Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,635 members, 7,958,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:14 AM

One Thing To Consider Before Writing About Your Kids - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Thing To Consider Before Writing About Your Kids (386 Views)

One Thing Is Sure by Kayode Odusanya (Incomplete Story) / Developing Nigerian English, A Right Thing To Do? / 9 Factors You Must Consider Before Having A Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

One Thing To Consider Before Writing About Your Kids by marenx: 7:47am On Jan 04, 2019
By Maren John

I write about family, speech and writing industry

Three kids paused, watching a man, a note book on his laps
Manu Nathaniel

News sites want to publish something everyone can trust. For this reason, their managers welcome personal essayists in the name of opinion writers or columnists even with money to entertain, educate and inform readers.

On several occasions, I read such writers online publishing almost everything about their children's habits and preferences. One day, when one of them said her son said ‘he hates Donald trump’, I asked myself two questions: did she ask for the consent of her son before publishing him on this media? And did she ask herself whether her son would like what she published now when he becomes adult?

Generally, whether the answers to those questions are all yeses, the woman is wrong to publish that about her child who wasn't mature enough to understand reputation let alone to guard it.

However, for wisdom sake, I wasn’t in a hurry to say ‘no'. I considered her background first instead. As written in her bio, she was a contributing writer on a big media site that would not tolerate such opinion writers who can tell the world who they are not. And she had contributed more than 15 articles on this platform alone.

As it finally turned out, this American woman was a highly discipline and respected writer who should be thinking of the future.

(1) (Reply)

Gucci Shoe / Drop Your Instagram Username / Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.