Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.